$65 Bass Cube

Poultrygeist

$65 Bass Cube
« on: 23 Mar 2013, 12:37 pm »
Since I already had the amp which I wasn't using and some scrap plywood, the 8 inch driver and matching radiators were all I needed to purchase.

For very strong joints I used the Kreg pocket screw system ( far right ) and wood glue. I also deadened the enclosure with Durhams water putty and lined it with an egg crate foam matress topper from Target. A $13 single bed topper is enough for years of similar projects.

Poultrygeist

Re: $65 Bass Cube
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2013, 12:44 pm »
The H-frames in my avatar go down to about 40Hz and this bass cube picks up nicely from there. Instead of using the Dayton's internal crossover, I use the sub controls on the Behringer active.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2013, 12:50 pm »
Nice tight bass on a shoe string which works better than several of the larger more powerful subs I've tried in my set up.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2013, 01:11 pm »
I like it. That's just cool. I've been contemplating a (cheap) sub for my PC, and that's just the ticket.
What drivers are they?

Bob

Poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2013, 02:28 pm »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2013, 03:49 pm »
Yip, that'll work. Thank you very much.  :thumb:

lokie

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2013, 04:24 pm »
Thanks.

Any measurements?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2013, 04:44 pm »
Thanks.

Any measurements?

No but it sure integrates well which is something I've been unable to do with the Velodyne and Sunfire. It makes for some nice fast bass transients without the plodding-ness I get from the big boy subs.

There may be some measurements in the link I posted.

JCS

« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2013, 05:24 pm »
I built a version of the Triska sub.  Used plywood instead of MDF and added a lot of bracing.  I bought the plate amp which they recommended in the bill of materials.  That was a mistake!  That plate amp has a second order filter.  I was never able to get it to integrate properly with any of my speakers.  I changed out the plate amp for one with a forth order filter, and have had no trouble since then integrating that sub with my speakers.  It does a very nice job for music.  Probably doesn't hit deep enough or loud enough for home theater--at least not for those who are serious about HT.

Cheers,  Jim

Poultrygeist

« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2013, 05:57 pm »
Jim, that's good information. The Dayton I use has more power than the one they recommend. The Yung class D plates are also very good.

I kinda like using an outboard sub amp. I use two Yung plate amps in their own cases for my H-frames and although they take up shelf space it offers more flexibility.

Placing a sub amp in the sub enclosure is sort of like getting married. It's harder to try out other options. :green:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 23 Mar 2013, 06:07 pm »
Placing a sub amp in the sub enclosure is sort of like getting married. It's harder to try out other options. :green:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mr. Oczka

• Audiophile in training
« Reply #11 on: 27 Mar 2013, 01:01 am »
Your sub build has inspired me!    :D :D  My 12 year old son and I have decided to build this for his bedroom.  :duh:  I ordered the subwoofer and the passives and and we cut all of the wood today.  Tomorrow we will cut the holes and glue it all together.  A couple of quick questions for you on your build.  I see that the plans call for weight to be added to the passive woofers.  How much did you add to yours?  Did you actually have a scale to weigh the nuts?  Thank you for your guidance,

Tom

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 27 Mar 2013, 01:16 am »
My 12 year old son and I have decided to build this....

Well done Sir. Well done.  :wink:

Rclark

« Reply #13 on: 27 Mar 2013, 01:52 am »
No but it sure integrates well which is something I've been unable to do with the Velodyne and Sunfire. It makes for some nice fast bass transients without the plodding-ness I get from the big boy subs.

There may be some measurements in the link I posted.

I bet that sounds really good. My sub is similar in that it has two active drivers per side.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #14 on: 27 Mar 2013, 02:38 am »
The passive radiators take lots of washers to reach the target weight. I used a combination of both washers and nuts which I weighed on postal scales to get the exact amount. They must be tightened down ( lock washers ) so nothing rattles. To keep the bolt from unscrewing from the radiator I used thread lock on the ends.

This was such a fun and rewarding project I'm already looking forward to building another for the bedroom surround. When I do I'll put the big Velodyne on CL.

jlafrenz

« Reply #15 on: 27 Mar 2013, 03:40 am »
I have the Emotiva version of that Dayton amp siting around and have been wanting to build a sub for my PC. This looks like the perfect option. Should be a fun project in the near future.

Mr. Oczka

• Audiophile in training
« Reply #16 on: 27 Mar 2013, 05:17 am »
Poultrygeist,

Thank you for the info.   Looks like I will be making a trip to post office in a couple of hours with a pocket full of nuts and washers to dial in the correct weight for each of the passive drivers.  I even googled the grams to ounces conversion. 

This looks bad.  My son is already talking about a second sub build with the scrap wood I have laying around.

Thanks,

Tom

Poultrygeist

« Reply #17 on: 27 Mar 2013, 10:45 am »
Sorry I didn't mean that I used the scales at the Post Office.

I just have some small scales at home that I use to weigh packages and mailers.

Yeah you do have to do the conversion to ounces and I was surprised how many good sized washers it takes to counter weight the radiators.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 27 Mar 2013, 01:06 pm »
I bought a scale on Amazon for less than $10 that measures in grams.
The range is from 0 to 600 grams, in increments of tenths.

EDIT: Here's a link to the the unit.

Bob

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 27 Mar 2013, 01:59 pm »
great nice inexpensive project, nice cab work too.