$1000 systems based on powered speakers

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: $1000 systems based on powered speakers
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2013, 11:09 pm »
John R,

Lots of variables in this brave new world for sure. 

Note that the NuForce S3-BT does have bluetooth capability but doesn't have an internal DAC.  It's confusing because it seems like most of the reviews include their AirDAC (in fact some of the S3-BT reviews seem to emphasize the AirDAC performance while ignoring the S3-BT).

JLM

« Reply #21 on: 31 May 2013, 11:18 am »
Just some updates on what's available:

Adam F5 and F7.  Cheaper parts (mostly woofer) and a bit home friendlier version of their studio monitors ($500/700 per pair USD).  Note that Adam does offer fully domestic speakers but the cost is higher.

I've found some audiophile friendlier comments for the Emotiva 4 and 5.

And Emotiva has just released the Stealth 6 (smaller version of the raved Stealth 8 ) at $1,100/pair USD.  Not quite C&C compliant, but apparently one serious monitor.

AirDAC

« Reply #22 on: 8 Dec 2015, 01:44 am »
Normally I would say KEF all the way:

BUT I feel like they really missed the mark on the i/o section. How do you add a sub?  :scratch:

There is a modded version of a KEF X300A available with subwoofer connections at www.sunaudio.com.

JLM

« Reply #23 on: 8 Dec 2015, 01:39 pm »
Great news!  Wonder if the mod voids the KEF warrantee? 

Price (plus shipping) pushes the cost to roughly $1300 USD (without the subs of course) which is a little beyond the C&C guidelines.

AirDAC

« Reply #24 on: 8 Dec 2015, 03:10 pm »
Great news!  Wonder if the mod voids the KEF warrantee? 

Price (plus shipping) pushes the cost to roughly $1300 USD (without the subs of course) which is a little beyond the C&C guidelines.
They mention full warranty but I guess that is provided by them. The USD is strong, 925 EUR (incl. shipping) * 1.09 = 1.008 USD for the wired version. But indeed you need a sub also.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #25 on: 8 Dec 2015, 04:00 pm »
At the very low-end (price wise) of powered monitors, I am continually impressed by the JBL LSR305. Just saw them on sale for $200 a pair shipped at BH Photo for cyber monday, and you can regularly find them for about $225 a PAIR. No DAC and you need a preamp, but at that price you can put the money you save into some better front end electronics (perhaps the Emotiva Stealth?).

Mike Nomad

« Reply #26 on: 8 Dec 2015, 08:08 pm »

Yes, studio monitors can be hard to warm up to (the professional's function is to dissect, our's is to enjoy).  So studio monitors can be too ruthlessly revealing to endure long term (fatiguing).  Always interesting to find out what the professionals listen to at home (or at work to avoid listener fatigue in the first place).  Anyone care to share?

I've been using Yamaha HS8 powered monitors for years because they are detailed, revealing and _not_ ruthless. Listening sessions can go on for several hours without being fatiguing:

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/speakers/hsseries/lineup.jsp

bentconvert

« Reply #27 on: 8 Dec 2015, 08:10 pm »
Emotiva has powered monitors starting at $159 https://emotiva.com/products/emotiva-pro/powered-monitors-0
Heard them at RMAF, don't remember which models, but they all sounded pretty good.

Post #17 here http://www.head-fi.org/t/642288/emotivas-new-stealth-8-powered-monitors-any-impressions/15 is a collection of Stealth 8 impressions from RMAF

dB Cooper

« Reply #28 on: 11 Dec 2015, 02:37 am »
Audioengine has a good rep but probably would probably push the bottom line over the target number. Same with the pretty respectable Vanatoos I heard at Capital Audiofest a couple years ago. Gee, I think I better step out and pay attention...

tvyankee

« Reply #29 on: 11 Dec 2015, 03:53 am »
I don't know if you mean,the budget is a 1000 for a whole system or just speakers but if it's just speakers find a used pair of these.   KH120A NEUMANN. You will not be let down.

