Micro USB corrosion

jules

Micro USB corrosion
« on: 18 May 2020, 04:56 am »
On three occasions in the recent past I've come across situations where devices with lithium batteries, that are charged via mini-usb plug/socket connections, stop charging.

I had thought that this was due to either failure of the charging system or maybe the battery ageing  but given that I've been cleaning up various electrical connections recently with Deoxit, I picked up a spray can of contact cleaner and gave both the plug and socket of a couple of these devices a good sluicing out and bingo, back in action.

I suspect that just as car battery terminals tend to oxidize [partly] due to their constant electrical potential, these micro connectors probably do the same.

Worth a try ...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Micro USB corrosion
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2020, 05:24 am »
Only two usb ports of my PC are working all others are corroded, the mouse and keyboard are new, so the male connector are good, I dont know what to do to solve the prob, six months ago a PC cleaning improved the situation a little.

jules

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2020, 05:37 am »
I'm in Australia so the product names probably won't be universal but if you can pick up a spray can of contact cleaner of any type you might get an improvement. Deoxit is relatively expensive product and while it might be essential in some situations where no residue is required, I don't think that degree of fussiness would be needed here.

I'd guess that it's one of the internal "pins" that causes the problem, rather than the shell. They're small and compared to large surface area connectors favoured by audio enthusiasts, like RCAs, speaker binding posts and even XLRs, these things have a very small contact area.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2020, 11:24 am »
Used to be a product called CorrosionX. We used it to keep moisture from attacking our servo leads and battery leads in RC Boats.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2020, 07:19 pm »
There is WD40. Corrosion X is not oiled?

jules

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2020, 11:07 pm »
WD 40 repels water and removes oily stuff but I don't think it tackles the substances caused by corrosion. A couple of possibilities I've had on my shelf for years ... CRC contact cleaner, SS-113 electronic cleaner and degreaser. Deoxit have quite a range of course.