Bass not good on my xls encore build

fsdaron

Bass not good on my xls encore build
« on: 7 Apr 2021, 12:21 pm »
Need help to tame the bass. It is booming and not tight.  Tried moving speaker in my dedicated room. Any suggestions? Built crossover per Danny’s YouTube video. Has no Rez.

Folsom

Re: Bass not good on my xls encore build
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2021, 12:25 pm »
What is the rest of your stereo, room size?

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2021, 12:27 pm »
Hello... Good morning. Sorry your having some problems.

Couple things that should help the folks here answer your questions.

1. Do you have a photo of how things are setup?
2. More of a description please. Room, how far from wall.. again, photos do help quiet a bit.

It could be placement in the room, or reflection.. as well what’s driving them? Eq’ed? Flat?

Just a little more information! I would add photos of your room, placement and maybe a shot of the speakers. That should help some folks on some answers for you!

roscoe65

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2021, 12:35 pm »
Need help to tame the bass. It is booming and not tight.  Tried moving speaker in my dedicated room. Any suggestions? Built crossover per Danny’s YouTube video. Has no Rez.

It sounds like you just completed the speaker.  It really needs to break in for 50-100 hours before the bass settles in.  In the meantime, roll up a sock and stuff it in the port.  It will change it to a sealed (technically a periodic) enclosure which reduce boominess and tighten up the bass.  Once things settle in you can remove the socks and/or experiment with placement.  In my experience, these monitors do not like being really close to the wall.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2021, 01:23 pm »
Everything you guys are pointing out has already been discussed here:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=175332.msg1848668#msg1848668

« Last Edit: 7 Apr 2021, 02:29 pm by opnly bafld »

VinceT

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2021, 02:07 pm »
It's a ported cab. Mine were never boomy per se but never tight like my sealed cabs. Depending on the cross over parts could take a while to really break in also the drivers do as well. A couple hundred hours is what I heard. Mine have over 400 hours are are still getting better. I did get a pair of subs and did plug the ports on Mine and I do think they sound much more focused and punchy. They are really nice speakers, they just take some time to break in and get to know them. They sound as good as the source material and and a very good job with reproduction so take a look at your eq and what you are feeding it.

fsdaron

« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2021, 02:45 pm »
My room is 10’w x 15.5L x 7.5h. The speakers are 5’ from front wall and 32” from side walls to center of speakers.
My equipment is:
Yamaha AS-501
Onkyo C-7030
Schmitt Modi 3+
Technics SL-Q3

fsdaron

« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2021, 02:50 pm »
The sub shown is not turned on.

Why did my photo show inverted?

fsdaron

« Reply #8 on: 7 Apr 2021, 02:51 pm »
I have about 50 hours on them.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2021, 03:18 pm »
The sub shown is not turned on.

Why did my photo show inverted?

That happens to me when the size of the JPEG file is too large. If I save a copy of the file at 50% - 80%  of the size then post that pic it comes out right side up.

Do you have No-Rez inside the box? and how much stuffing (AcoustaStuff/fiberglass) did you put in the box?

Try stuffing the port and see what happens. It's an easy experiment to try and to reverse.

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 7 Apr 2021, 03:44 pm »
So is the sound the same with both digital and analog?

Bullitt5094

« Reply #11 on: 7 Apr 2021, 03:48 pm »
Just completed an Encore build a few weeks ago. My experience was, nothing changed significantly after 40 hours. These speakers are the most inefficient speakers I own and need power to push them properly. I would think the Yamaha would have enough though. Just a heads-up.

I didn't expect these to have much low end with the transducer and cabinet size. But it actually had more than I expected. Our expectations are likely different. But it certainly needs a sub with it for anything dynamic or for any clean low end. You obviously have a sub and are likely use to hearing things with it's output. These small speakers are not going to replace what you're use to hearing with a sub in play. Not even close.

sunnydaze

« Reply #12 on: 7 Apr 2021, 04:46 pm »
The real question is....

Why start two threads.......separated by a month........in the same exact circle......asking the same exact question.....when your first question has already received 2 pages of replies?      :scratch:   :roll:

fsdaron

« Reply #13 on: 7 Apr 2021, 08:01 pm »
Because none of the previous comments fixed my question about the bass.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #14 on: 7 Apr 2021, 08:24 pm »
Did you ever measure the speaker.  It's hard to say what's wrong without some type of measurement.

sunnydaze

« Reply #15 on: 7 Apr 2021, 08:25 pm »
Because none of the previous comments fixed my question about the bass.

Wrong answer!     :nono:     :lol:

You want more / fresh eyes on your question you simply make another post to the original thread, and that brings it to the top of the list.  No need to start a new thread.

PS:  provide more / better info about your situation and you'll get better answers.

Chris Adams

« Reply #16 on: 7 Apr 2021, 09:42 pm »

fsdaron

« Reply #17 on: 7 Apr 2021, 09:51 pm »
Thanks Chris for the picture fix.

Thanks to all for suggestions.

Derockster

« Reply #18 on: 7 Apr 2021, 10:06 pm »
Hi,

i think you need to go through a process of elimination starting with the fact that the speakers and their components need breaking time.
Give the speakers that time and then if that does not remove the issue then seek other solutions.

Regards

Derockster

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #19 on: 7 Apr 2021, 10:40 pm »
Do you know how to do a quick and dirty speaker measurement?  Just get a track of pink noise and play it over your system.  Then download an FFT or RTA app to your phone.  If you have an iPhone, AudioTools by Studio Six Digital Six app is great because it compensates for the iPhones non-linear mic so you end up with pretty good measurements.  It's especially useful with bass measurements because you can get up and walk around the room while the signal plays and see how/where your bass response changes.