Poll

Two Part Poll: AC Power Deliver Equipment: How many outlets? Audio or Home Theater System?

Six Outlet Unit / Audio Only?
7 (33.3%)
Six Outlet Unit / Audio & Home Theater?
0 (0%)
Twelve Outlet Unit / Audio Only?
3 (14.3%)
Twelve Outlet Unit /Audio & Home Theater?
6 (28.6%)
Offer Six and Twelve Unit Versions?
5 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: 16 Feb 2004, 10:21 am

How Many Outlets Do You Need For Your AC Power Delivery Gear

Robert C. Schult

Hi ACer's.

An associate and I have been working on an AC Power Deliver System. Actually, he's been working on this for a good length of time with breaks here and there. He's now at a place where it's design is nearing completion. I've been adding input where I can.

We both believe this unit will address issues that we don't see anyone addressing and it will be unique in the market. Preliminary auditioning of the prototype is producing some outstanding performance beyond what was expected so we're quite confident this thing is going to be a real gem...cut, finished and polished!

We probably wouldn't be taking this poll if we were simply doing something similar to what other companies are doing but we're not. This thing is going to be an all out assault on AC power deliver and as such, the old saying "The best things in life ain't cheap" ( I think that's an old saying :? ) is certainly relevant. The outlet devices themselves are considerably expensive so, the reason for the question...6 outlet unit, 12 outlet unit or offer the option of two units with 6 or 12 outlets. The poll will help plan for inventory which, depending on what people prefer, will affect the selling price of the unit(s). Plus this may help my associate with things he's thought of that, at this point I'm not aware of.

I should mention that this piece of gear works awesomely not only with audio only rigs but should work wonders in home theater systems as well where twelve outlets may be more of an issue.

If you have questions you need answers to before you poll, post them here and we'll address them best as we can.

Thanks for participating and for your input!

Robert C. Schult

« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2004, 11:05 am »
Oh...perhaps to establish some credabilty for my accosiate, Dean, this was posted at on AudiogoN...

02-03-04: Gordus
Hello Deano! Market research? I use three to four on my BPT in my 'big' room (cdp, pre, amp, tuner or sometimes an integrated) plus a OneAC for a sub. In the bedroom I use six on four OneAC's (one for the TV, one for a receiver, one for a vcr/cdp and one for a cdpr/head amp). Hope this helps...
Gordy
Gordus  (System | Answers)

02-04-04: Deano
Hey Gordy!....you remembered! Yes, I am getting closer and since I do not do home theater, I thought the best thing to do was to put the question out there to the people that do. Looks like 12 is the right number of outlets for the HT group but I would also offer a 6 outlet model to bring the price down and accomodate the users that do not have the need for 12. Thanks for the responses!
Deano  (Threads | Answers)

02-05-04: Gordus
Way cool and congratulations! I figured it had to be you and couldn't resist responding. Please keep us informed, coming from you this baby should rock... and thanks again for all the help in the past!
Gordy
Gordus  (System | Answers)

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2004, 02:50 pm »
to clear up what seems to me as ambiguity, 1 outlet (i.e. Hubbell) typically has two plugs?   Are you referring to the 'plugs' as outlets, or the hubbell outlet as 1?

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2004, 02:55 pm »
For me, I am in the midst of seperative my power delivery between my audio and HT even though they are still integrated.

Audio:
1 plug for CD player
1 plug for TT
1 plug for Phono
1 plug for preamp
1 plug for amp
1 plug for Tuner

HT:
1 plug for plasma
1 plug for DVD player
1 plug for PVR
1 plug for HDTV Tuner
1 plug for pre

Carlman

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2004, 03:43 pm »
How isolated will the outlets themselves be from each other?  I would want to split amp and preamp from source gear.  

-C

byteme

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2004, 04:04 pm »
For me the differnece wouldn't be between HT and Audio, it would be between digital and analog.  Then, as a subset, ideally, having each of the digital duplex outlets be totally isolated from each other.  If it were possible in the Analog one, have at least one, possibly two duplex outlets that were not current limiting in any way.  One outlet if you thought that you could plug two big amps into it without current limitation.  Although with the number of monoblocks users out there now, 2 duplexes might work out better.  

When we built our addition I ran 2 dedicated 20Amp lines for the HT and audio gear.  Each is terminated in only one duplex outlet.  Now I wish I had terminated each in at least two outlets so I would have 8 plug ins.  You can never have too many (well, you can but...) however, I thing flexibility is really key between digital and analog.

Robert C. Schult

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2004, 06:31 pm »
The outlets...good question. We had this discusion and Dean has decided it would be best to use discrete single outlets. I agree.

Dean will perhaps shed some more light here early this evening.

Till then...

rosconey

« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2004, 06:40 pm »
i ran 3 dedicated lines last year-now i am moving them for a dedicated 2 ch room :roll:

i am thinking about building a long strip for the outlets that is on the floor so i dont have to cut more walls :o

bubba966

« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2004, 07:30 pm »
If I'm remembering right I'm using 18-20 or so for my system. So even 12 outlets isn't enough... :lol:

Lak

« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2004, 01:19 pm »
Audio two channel:
1 plug for Transport
1 plug for Dac
1 plug for TT
1 plug for Phono
1 plug for preamp
2 plugs for monoblocks
1 plug for Tuner

Best Regards...

Lak

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb 2004, 09:10 am »
I've got all 10 outlets in my BP2.5 filled with a power strip plugged in with 2 more. Guess I'd say 6 duplexes or 12 outlets all tho the extremist would probably need more. Give me a year and I'll probably want 16! :lol: Regards, Robin

orthobiz

8 minimum
« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2004, 02:37 am »
If you have a TT and you're at all tweaked,
8 bare minimum. Besides, 6 makes it sound like every
other "power strip."

biz

Deano

« Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 2004, 02:36 pm »
Please allow me to clarify what constitutes an "outlet": One (1) outlet will enable you to plug in and power up one component. If you have 12 components, you will end up plugging into 12 outlets. Each outlet is isolated from all others. Filtering of noise is addressed and shunted at each outlet. Noise generated from one component will not reach and affect any of the other components plugged into any other outlet. In addition, each outlet has individual power optimization circuitry which will guarantee full AC power delivery to the component utilizing that particular outlet. Hope this helps...Deano

SCUBADON

• http://24SCUBA.COM
how many outlets
« Reply #13 on: 1 Mar 2004, 12:40 am »
2, one for the amp and 1 for the Wadia. KISS