Space-Tech experience?

mcgsxr

Space-Tech experience?
« on: 7 Nov 2004, 12:12 am »
I keep seeing these on Agon now and again (there are two on there now) and wonder if they are good preamps?  I know that I have had people mention them, in my previous pesterings regarding preamps.

So, anyone wanna pony up their experience with these babies?

Still looking for a tube pre with remote, but this looks like all that I want, less the remote...

cjr888

Space-Tech experience?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2004, 12:47 am »
I never ended buying one, but have exchanged many an email with Albert.  Suggest you contact him, or if you're anywhere near Vancouver, to drop on buy.  There are a handful of threads regarding his products on the Audiogon forums, and others as well -- a lot of them are linked on his site.  He's willing to help find your sound and the product to match, both by product selection, but also through custom jobs and what not based on your tastes..

Dmason

Space-Tech experience?
« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2004, 01:51 am »
Both _Richard_ and  mttbsh own QA-001 preamps, which I suggested they look into last year. Both were using it with Carver ZR Tripath amps. I believe that mttbsh loves it as much as his parents. Albert's stuff is for real, and there are some reviews on AA...

RooX

Space-Tech experience?
« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2004, 02:15 am »
its looks to be nice stuff.

is it the typical internet company where the "list" price is just for show, and you cna get the products for a fraction of what it says? or is he actually sticking to his guns and selling the gear at what its priced at?

Dmason

Space-Tech experience?
« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2004, 01:27 am »
No not internet oriented at all. He is too busy with the Asian audience that comes over to get their tube audio stuff from him.

Albert is an older electrical engineer from Hong Kong, and, like any good Mandarin menu, the stated price is just to get you going. When you add an input here, a tube rectifier there, it is like a menu.

Albert wants you to get the sound you want, and isn't interested much in dicking about over something like price. His prices are ridiculously low for the attention, and quality you get.

mcgsxr

Space-Tech experience?
« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2004, 03:49 pm »
Thanks for the replies all, I see that a sale is pending on Agon, and I know that it isn't to me...

Oh well, I will continue to search for a used one (cheap wanker that I am...) unless conversations with Albert really make me think that a custom one will do the trick - hmmn, wonder if he could sort out a way to install that remote kit on DIY Cable...

MttBsh

QA-001 impressions
« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2004, 04:33 pm »
I ordered a QA-001 from Albert of Space Tech Labs about this time last year, with an additional set of inputs to accomodate two sources.  The preamp replaced an NHT Passive Volume Control to my Carver ZR1000 digital amp.  Honestly, I have very little experience with preamps, but compared to the NHT the tubed QA-001 was better in every way - great dynamics, wider soundstage, excellent detail. I found that it pairs extremely well with the ZR1000.  
When you order one of his products, Albert queries you about the sound you are looking for, as he will hand wire the component to your preference. This isn't something one expects when buying audio gear under $500.00. The only down side I can think of is that the case is made out of some kind of funky light weight material. I plastered the inside with Dynamat, effectively doubling the unit's weight, and used ERS cloth with good effect.
Again, I don't have a lot of experience with preamps, but I believe that Space Tech Lab's products are at the very top of the cost/benefit ratio.  

PS. Dmason offered that I love the QA-001 as much as my parents.  In truth, while I adore my parents, at their advanced age they simply cannot compete with the dynamics and live energy of this amazing little preamp. Sorry m & d.

Matt

mcgsxr

Space-Tech experience?
« Reply #7 on: 8 Nov 2004, 05:20 pm »
Thanks for the info about the preamp, I guess from your comments you opted for the metal enclosure over the wooden one, personal preference I assume, not something to do with the configuration?

I guess I better have a good handle on what I am looking for, soundwise, before I speak to Albert - I will sit down and listen to the system as it stands, using my B&K pre/pro, and attempt to narrow down what I want/expect from a tubed pre.

Thanks again,

MttBsh

I don't think the "case" you select will affect th
« Reply #8 on: 9 Nov 2004, 12:35 am »
Mark,

I just went for the default enclosure in black which goes nicely with my system.  I believe it's the wiring, not  the case you choose (metal or wood) that will relate to your sound preference (which Albert will ask for).  

Matt

mcgsxr

Space-Tech experience?
« Reply #9 on: 9 Nov 2004, 12:36 am »
Thanks for the info Matt, I will have to ask him if he is against incorporating a remote, such as the kit off DIY Cable...

guest1632

Re: I don't think the "case" you select will affec
« Reply #10 on: 10 Nov 2004, 03:40 am »
Quote from: MttBsh
Mark,

I just went for the default enclosure in black which goes nicely with my system.  I believe it's the wiring, not  the case you choose (metal or wood) that will relate to your sound preference (which Albert will ask for).  

Matt

RooX

Space-Tech experience?
« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2004, 05:53 am »

guest1632

Space-Tech experience?
« Reply #12 on: 10 Nov 2004, 06:11 am »