OPPO 203 info wanted please , to late. Bought one.

2bigears

:D hello AC good peeps.   Happy Easter !   Can anyone talk about the 203 and if I can use this machine as a transport or even CD player ?  I'm looking at buying one and it's way less $$ than its big brother.  Thanks everyone....  :D
« Last Edit: 8 Apr 2023, 09:33 pm by 2bigears »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: OPPO 203 info wanted please
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2023, 08:12 pm »
Oppo has always made good transports. Models after and including the 95 had quality Sabre chips and excellent DACs.   I don't think you'll find better for the price. 

Oops.  The 203 doesn't use those chips.  I like the sound of the 95,105, and 205.  Can't speak to the other models.   

2bigears

Re: OPPO 203 info wanted please
« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2023, 08:46 pm »
 :D well that's not the best news I've heard ,, haha.  I don't just want a transport, just bought the machine from down in your country.   I'd like it to play CDs and maybe sorta well,  I know the 205 is killer. But way to much $$  :D

Doublej

Re: OPPO 203 info wanted please , to late. Bought one.
« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2023, 10:39 pm »
Says 7.1CH/5.1CH/STEREO AUDIO OUT on the back so I expect it can play CDs. It also has OPTICAL and COAXIAL outputs on the back so I expect it can be used as a transport.

2bigears

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2023, 10:55 pm »
 :D I hope and think your correct.  I wanted to buy a CD player so we will soon hear the internal dac.  Or I can us it as a transport but not my 1st choice.  The Great blue ray is wonderful to have on the side too. I have two of their 1st DVD players and they work great. They were like soooo cheap. This player sold for 600 bucks ,, I paid more.  Now that don't happen everyday.    :D

artur9

« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2023, 11:14 pm »
I've used mine as a transport on-and-off.  It's fine.  I've also used it as a preamp in a movie setup where it was more than fine.  Those multichannel outs work very well.

Also, OPPO themselves still stand behind the machine.  On another forum, someone had a problem (dirty drive?  sticking tray?).  OPPO fixed it and sent it back in last than 24h for a reasonable service fee (not including shipping).

2bigears

« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2023, 12:25 am »
 :D you know I wonder if their crazy good business model sent them packing.  Great machines at a great price and service unreal. That don't happen much anymore in our throw away world. I can't wait to hear it as a CD player.  Then a transport. Then get a crazy $$ dac and see what the fuss is with these new ladder dacs or maybe the PS audio dac that upsamples. So much gear, so little $time$ .  Happy Easter  :D

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2023, 03:23 am »
:D you know I wonder if their crazy good business model sent them packing....
Nope.  They just came to the realization that streaming would displace 95+% of their customer base.  They put most of their resources into their brand of smart phones.   

artur9

« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2023, 03:01 pm »
I'd totally buy an OPPO "video streaming device" to replace my Rokus.

2bigears

« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2023, 06:44 pm »
 :D didn't even know ,,as usual, they even made these. The dac from a 205 and a streamr.  Can't lose, my next buy. Lots of those for sale. Just what I need for the 203,,,,, Happy Easter Bunny 🐰 Day.   :D