Cheap and Cheerful System: suggestions for M3TS or M3TM based system

morganc

Any suggestions for an M3TS based system with a budget of $1300 for Dac, Amp, Pre (or integrated)?  I have the option of selling my current system and have $1300 to spare after buying the speakers.  Cables are all set and I have a PI Audio Uber Buss.  Thoughts?  Suggestions? 

*Note:  I am specifically asking for advice from Current or Past Owners of Spatial Systems who have personal experience with such a system.  I am not asking about theories, ideas, concepts, for sale items, etc. 

Basically, I am just asking for details of synergy with Spatial, i.e what are those components that combine to produce magic with Spatial speakers on a budget  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2019, 03:14 pm by morganc »

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
an integrated will usually get you better bang for the buck vs separates.  if it were me, instead of looking for a specific thing, i'd check out whats available used on the audio sites and on CL.

good luck!

Hear Clifford Brown

Here's a one box solution for $1,099.  Streamer, DAC and amp.  Actually an iPhone plugs into it for the streamer. 

https://www.miveraaudio.com/product-page/puremusic-jr

SFDude

Look into Nuprime gear, used, as an option. A STA-9 or -10 amp and a DAC-9 or DAC-10 may be within the budget depending on if a good deal comes up on the usual sites.

Have used a DAC-10 with a pair of STA-9s in monoblock config to good effect with the M3TS.

-dave

morganc

an integrated will usually get you better bang for the buck vs separates.  if it were me, instead of looking for a specific thing, i'd check out whats available used on the audio sites and on CL.

good luck!

Thank you!  I should have been more clear.   I am asking for specific advice from owners of Spatial Speakers who have built systems with the above budget constraints for their personal experience and recommendations, if any. System synergy is key and I'd rather ask people that have experience rather than just going shopping.   

morganc

Look into Nuprime gear, used, as an option. A STA-9 or -10 amp and a DAC-9 or DAC-10 may be within the budget depending on if a good deal comes up on the usual sites.

Have used a DAC-10 with a pair of STA-9s in monoblock config to good effect with the M3TS.

-dave

Thanks Dave. I have heard good things about the  synergy with Nuprime and Spatial. 

OzarkTom

If 40 wpc is enough, look at the Burson Bang amp. $399 at Parts Connexion. The Burson Swing pre/dac should match perfectly. :thumb:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/burson-swing.23566/reviews

You can roll different opamps in these to suit your taste in sound.

fredgarvin

Here's a one box solution for $1,099.  Streamer, DAC and amp.  Actually an iPhone plugs into it for the streamer. 

https://www.miveraaudio.com/product-page/puremusic-jr

Thanks for that link!

vondy

I've been very happy using my M3TS with my Yamaha A-S801. It has a built in DAC and plenty of power. I use a Node 2i as a source.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/a-s801/index.html

You can find refurbed units on accessories4less usually.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamas801sl/yamaha-a-s801-2-ch-x-100-watts-integrated-amplifier-w/built-in-dac-silver/1.html

JuleZ3C

Hi,

I've been using a Schiit stack for some time now (Bifrost multibit instead of modi mb), I've had the M3TS for a year now, listening to them everyday while playing a wide range of music.

Vidar is a bit big for the M3TS (a bit more than 2x200W RMS @4Ohms) but is delivering serious goods (bass especially)
Received an Aegir, which is more than appropriate for my listening levels, and the holographic presentation just got better (height in particular)
Saga just does the job, the stock tube is often decried, don't see why, it adds a nice touch for some tracks, or when I'm just in the mood for that kind of colorization (holo + some shine without bloated bass)
Many argue  that the new Mimby tops the old Bimby (resp. Modi and Bifrost multibit), and @250$... I can't see why it wouldn't seem so!

And all of this stack of goodness just fits neatly inside your budget!

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
Peachtree nova 220 se can be acquired for $1000 brand new. Or you can probably get a nova 150 for a bit more if you can find a used one.

SFDude

The Schiit stuff is actually scary good for the value. Have heard this on other speakers so can't say what the synergy is with the M3TSs are.

-dave

JackD

In that general price range I would contact Walter at Underwood and try to work out a deal on a new Peachtree 150 Series 2.  With my M3TS's and now M3TM's I have gotten the best sound from high power Class D.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
In that general price range I would contact Walter at Underwood and try to work out a deal on a new Peachtree 150 Series 2.  With my M3TS's and now M3TM's I have gotten the best sound from high power Class D.

The Music Room has a Nova 150 offered for $1200. Hard to beat that for price/performance ratio.

JackD

That is a good price as long as it's the newer Series 2 with the updated Icepower modules and DAC chipset.  If not it is work the extra for the new model.

morganc

Thanks everyone.  I'm still investigating options and waiting for an M3TM or M4TM to land in my home at an amazing price! 

Fr8dog

+2 on the Schiit stack. I have the Saga and Mimby. I would buy the Vidar or Aegir, but heat is a concern in my room. I'm also pleasantly surprised with my Class D Audio SDS250.

Wind Chaser

Thanks everyone.  I'm still investigating options and waiting for an M3TM or M4TM to land in my home at an amazing price!

The title states... suggestions for M3TS based system. Just to be clear, could you clarify if you're building a system around the TS or TM version?

morganc

The title states... suggestions for M3TS based system. Just to be clear, could you clarify if you're building a system around the TS or TM version?

That's the question I have!  TS or TM?   My room is a combined living room and kitchen and the room is about 20x15 with speakers at 6-8 feet apart, and with them 3 feet off the wall, I would be sitting at 6 feet to 7 feet back.  I'm concerned that this is too nearfield for the spatials.   

Question:   Would either the TS or TM be better at this relatively nearfield position?  And if not, what other suggestions do you have?  I have Tekton M Lores now and they are too small for the space, and so I have just considered going up the Tekton lineup but again not sure which in their lineup would be great in my space.  And I love the open baffle sound (former owner of GR Research Super V's and Loved them!).