STA-9

SFDude

Re: STA-9
« Reply #300 on: 10 Jul 2017, 06:55 am »
Thanks, Jack, Dave, Michael and Rafa for taking the time to read and post your thoughts. I bought the dac10 from Singapore and has less then 100 hours on it yet. Tried it as a pre with my A30 and PL as power amp and as a dac into the PL, both had given me more details, without doubt, but either it's not fully broken in yet, or, I'm having a new auditory experience, is a big question. I am listening to Allan Taylor now as I'm writing this reply, and as mentioned getting amazing details. There is no chance for any "trials/return" as I return to Singapore only twice a year. Guess I'll let it burn in more and hopefully get used to the more neutral sound, then decide on which to add. Thanks again and sorry for a long read.

Raymond,

I think you should probably start a new thread about the DAC-10. It might be worth to provide further observations there. Having said that, I also have a DAC-10 that I use in DAC-only mode now. I can provide more details and also some comparisons with another DAC I have (PS Audio PerfectWave DAC II).

-dave

Tan Raymond

• Retired and coming back to music after 30 years
« Reply #301 on: 11 Jul 2017, 02:29 am »
Thanks Dave, I came into this thread as I'm considering the sta 9, but looks like many here are favouring the st10, due to it's overall better detail and presentation. I will end here then. Thanks to all.

1st1015

« Reply #302 on: 11 Jul 2017, 09:53 pm »
I have a sta-9 with Dynaudio Emit M10 bookshelf speakers (6 ohm). Does anyone know if adding a 2nd sta-9 could make any improvement? I mostly play music at low to moderate volume.

I've read that 2 sta-9 in mono is great but does it matter at lower volumes? Or is it more about control at high volume?

rustydoglim

« Reply #303 on: 12 Jul 2017, 04:41 pm »
STA-9 in mono mode feels more "punchy" (this is not simply due to extra power, but the custom opamp circuit in mono mode).
But since you play at low volume and probably jazz, classical music, so the improvement won't be dramatic.
Actually you can get just test it with one channel by turning your stereo STA-9 into mono.
Play STA-9 in stereo mode but only either left or right channel. Then mono to the same channel for comparison.

MFM72

• Life's too short & the End is nigh
« Reply #304 on: 21 Jul 2017, 06:23 pm »
Hi guys,

New to the Circle, would like to get some inputs in regards to prior purchasing a pair of STA-9s.

Currently running a Marantz CD/PM6006 thru KEF LS50 / ATC SCM 11 and I need the extra grunt to get the most out of these speakers hence the pair of STA-9s, apart from the obvious pairing of the DAC-9, is there any other recommendations/ experience that you might have in regards to other brand of pre-amps? Is there anything specific that I should be looking for/at for when looking at other alternative brands of pre-amps WITHOUT losing the 'warmth' expected out of the STA-9s?

FYI my music ranges from mostly female vocals, 4/5 jazz ensembles, progressive house & the occasional classicals ( Vivaldi-esques )..

drumnman2

« Reply #305 on: 21 Jul 2017, 07:57 pm »
The Absolute Sound and also Nuprime, in a follow up, found the STA 9's not a good match for LS50 due to brightness. I am using STA 9 with Sonus Faber and hear no such brightness whatsoever.

jmiguelbarone

« Reply #306 on: 21 Jul 2017, 10:50 pm »
Brightness or any other aspect of sound it is the result of all the audio chain, not one particular component. Sometimes something as a power cable or toe in on speakers can do significant changes in the sound.

The brave reviews on the major press with the LS50 doesn't say that this speaker is "bright".

What do you like more? the LS50 or the ATC scm11 ... both are great speakers, really.

MFM72

« Reply #307 on: 22 Jul 2017, 12:48 am »
The Absolute Sound and also Nuprime, in a follow up, found the STA 9's not a good match for LS50 due to brightness. I am using STA 9 with Sonus Faber and hear no such brightness whatsoever.

