GAMERTAGS for Halo 2

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« on: 8 Nov 2004, 08:33 pm »
If you want to play Halo 2 with your fellow ACers (remember this puppy will be LIVE! enabled) let your gamertag be know here!

I am "skybox".

You may have seen me on the Ghost Recon leaderboard  :uzi:

jqp

• Volunteer
GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2004, 07:48 pm »
picked up my Limited Edition at lunch....

mcrespo71

GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2004, 12:58 am »
My GF picked it up for me today, but I won't play it until next week.  

I'm "Blur Rocks" on Live and prepare to get wasted!  :lol:

Michael

bubba966

GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2004, 02:16 am »
I'll be getting my copy sometime soon. A friend of mine picked me up a copy at the MS company store, I just need to pick it up from him.

I don't recall my gamertag on Live so swell, but I think it's the same as my AC handle... :oops:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2004, 03:38 am »
Picked up the game this afternoon, but I currently don't have a Live subscription.

Maybe I will need to do this to really enjoy the game.

George

mcrespo71

GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2004, 05:14 am »
I think if you are into shooters or sports games, then Xbox live is essential to get the best out of the games.  Halo 2 is supposed to have an excellent 15 hour single player game, but apparently is best when played on live.  All the shooters I have (Rainbow 6/Ghost Recon/Crimson Skies) are far better on Xbox live and I don't play them unless I go online.  If you decide to get Xbox live, George, look for one of the Xbox live packages that has a pack in game (the best pack in game I've seen with the headset and year Xbox live subscription is Crimson Skies, which is a kick ass dogfighting game).  Anyway, if you get on live, give me your username and we can form an AC clan on Halo with JQP/Babcock/& Bubba966 and get our asses beat by some 12 year old kids.  What the hell, Xbox live is about socializing online as well, so even though we may suck, it will be fun.

Michael

jqp

• Volunteer
GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2004, 04:21 pm »
I played about 7 hours last night. The "campain" is an evolution of Halo 1 in many ways - a few new weapons a few new features, better this better that.

The real difference is the multiplayer aspect with the amazingly detailed stats, based on chess rankings and other ranking systems. You can be online with your team, or a random team and play all types of games. So far it looks alot like the multiplayer mode for Halo 1 which I had limited experience with.

I first tried the multiplayer mode and got my butt kicked. Realized pretty quickly that I was trying to play it like Ghost Recon. The field of view is different and of course the control buttons are different. I kept trying to see more in my field of view and wasting reaction time messing with the controller. So I decided I had better practice on the campain. After a few hours I felt like I was in the groove again.

What was weird is that after a couple of levels, you switch to playing a Covenant Elite (which you can be in multiplayer mode) for a level or two. The Elite light sword is a powerful weapon - the flood guys don't seem to get up after you kill them with this thing...

And then it was 3am all of a sudden. I think I made it to level 3 or 4 but I am not even sure - the transitions seem to be more subtle. Tonight I will try my hand at multiplayer again...

pjchappy

GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2004, 05:13 pm »
Damn, I may have to break-down and get an X-Box!  

How much is the subscription to Live?

p

mcgsxr

GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2004, 05:40 pm »
I have to comment on that avatar pjchappy, it is still making me laugh when I see it!

Nice job.

mcrespo71

GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 2004, 06:52 pm »
Quote from: pjchappy
Damn, I may have to break-down and get an X-Box!  

How much is the subscription to Live?

p

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000209V8K/qid=1100112614/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-1335133-7925657?v=glance&s=videogames&n=507846

$70 for 12 month subscription/xbox communicator/and the Crimson Skies game, which I originally paid $50 for.  This will allow you to play any live compatible games online, but you must have high speed interconnect.  

Michael

zybar

• Volunteer
GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #10 on: 10 Nov 2004, 06:57 pm »

mcrespo71

GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2004, 07:07 pm »
Nice find, George!  I bought Xbox live about a year ago with no pack in game for $50, so for $10 more you get the excellent Crimson Skies.  I was just charged $50 for another year, so I guess that must be the yearly rate.  Either way, I spent countless hours online last year, so the $50 was definitely worth it.  BTW, for you newbies to Xbox Live, if you want good, cheap sports games, the ESPN series are a steal at $19.95 NEW!   I just picked up ESPN NBA 2K5 and already own ESPN NFL 2k5, which I've played like hell online.  I'm looking forward to ESPN MLB 2k5!!!

