What's your favourite colour? Sonneteer is asking.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
  • Managing Director and Founder at Sonneteer
    • Sonneteer, made in Britain since 1994
What's your favourite colour? Sonneteer is asking.
« on: 16 Dec 2013, 10:35 am »
Here at Sonneteer we have been offering a number of colour options for a while now. The standard black and Silver have been the most popular, but then they do not have a premium added to the price. we would certainly be interested to know how important the aesthetic and indeed the colour is to you when buying a hifi product?

Ok, clearly this does not have any influence on the sonic performance of the product (though if anyone has evidence stating otherwise we would be intrigued) but is it significant enough a factor when making your choice? If so which colour would be ideal?

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

Guy 13

Re: What's your favourite colour? Sonneteer is asking.
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2013, 10:59 am »
Here at Sonneteer we have been offering a number of colour options for a while now. The standard black and Silver have been the most popular, but then they do not have a premium added to the price. we would certainly be interested to know how important the aesthetic and indeed the colour is to you when buying a hifi product?

Ok, clearly this does not have any influence on the sonic performance of the product (though if anyone has evidence stating otherwise we would be intrigued) but is it significant enough a factor when making your choice? If so which colour would be ideal?

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk
Hi Haider and all Audio Circle members.
First choice: White
Second choice: Red

Guy 13

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2013, 11:03 am »
Thank you Guy,

Red we have had many requests for, but white has nor been on our radar. Our panels are all aluminium and anodised. Would this then put red at the top of your list if you were buying a product like that? Or would you still like it made white somehow?

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2013, 11:31 am »
Thank you Guy,

Red we have had many requests for, but white has nor been on our radar. Our panels are all aluminium and anodised. Would this then put red at the top of your list if you were buying a product like that? Or would you still like it made white somehow?

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk
I think white is more neutral than red, easier to match with other items.
However, my favorite color is red, but if red, you need other items with more or less the same color, therefore, more difficult to match.
Conclusion: White.

Guy 13

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2013, 11:45 am »
Hi Guy,

Understood. Red is indeed my favourite too. Matching with other hifi components in Red is less easy that's true. But if we look at an item on its own then I imagine it is much simpler.

So what we need is either the perfect set of red from one supplier or the perfect single product in Red that stands on its own.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2013, 02:15 pm »
Hi Guy,

Understood. Red is indeed my favourite too. Matching with other hifi components in Red is less easy that's true. But if we look at an item on its own then I imagine it is much simpler.

So what we need is either the perfect set of red from one supplier or the perfect single product in Red that stands on its own.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

:thumb:

Guy 13

Just want to let you know that I've been an exclusive distributor
for Bowens International in Clacton on Sea.
They are manufacturer of hi-end professional photographic equipment.

jupiterboy

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2013, 02:24 pm »
I think any fashion churn is driven in part by color. I have seen faceplate preferences cycle. I think offering at least silver and black gives the consumer the feeling that the company intends to be around over the long haul, and is dedicated to engineering over fashion.

That said, tasteful typography and clearly and smartly labeled faceplates are as important as color, although hi-fi does get a break for funky, inshop logo design, which seems to be part of the deal with hi-fi.

I hear great things about your amps, BTW.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2013, 03:06 pm »
  Turquoise with gold trim. Deep Burgundy. White.

charles

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2013, 03:12 pm »
Very flat black (think some American college football helmets) with customer interchangeable backlit colors for lettering.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2013, 04:24 pm »
I think any fashion churn is driven in part by color. I have seen faceplate preferences cycle. I think offering at least silver and black gives the consumer the feeling that the company intends to be around over the long haul, and is dedicated to engineering over fashion.

That said, tasteful typography and clearly and smartly labeled faceplates are as important as color, although hi-fi does get a break for funky, inshop logo design, which seems to be part of the deal with hi-fi.

I hear great things about your amps, BTW.

Thank you Jupiter, you are the first Roman god to respond.

And yes indeed, the silver and black seems to be an absolute. we have been doing them both for the better part of 20 years and I can't say which has been the  most popular as everyday it changes.

We should probably say that a good aesthetic design is very important these days. I am sure that today's Red will be tomorrow's yellow and who knows what beyond. But it is not that difficult to offer one or two more colours if the customer is happy to wait. I am sure if we produced Red as a standard colour and it sold well that everyone (perhaps except Naim) would follow suit and produce their version. To be a fashion leader one has to take a lot of risk.