JLM

« Reply #30 on: 11 Dec 2015, 12:54 pm »
I don't know if you mean,the budget is a 1000 for a whole system or just speakers but if it's just speakers find a used pair of these.   KH120A NEUMANN. You will not be let down.

As good and relatively new as they are I'd be surprised to find used KH120A for sale.  The guideline is $1,000 USD for the complete system, thus the $850 KEF X300A (with built-in DAC) fits the criteria.  Besides a suitable DAC for the KH120A  alone could easily blow the entire guideline, they're that good IME.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #31 on: 11 Dec 2015, 01:30 pm »
As good and relatively new as they are I'd be surprised to find used KH120A for sale.  The guideline is $1,000 USD for the complete system, thus the $850 KEF X300A (with built-in DAC) fits the criteria.  Besides a suitable DAC for the KH120A  alone could easily blow the entire guideline, they're that good IME.

There's a pair on the 'Gon right now but even used, the price is not CC compliant. Still, interesting to see them on the used market.

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/monitors-neumann-kh-120a-active-monitors-2015-12-06-speakers-70503-lafayette-la

dburna

« Reply #32 on: 11 Dec 2015, 02:41 pm »

Y'all are making me feel like the used (practically new) pair of KH120 i got for $1k on eBay was a bargain.  And yes, they *are* that good.  Well worth the extra coin.

-dB

skifasterslc

« Reply #33 on: 11 Dec 2015, 03:22 pm »
I've been very happy with my Quad 12L active that I have had for probably 5 years now.  I paid around $700 i think.  At the moment these look really good for $500;

http://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-Sceptre-S6-Coaxial-Monitor/dp/B00FEM2SKO/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1449847026&sr=1-1&keywords=presonus+sceptre+s6

After doing some research I would opt for these over the equator line up or the successful and popular JBL LSR 305/308
Or I may go in a different direction and opt for Tekton Lore reference with a crown XLS 1500, who knows........

JLM

« Reply #34 on: 11 Dec 2015, 04:54 pm »
And I don't believe the ground rules allow for used pricing.  But the newer Quad 9AS is a $1,300/pair DAC/active speaker that looks very promising. 

Unfortunately they were on static display at Axpona last April.   :( :nono: :duh:

Jaxx

« Reply #35 on: 16 Dec 2015, 04:15 am »
There is a modded version of a KEF X300A available with subwoofer connections at www.sunaudio.com.

I have a "normal" set of KEFs X300A and would like to connect a sub while still using the internal DAC. Would it be an option to use a line output converter connected to the speaker level connections inside the speaker? This should then generate a line-level signal that I could route to the LFE input on my sub.

Example:
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/rf-hlc
http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-35-Variable-Line-Converter/dp/B001EAWS3W

Jaxx

« Reply #36 on: 19 Dec 2015, 05:46 pm »
Anybody? Help!  :)

jpm

« Reply #37 on: 19 Dec 2015, 06:04 pm »
Anybody? Help!  :)

In theory I expect that would work. The challenge would be practical and you'd probably have to disassemble the line out converter in order to get the gubbins inside the speaker box.

I use one of the PAC converters to mate an older JBL Synthesis sub to my LS50's and have been pleasantly surprised by how well such a  cheap device works

Jaxx

« Reply #38 on: 19 Dec 2015, 08:08 pm »
In theory I expect that would work. The challenge would be practical and you'd probably have to disassemble the line out converter in order to get the gubbins inside the speaker box.

I use one of the PAC converters to mate an older JBL Synthesis sub to my LS50's and have been pleasantly surprised by how well such a  cheap device works

Thanks a lot for you comments.
Would you be concerned about the converter messing with the impedance of the circuit, thus affecting audio quality of the KEF speakers? As long as the input impedance of the converter is fairly high the influence should be minimal, right?