Have done a bit research on the LS50s so-called 'brightness' and users have found using tube amps resolving the 'problem' hence the decision to use the STA-9s for their 'tube-like'/warm sound. I notice that the LS50s are very sensitive to cable selections, most noticeably from my recent switch from Audioquest FLX/SLip4 to Telerium Q Blue, where the mentioned 'brightness' was most noticeable ( too much tech i guess in the combo :) )

Was considering tube-amps i.e. Primalunas, Unison Research, Bob Carver Black Magic, etc ( surprisingly it 'gels' with these so-called 'low-wattage' amps) but personally don't like the hassle that comes with it, hence again the STA-9s.

As for the SCM 11s, I love the 'naturalness' of its presentation esp. with timbre instruments whilst the LS50s its 'preciseness' esp. with progressive house music and both do well with female vocals, albeit in their own personal way. I tend to alternate usage, depending on my mood.

As mentioned, I am in need of more 'grunt'/power to get the best of of both speakers ( they 'breath' way easier/dynamically, with the extra power as reviewed)

in1unison

« Reply #308 on: 22 Jul 2017, 08:46 am »
@ MFM72

My experience with STA-9/DAC-9 combo is quite opposite (Monitor Audio GX 200, BJC LC-1 interconnects, BJC White Ten spaker cables) although I listen to more or less the same type of music you do. Found sound to be too soft and subdued comparing to ST-10/DAC-9 or my old system (Yamaha A-S1100/CA Stream Magic6). Finally settled on bi-amping Yamaha (HF/MF + pre-amp) and ST-10 (LF) using DAC-9 as DAC only.

l guess it just shows how different all of us are in tastes in sound presentation and music perception.
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2017, 02:57 pm by in1unison »

drumnman2

« Reply #309 on: 22 Jul 2017, 11:55 am »
The Absolute Sound review is May /June 2017  if you care to read the review. His bottom line was only recommended if you have speakers with rolled off high frequencies.In the manufactures follow up directly from Jason Lim he states " we have confirmed in our lab that the ls50 does not work well with STA9. The LS50 high frequencies are emphasized by the even order harmonics of the STA9 and sounded harsh. He did however like the ls50 with the IDA-16." Having had  STA 9 for 1/12 yrs I was shocked at the review but don't have LS50's. I would think if anything the highs are a little soft but that's also dependent on the rest of my system. Try them and send them back if you aren't happy. I think they are wonderful for a modest cost with a huge soundstage and a sound you can listen to all day without fatigue. Depends on what type of sound you are after.  Good luck.

MFM72

« Reply #310 on: 23 Jul 2017, 05:30 pm »
The Absolute Sound review is May /June 2017  if you care to read the review. His bottom line was only recommended if you have speakers with rolled off high frequencies.In the manufactures follow up directly from Jason Lim he states " we have confirmed in our lab that the ls50 does not work well with STA9. The LS50 high frequencies are emphasized by the even order harmonics of the STA9 and sounded harsh. He did however like the ls50 with the IDA-16." Having had  STA 9 for 1/12 yrs I was shocked at the review but don't have LS50's. I would think if anything the highs are a little soft but that's also dependent on the rest of my system. Try them and send them back if you aren't happy. I think they are wonderful for a modest cost with a huge soundstage and a sound you can listen to all day without fatigue. Depends on what type of sound you are after.  Good luck.

Though I love the idea of 'auditioning' at home that option is not remotely available where I live, in fact I would have to fly to another country to buy the equipment and as far as I know they do not have any return policy (except for manufacturer defect) hence the dilemma. And there I thought my quest for 'warmth' without the hassle of actual tubes, at a decent price & package has been settled for the LS50s  :duh: ...I guess that's part & parcel of the hobby...so the search goes on...IDA-16  :| aye, but would it be enough, grunt-wise, for the SCM 11s though  :roll:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #311 on: 23 Jul 2017, 05:58 pm »
IDA-16  :| aye, but would it be enough, grunt-wise, for the SCM 11s though  :roll:

200 watts not enough?  :scratch:

Recommended Power Amplifier:  75 to 300 Watts

FWIW the 5 solid state amps I have used are 50, 70, 150, 100, and 375 watts/ 8 ohms (in order of preference).