Thanks for the kind comments about the amps. Would love to hear from you if you get a chance to listen to one too.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

WireNut

« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2013, 04:52 pm »
Black and Deep Purple

jupiterboy

« Reply #11 on: 16 Dec 2013, 06:11 pm »
Thank you Jupiter, you are the first Roman god to respond.

And yes indeed, the silver and black seems to be an absolute. we have been doing them both for the better part of 20 years and I can't say which has been the  most popular as everyday it changes.

We should probably say that a good aesthetic design is very important these days. I am sure that today's Red will be tomorrow's yellow and who knows what beyond. But it is not that difficult to offer one or two more colours if the customer is happy to wait. I am sure if we produced Red as a standard colour and it sold well that everyone (perhaps except Naim) would follow suit and produce their version. To be a fashion leader one has to take a lot of risk.

Thanks for the kind comments about the amps. Would love to hear from you if you get a chance to listen to one too.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

One issue you have is industry standardization. If you do a red, the next vendor may do a slightly different red. Obviously there could be some industry wide coordination as we do have color matching systems.

One option that could distinguish you would be wood finishes. You may be using the box for heat dissipation so IDK if this would work.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #12 on: 16 Dec 2013, 06:58 pm »
Navy Blue, Marine Green, Haze Gray, are there other colors?

Doc

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 16 Dec 2013, 10:22 pm »
Navy Blue, Marine Green, Haze Gray, are there other colors?

Doc

Khaki of course. Not sure they will all anodise well though! :scratch:

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 16 Dec 2013, 10:26 pm »
One issue you have is industry standardization. If you do a red, the next vendor may do a slightly different red. Obviously there could be some industry wide coordination as we do have color matching systems.

One option that could distinguish you would be wood finishes. You may be using the box for heat dissipation so IDK if this would work.

Haha, we can't even all do the same black. Industry standardisation is almost like Military intelligence. Wood is often used. It's not an area we have looked into.

I think if we try to match things other than our own we will be paddling upstream.  Always food for thought though.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

Alco

« Reply #15 on: 21 Dec 2013, 11:28 am »
I think I'm a bit old-fashioned when it comes to the looks of HiFi gear.

I still prefer the classic silver and black finish. Although I can imagine a Campion/Alabaster looking pretty cool with a white fascia. 8)

My silver Campion.  Especially in the evening, with a light shining on it, this amp looks lovely to me.  :)

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 24 Dec 2013, 08:58 pm »

My silver Campion.  Especially in the evening, with a light shining on it, this amp looks lovely to me.  :)

Thank you Alco. I think you are not at all alone in being a fan of the classic. At the very least they are timeless.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

Guy 13

« Reply #17 on: 25 Dec 2013, 12:20 am »
Having owned both black and silver front equipment,
I do prefer the silver,
it's easier to find the controls in dimed lighting in a listening room.

Guy 13

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 7 Jan 2014, 08:55 am »
Having owned both black and silver front equipment,
I do prefer the silver,
it's easier to find the controls in dimed lighting in a listening room.

Guy 13

Thanks Guy, and sorry for the delay in my response. The festive period brought a new little girl to our household and sleep has been my main goal every day.

And yes we should never forget the practical which is often the victim of the beautiful. No matter what we always include a bit of silver. So even with black our control knobs and more recently buttons are silver. Hopefully we manage to cover most of the field of requirements this way.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

Guy 13

« Reply #19 on: 7 Jan 2014, 09:04 am »
Thanks Guy, and sorry for the delay in my response. The festive period brought a new little girl to our household and sleep has been my main goal every day.

And yes we should never forget the practical which is often the victim of the beautiful. No matter what we always include a bit of silver. So even with black our control knobs and more recently buttons are silver. Hopefully we manage to cover most of the field of requirements this way.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

First a Happy New Year and the very best to you and your family
and second congratulation for the new arrival.
I know what you mean about sleep, I had three, well,
not all at the same time.
I have a Rega Apollo with matt black front and honestly,
I need to put all the lights on to find the right buttons
and the remove is of not much more help.
Thanks for getting back to me, even if it took some time.
Should I say, get back to bed and try to catch up with your sleep. :lol:

Guy 13