Michael

bubba966

GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #12 on: 10 Nov 2004, 07:32 pm »

jqp

• Volunteer
GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #13 on: 10 Nov 2004, 07:53 pm »
Yeah $56 for a 1 year subscription, headset and a decent game is a great deal. What is Evercrack per month - $13? And apparently you have to stay up all night just to play that.

I makes me want to get another XBox just so I can get that deal!  :lol:

I realized today that I do need a new XBox controller. I wore 2 out so far and tried a $19 3rd-party controller which included an extention cable and a cd case. It was just not the same as the MS controller for response and it was a different shape and size. I finally got used to it for Ghost Recon though. Today I realized that it probably affected my Halo play last night - no wonder it didn't feel the same!  :uzi:

bubba966

GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #14 on: 10 Nov 2004, 08:19 pm »
Quote from: jqp
I realized today that I do need a new XBox controller. I wore 2 out so far and tried a $19 3rd-party controller which included an extention cable and a cd case. It was just not the same as the MS controller for response and it was a different shape and si ...

3rd party controllers have always sucked. It was true 20 years ago, and still is today.

And sometimes, they're so bad that they damage your console! :o The Playstation was one console that was particularly fragile as far as 3rd party controllers/ec's went. I've personally seen a few of them get fried through the controller port just from using a crappy 3rd party controller or extension cable. It's occasionally happened on other consoles, but it seemed to happen on the PS more than any other console I've been familiar with.

Just go pick up a controller S. I don't know if EB still sells warranties on peripherals, but they used to. Was nice if you had a console that you were wearing out controllers on....

gonefishin

GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #15 on: 10 Nov 2004, 11:31 pm »
uh oh...I've got no gamers tag!  :o

I have, however, had an x-box live kit for over a year...I just haven't gotten around to hooking anything up.

I have comcast broadband cable upstairs, a computer and an x-box with and x-box live kit.  

What else do I need? a wireless router maybe...is there anything I should look for?  

I'm not going to be on the computer and gaming "live", so I really don't think I need to call comcast to get a comcast pro connection for two computers.  But I'm not sure...

...what do I need?

thanks,
  dan

mcrespo71

GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #16 on: 10 Nov 2004, 11:35 pm »
How far is your Xbox from your cable modem?  I run a 25 foot cable from my Xbox to my cable modem, but you can go wireless if you have a router.  I believe you need to buy a wireless adaptor for the Xbox, which I believe MSFT makes.  If you can just run a cable modem hookup cable from your Xbox to cable modem, this is the cheapest route, but many can't do this.

Michael

zybar

• Volunteer
GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #17 on: 11 Nov 2004, 12:13 am »
Quote from: mcrespo71
How far is your Xbox from your cable modem?  I run a 25 foot cable from my Xbox to my cable modem, but you can go wireless if you have a router.  I believe you need to buy a wireless adaptor for the Xbox, which I believe MSFT makes.  If you can just run a cable modem hookup cable from your Xbox to cable modem, this is the cheapest route, but many can't do this.

Michael

THis is much cheaper than the MS wireless adapter:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=78662

George

mcrespo71

GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #18 on: 11 Nov 2004, 12:25 am »
I bought the 25 foot ethernet cable from Radio Shack for about $12, so this is the cheapo way to go.  The Xbox has an ethernet data port on the back, so you are ready to go, if you have the cable.

Michael

zybar

• Volunteer
GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #19 on: 11 Nov 2004, 12:30 am »
Quote from: mcrespo71
I bought the 25 foot ethernet cable from Radio Shack for about $12, so this is the cheapo way to go.  The Xbox has an ethernet data port on the back, so you are ready to go, if you have the cable.

Michael

Agreed if you can do it.

My cable modem is on the second floor of my house and the Xbox is in the basement.  Wireless is the only option in this case.

George