Black hole vs original cd mat??

jamesgab

Black hole vs original cd mat??
« on: 26 Jan 2010, 03:17 am »
Which should I try?  I am tempted to get both!

San Marcos

• Music soothes the soul...
Re: Black hole vs original cd mat??
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2011, 08:14 pm »
The audiolab Super Black Hole has been impressive. With the mat, my Naim 555 has a more accurate representation of the timbre of vocals and instruments. Overall better resolution and imagery.

I am concerned though. Is it possible the mat might be putting more strain on the transport mechanism because of the extra mass it adds to the CD?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2011, 08:40 pm »
Hi, San Marcos. Most CDs and DVDs weight between about 14 grams and 16-1/2 grams. For inertia considerations, CD design parameters call for a maximum weight of 20 grams, but scarcely any CD ever weighs more than about 18 grams. The Super Black Hole CD Mat weighs a mere 0.8 grams, less than a common difference between two CDs and small enough to be insignificant to transport mehanism and motor inertia.

I'm glad the mat is working well for you.

:P Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

jostber

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2011, 12:40 pm »
Interesting, would like to check out the Super Black Hole mat myself. I can use it in my Ear Acute. Will it work in a slot loading CD player like the Meridian F80 as well?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2011, 10:30 pm »
Hi, jostber. The Super Black Hole works very well with most, but not all, narrow slot-loaders. No problem with the Acute.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

jostber

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2011, 07:28 pm »
Thanks, I have ordered it for use in my Acute. Will check out if it also works with the F80.