Alignment Issue on Amadeus (?)

gagamut

Re: Alignment Issue on Amadeus (?)
« Reply #40 on: 14 Apr 2012, 02:14 am »
Hey Gagamut, I'm not exactly sure what you're saying.  Having both speakers symmetrically toed-in towards me is what gives the off center imaging.  I have a side wall that is about 3.5 feet from the left speaker and a huge open space to the side of the right speaker.  I needed to make the left speaker more toed-in than the right to compensate for the wall on the left and the space on the right.  If I went back to having them both toed-in equally, I would be back at square one.
Hi Erocka,
firstly,you need to use mono record  because the image or voice is exactly come from the center,. If the voice hangs to the left you can move the right speaker towards the listening position until the voice is coming exactly from the center.
hope this  can solve your problem :D

Sam

jshefik

« Reply #41 on: 7 Jul 2012, 03:19 am »
I am digging this thread up because I have unfortunately opened a can of worms by checking my alignment with the Protractor from the manual(and I opened it in photoshop, so it scaled correctly). I was shocked to see how far off it was, contacted mike who said the headshell angle should be 19 degrees

(it was at 21 or so) So I have set it at the way I interpret 19degrees:

and it is still wildly off being parallel to the protractor. I also find it odd,the x for the stylus winds up being way out by the label.

Am I totally missing something here? I will set to protractor and see what happens...

jshefik

« Reply #42 on: 7 Jul 2012, 05:49 am »
Okay, this is more like it:

The angle (if measured like in previous picture) is around 9 degrees. This is what I have been missing! I knew there was something off about the set-up. I was a bit wary of the one screw headshell design when reading the manual as a prospective owner.

Glad to be getting in the groove with this thing now!

threadkiller

« Reply #43 on: 7 Jul 2012, 01:18 pm »
That position is unlike any I've seen with an Amadeus. You need to talk to your dealer or Mike Pranka post haste. 

jshefik

« Reply #44 on: 7 Jul 2012, 01:39 pm »
I have been in touch with them. After saying I probably moved the head shell attaching cartridge, not the case, Mike Pranka said the head shell angle should be 19 degrees.The plastic protractor, picture with my big hand in there, is how I interpreted this measurement. When that again made the alignment to the Amadeus Grid still be very far off, I just aligned to the grid (which is more like 9 degrees. Which position are you referring to Threadkiller?

gagamut

« Reply #45 on: 8 Jul 2012, 01:17 pm »
your null point is it 1 7/8 inch??

jshefik

« Reply #46 on: 8 Jul 2012, 02:16 pm »
Yes it is. I re-checked the alignment yesterday ( again with DSLR in live view and 10x magnification, how did I ever do it before!) and it is spot on. It seems like such an odd spot for the null point,out by the label.

Erocka2000

« Reply #47 on: 9 Jul 2012, 08:34 pm »
I just checked mine, and when lined up to the grid, my angle is about 14.5 degrees.  19 seems like it would be way too much, as the stylus would be pointing more towards the spindle, than lined up in the grooves. 

threadkiller

« Reply #48 on: 9 Jul 2012, 08:55 pm »
jsheflk,
I meant to send a note earlier. It was just from your photo it looks severely turned to the left to me.
And I've seen 4 tables set up by the master himself....but technically I don't always know what the hell I'm talking about, so don't let me confuse you further.

how does one add photos on here? I seem to have forgotten...see, told you I'm technically flawed.
but if I was at your house I could tell you if your table was set up right or not, or if your support was good or shite, by listening. lol...

Erocka2000

« Reply #49 on: 9 Jul 2012, 09:09 pm »
The easiest way to add photos is to use a photo-hosting site, like Flickr or Photobucket, then link to the picture on said photo-hosting site in your post. 

Basically, put the link to the pictures in between [ img ] and [/ img ].  Don't leave the spaces inside the brackets.  (Not sure how this is actually going to post)

jshefik

« Reply #50 on: 9 Jul 2012, 11:15 pm »
I just checked mine, and when lined up to the grid, my angle is about 14.5 degrees.  19 seems like it would be way too much, as the stylus would be pointing more towards the spindle, than lined up in the grooves. 