MFM72

« Reply #312 on: 23 Jul 2017, 06:13 pm »
200 watts not enough?  :scratch:

Recommended Power Amplifier:  75 to 300 Watts

FWIW the 5 solid state amps I have used are 50, 70, 150, 100, and 375 watts/ 8 ohms (in order of preference).

Looking at your avatar seems ur driving the SCM 11s...do you like it at 375watts or less? I'm aiming for 'optimum' if there's such a thing for it  :green:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #313 on: 23 Jul 2017, 06:47 pm »
My system is in a fairly large room, but I listen at 80~85 dB average, so the sound quality of amp is way more important to me than watts.

Amplifiers ranked according to sound IMO:
1) 50 (watts/ch 8 ohms)
2) 70
3) 150
4) 100
5) 375

Amplifiers listed according to retail price (lowest first):
1) 100 (watts/ch 8 ohms)
2) 375
3) 70
4) 150
5) 50

MFM72

« Reply #314 on: 23 Jul 2017, 07:08 pm »
My system is in a fairly large room, but I listen at 80~85 dB average, so the sound quality of amp is way more important to me than watts.

Amplifiers ranked according to sound IMO:
1) 50 (watts/ch 8 ohms)
2) 70
3) 150
4) 100
5) 375

Amplifiers listed according to retail price (lowest first):
1) 100 (watts/ch 8 ohms)
2) 375
3) 70
4) 150
5) 50

I do agree with the 'quality' being a priority but due to almost a non-existent of what might constitute as a 'hi-fi' shop in my country, the need to have a-one-all solution in regards to equipment plays an important role in choice of equipment specs, and having ample 'wattage' when needed, say, in the pursuit of better dynamics, power is everything imo (though i cud be wrong), lest I enjoy paying the extra USD$400-500 more ontop of the retail price AND the travelling time (4hrs total by plane), my options though varied takes quite a toll on oneself hence the need to 'have it when needed', if that makes sense...enjoyong this hobby from where I'm at is a bit challenging  :green: but I do know what your getting at, but then again that's my dilemma  :cry:

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #315 on: 24 Jul 2017, 03:32 am »
MFM72, for what is worth, I went through a silimiar dilema and the inability to test the components (albeit with different speakers).

Finally, I decided to go for the near-reference ST-10 to avoid any issues.  It's more money, but perhaps it helps take some of the guessing out of the equation? Of course, the warmth you are seeking for is the signature of the STA-9s, but perhaps the better control of the ST-10 is good enough?

Perhaps searching users with your speakers and the ST-10 would yield success stories you could relate to?

Best regards,
Rafa.

MFM72

« Reply #316 on: 16 Aug 2017, 07:11 pm »
Thought had the perfect amp pairing to drive both of my speakers when I came across NuPrime but I guess it was not meant to be so off to the ever exciting hunt for the perfect amp  :green:

Bill_Bill

« Reply #317 on: 31 Aug 2017, 06:00 am »
Just wandering does anyone know what is the peak output current and voltage of STA-9? Thanks!

pewe

« Reply #318 on: 25 Mar 2019, 02:44 pm »
I wonder if you have any experience what Nuprime amp to choose if you have a pair of speakers with low sensitivity - the ST-10 or two STA-9 in bridged mode? I have a pair of wonderful Mark&Daniel Maximus Monitor which I really like but the draw-back is that they need a good amplifier to handle the average efficiency of only 85db. Here's a link to the speaker: http://www.mark-daniel.com/index.asp?ProID=82&table=pr

Since I already have the excellent DAC-9 I guess the natural choice would be two STA-9's and I also like what you are saying about the warmer voicing on the STA-9. But I would really would like your input whether this is a good match for a speaker with an effiency of 85 db. Are the STA-9 in bridged mode up to the job or are the ST-10 a better choice?

rustydoglim

« Reply #319 on: 25 Mar 2019, 07:23 pm »
I think you should choose between the STA-9 mono and ST-10M (mono).
If budget is not the deciding factory, then base on sound characteristic and your preference of music.
ST-10M is just one step below the Evo One and it is a "safe choice".  I don't recall anyone ever complain about ST-10/10M.