$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #1200 on: 14 Apr 2010, 09:56 pm »
Here are a few more...I have one more to take but I need to finish the part.   :D :hyper:

Normally I would solder every terminal.  I wanted to show that this DIY kit could be done with basic tools.

bprice2

« Reply #1201 on: 14 Apr 2010, 10:05 pm »
But, you did put solder to the RCAs, right?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1202 on: 14 Apr 2010, 10:09 pm »
But, you did put solder to the RCAs, right?

:duh:  Yes, RCA and XLR.   :oops:

Yes, 10 is still way less time consuming then every one.  My kit was done it less then 2 hrs. 

bprice2

« Reply #1203 on: 14 Apr 2010, 10:10 pm »
:duh:  Yes, RCA and XLR.

Thanks...couldn't be certain from the pics.

Nick77

« Reply #1204 on: 14 Apr 2010, 10:44 pm »
Jason
I realize it might take you some time to adjust to the Super, but when your able I am curious if you can detect any differences between xlr and rca.  :green:

Steve did you ever try balanced?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1205 on: 14 Apr 2010, 10:47 pm »
Jason
I realize it might take you some time to adjust to the Super, but when your able I am curious if you can detect any differences between xlr and rca.  :green:

Perfect timing!  I was just messing around with that.  In my system, I don't think there was a difference. 

Nick77

« Reply #1206 on: 14 Apr 2010, 10:49 pm »
Ahh so it would appear that the new input reciever Tom is using gives the single ended user all the benifit of balanced.  :scratch:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1207 on: 14 Apr 2010, 10:51 pm »
Ahh so it would appear that the new input reciever Tom is using gives the single ended user all the benifit of balanced.  :scratch:

Why the  :scratch:?

Nick77

« Reply #1208 on: 14 Apr 2010, 10:53 pm »
I guess i dont understand it but i sure am enjoying being able to benifit from the Super while only running rca's.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1209 on: 14 Apr 2010, 10:58 pm »
I guess i dont understand it but i sure am enjoying being able to benifit from the Super while only running rca's.

I'm confused now.  sorry.

steve k

« Reply #1210 on: 14 Apr 2010, 11:31 pm »
Steve did you ever try balanced?

I really don't have that opportunity with my setup. Since I'm biamping, everthing from the preamp runs though my active crossover which is single ended. I'd have to use a crossover with balanced inputs and outputs to take advantage of the balanced input of the Super D.

I think what Keith is referring to is Tom told me originally when I demoed the Supers that he thought they sounded a little better using the balanced inputs. It sounds as if the differences are miniscule in your system, JT, which is good news to Keith and I.

steve

ttan98

« Reply #1211 on: 14 Apr 2010, 11:58 pm »
Hi,

I am interested in building one of these(ie 120W/C version) Class D to drive my woofer section. Has anyone here measure the actual output power of this amp driving 8 or 4 ohms? I have read at least half of the postings here haven't found any report.

Thanks.

pjchappy

« Reply #1212 on: 15 Apr 2010, 12:05 am »
My journey (finally) is about to really begin.  I won't be able to whip out the soldering iron until this weekend.

It is the CDA-254 amp with the heavy-duty power supply.  Tom adjusted the gain to 24 dB based on the specs of my preamp.  I will be making two of these.

Case -- From jtwrace (a big thanks to him for a great job done!)

IEC -- Furutech FI-10 Gold -- from CryoParts
Binding Posts -- from CryoParts
RCAs -- from CryoParts
XLRs (not shown) -- Neutrik (used, for now, just to fill the holes)
Fuse; Fuse Holder; Power Switch -- RadioShack

Wire:

Hookup -- Silver plated copper wire (may use some shielded Canare cable I have. . .not sure yet. . .suggestions???)
Power -- stranded Belden or misc solid core copper
Power Cable -- Volex 17604

Paul

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1213 on: 15 Apr 2010, 12:34 am »

Jason, your last photo is blurry and unrecognizeable, and if I didn't know from previous descriptions that it is probably a photo of the power light reflecting off of the shelf....well, I wouldn't know what it was!

However, if that photo were rotated 90 degrees and used as a photo overlay on 2' X 4' acoustic panels behind each speaker (mirror imaged, of course), I think they would be absolutely gorgeous!

Steve

Just for you:

I aim to please.   :)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1214 on: 15 Apr 2010, 12:36 am »
Case -- From jtwrace (a big thanks to him!)
Paul

You're very welcome.  I'm glad that you like it!  :thumb:

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #1215 on: 15 Apr 2010, 12:41 am »
'Tis a cool case!  :D

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1216 on: 15 Apr 2010, 12:44 am »
'Tis a cool case!  :D

Thanks Blair!   :thumb:

pjchappy

« Reply #1217 on: 15 Apr 2010, 12:52 am »
I would have put this together a couple months ago, but I was waiting for jtwrace's custom case.  For those of you that don't know, the case comes with all the cut-outs, etc. for the binding posts, RCAs, IEC, fuse holder, power switch and transformer.  It also has the ability to take ANY configuration of amp(s) combination(s) you can think of, including using 2 modules.  VERY well thought out and HIGHLY recommended.  Will not only save you labor, but is also a very clean, simple set-up.  Those of you that are wanting a case for your Class Ds, I would jump on this one ASAP. :thumb:  Even fits the new Super Ds.  I'm not a big DIYer, so this case is a big plus for that reason, too.

Thanks again, Jason. :notworthy: Can't wait to get this thing up and running this weekend. :dance:

Now, I just have to really start saving up for the reason I got these amps in the first place. . .a BIG speaker upgrade, in which I am going to actively biamp (maybe even triamp).  A couple small toys, bachelor part, wedding, and medical bills have definitely taken their toll. . . :banghead:  Hoping to swing the speakers in 2 months. . .

Paul

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1218 on: 15 Apr 2010, 02:04 am »
I would have put this together a couple months ago, but I was waiting for jtwrace's custom case.  For those of you that don't know, the case comes with all the cut-outs, etc. for the binding posts, RCAs, IEC, fuse holder, power switch and transformer.  It also has the ability to take ANY configuration of amp(s) combination(s) you can think of, including using 2 modules.  VERY well thought out and HIGHLY recommended.  Will not only save you labor, but is also a very clean, simple set-up.  Those of you that are wanting a case for your Class Ds, I would jump on this one ASAP. :thumb:  Even fits the new Super Ds.  I'm not a big DIYer, so this case is a big plus for that reason, too.

Thanks again, Jason. :notworthy: Can't wait to get this thing up and running this weekend. :dance:

Now, I just have to really start saving up for the reason I got these amps in the first place. . .a BIG speaker upgrade, in which I am going to actively biamp (maybe even triamp).  A couple small toys, bachelor part, wedding, and medical bills have definitely taken their toll. . . :banghead:  Hoping to swing the speakers in 2 months. . .

Paul

pjchappy

Thank you very much for the kind comments.  It means more then you can imagine.   :thumb:

Bemopti123

« Reply #1219 on: 15 Apr 2010, 02:11 am »
JTwrace, pardon my ignorance, but isn't there any provisions for either a on/off switch in your case or is your amp design always on?  I purchased a on/off toggle switch for the amp and I wonder how it would fit in your case.  BTW, I am in a quandary about making my ClassD amp with 2 modules, PS module and the transformer.