Erocka so your cantilever is lined up to the grid, and you see 14.5 on a protractor when viewed from above, like in the picture of mine?

Threadkiller, no problem. Putting the cantilever on the grid makes more smiling faces! I noticed that my head shell had a bit of play, so after getting the head shell close, I could get the cantilever right on. Seems to me this should be part of the TT's set up process as being a bit off with the cantilever must have an effect. (though it did not sound obviously horrible when I had it a whopping 10 degrees off!)

threadkiller

« Reply #51 on: 10 Jul 2012, 12:20 am »
I see... luckily when I put mine together the head shell stayed put, I mounted the cartridge, and did more arm adjustments to get it parallel, and then the ball just so in the goo. What some of you have had to do, either from fiddling errors, or because you just plain want to fiddle, is go back to the old ways of x's and lines and paper. I let Mr F do that! :) if he says it's good then it's good.
But, he can compute and theorize all he wants, and he has!, I just want to sit and listen. And boy does it sure sound great.
Good luck out there! I'll try and get a photo of mine up soon...

jshefik

« Reply #52 on: 10 Jul 2012, 01:08 pm »
Mr. Killer, I did not want to do any fiddling, that was one of the many great aspects of this Table for me. I was very careful not to change the headshell during set-up, and that's why it was not until I could not get it to do the things I had read about, that I resorted to the Grid. I must say it is scary how good it sounded with the head shell angle so far off.

On a totally different topic: Is there any benefit to using both counterweights on the arm? I see it used that way in some photos (the 6 Moons review that was set up by a dealer) I went by what I saw on their website, and went with just one. I have a feeling there is no difference...

Erocka2000

« Reply #53 on: 10 Jul 2012, 01:49 pm »
Yeah, with mine lined up on the grid the angle is about 14.5 degrees.  I'll try to take some pics soon.

As for using both counterweights, I do, because it allows the weight to be closer to the pivot point, which is considered better than being further away.   

threadkiller

« Reply #54 on: 10 Jul 2012, 02:34 pm »
Yes, use both the silver first and then the black counterweights.

gagamut

« Reply #55 on: 10 Jul 2012, 03:36 pm »
Hi,
after i saw your guys suggest use both counterweights,and then try right now,the result is better than before,thanks
 :D
Sam

threadkiller

« Reply #56 on: 10 Jul 2012, 03:37 pm »
It takes a village... :)

bung99

« Reply #57 on: 10 Jul 2012, 09:26 pm »
That makes it a bit easier to get the weight as I like it for my benz. I thought about it but did not try it until now.

Also I use a bolt under the silicon cup to adjust hight of silicon on the ball (a 1/4 turn of the bolt gives a micro adjustment). This makes it easier for me as it took the hit and miss of trying to slide the cup up or down with one hand while tightning with the other .  Of corse remove the bolt when have it where you want it after tightening up the key lock. :thumb:

Thanks

tricka

« Reply #58 on: 17 Jul 2012, 03:07 am »
I have set head shell with xx2 as per the grid alignment (approx 9 degrees) and confirm, to my ears, it sounds much better than the factory setting at 19 degrees. More sense of space, more detail/precision and far less distortion. Overall a very positive change. I also agree that good its sounds at 19 degrees. But to my ears there is no comparison.

One would have thought, at the very least, that the grid alignment (from the manual I received) and the factory setting should be consistent, whatever the true position actually is.

Kind Regards
Andrew

jshefik

« Reply #59 on: 17 Jul 2012, 04:06 am »
Andrew,

Yes, I have puzzled over this also. I have never gotten an answer to the question about the 19 degree number not being close to the grid alignment from the manual. I will believe my ears also and forget the number. Have others checked their headshells to the grid here? I also wonder why a grid was provided (at full scale!) to double check the correct position.

James