Alignment Issue on Amadeus (?)

Erocka2000

Re: Alignment Issue on Amadeus (?)
« Reply #20 on: 14 Mar 2012, 01:05 am »
I have a Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena phonostage that I used with both the Rogue and the Sansui, so the phonostage is okay.  I'm going to do a few more tube combinations tomorrow.  After that, I might try to replace the fuses.  If that doesn't work, I'll just have to call my dealer or Rogue.  I really can't wait until I get my Leben CS600.  Just 10 more months  :thumb:

threadkiller

« Reply #21 on: 14 Mar 2012, 01:40 am »
Oh cool, you're getting a cs600? From In Living Stereo?
Very nice.   Very nice indeed. You'll love it.
With what speakers?

Erocka2000

« Reply #22 on: 14 Mar 2012, 01:44 am »
Yeah, I'll be returning to In Living Stereo.  I buy myself one big ticket item each year.  This year was the Amadeus/EMT.  Next year will be the Leben and the following year most likely the new DeVore Gibbon 88s.  I'm currently using the original DeVore Gibbon 8s, which I love.  Later this year I hope to get some Auditorium 23 speaker cables and interconnects.  One step at a time. 

threadkiller

« Reply #23 on: 14 Mar 2012, 02:25 am »
Excellent plan...

jsawyer09

« Reply #24 on: 14 Mar 2012, 12:54 pm »
Great to see you've narrowed it down! Even happier it wasn't the Well Tempered...

Erocka2000

« Reply #25 on: 21 Mar 2012, 03:13 pm »
I'm at a loss folks.  Over the past few days, I've experimented setting my equipment up in various different ways.  I've changed speaker position, toe-in angle and distance from the walls.  I've changed every wire and interconnect, changed all my tubes, used various different amps and I'm still getting having the off center problem with the TT.  I listened again to some CDs and they are centered.  I really think something may be wrong with either the output of the TT or EMT cartridge.  I'm going to call my dealer today to see if any of this is a known issue.  It sucks, but it's making me crazy. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #26 on: 21 Mar 2012, 03:23 pm »
Yeah, call that dealer. That is what they are there for. A clear example of the benefit of buying from a dealer.

I don't recall, do you happen to have a multimeter, SPL meter and vinyl test disk? They would be very helpful in sorting this out. And are good tools to have around in general.

Erocka2000

« Reply #27 on: 21 Mar 2012, 05:56 pm »
I don't have any sound tools, other than some SPL meter I downloaded on my iPhone.  But I just spoke with my dealer and he's going to come out one day this weekend to have a look.  Fingers are crossed.

Erocka2000

« Reply #28 on: 9 Apr 2012, 02:37 pm »
Well, consider me Lord of the Idiots.  I wound up doing some more speaker placement test this weekend in order to finally resolve this skewed music issue.  And what do you know, I fixed it.  Apparently one speaker has to be more toed-in than the other to compensate for a wall being on the left side of it vs. the other speaker which has an open space to the right of it.  I feel like a complete fool.  I apologize to Mike Pranka for wasting his time.

That said, everything is now perfectly centered and I had a great weekend listening to tunes.  For anyone else who is having similar problems, room and speaker placement can have very serious effects on soundstaging and imaging. 

threadkiller

« Reply #29 on: 9 Apr 2012, 03:08 pm »
Makes no sense, though, in that you said your digital was perfectly centered.
Well, glad you're sorted, in some ways! Lol. 

Erocka2000

« Reply #30 on: 9 Apr 2012, 03:39 pm »
Well on some real critical listening with the CD player (I hadn't been listening to all that many CD's as of late), it became apparent that they were not as centered as I had thought.  I was normally listening to more fuzzed out rock, that can tend to blur the imaging a bit.  When I put in a more mellow CD, I was able to tell that the sound wasn't centered.  So from that, I positioned the speakers to fully focus the sound. 

I guess I was trying to keep the speakers perfectly symmetrical, but my room wasn't having any of that.  Live and learn, I suppose. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #31 on: 9 Apr 2012, 03:49 pm »
Out of curiosity, which speaker in a situation like yours needs toe-in, the one nearest the wall?

threadkiller

« Reply #32 on: 9 Apr 2012, 03:50 pm »
Excellent conclusion.
Now you can move on to the wonders and the glory of the Amadeus. 

Erocka2000

« Reply #33 on: 9 Apr 2012, 03:54 pm »
The speaker closer to a wall is the one that need more toe-in.  It is now facing directly at me.  The speaker on the right, with the open space, is now pointed just to the outside of my ear. 

gagamut

« Reply #34 on: 10 Apr 2012, 02:25 pm »
The speaker closer to a wall is the one that need more toe-in.  It is now facing directly at me.  The speaker on the right, with the open space, is now pointed just to the outside of my ear.
Hi Erocka,
i think you place one speaker more toe-in,may be it's not correct,you can see this link for reference;http://www.sonicsonline.de/download/bedienungsanleitung_de.pdf :D
and one think,if you want center the image,you need MONO record 

Erocka2000

« Reply #35 on: 10 Apr 2012, 03:04 pm »
Hey Gagamut, I'm not exactly sure what you're saying.  Having both speakers symmetrically toed-in towards me is what gives the off center imaging.  I have a side wall that is about 3.5 feet from the left speaker and a huge open space to the side of the right speaker.  I needed to make the left speaker more toed-in than the right to compensate for the wall on the left and the space on the right.  If I went back to having them both toed-in equally, I would be back at square one. 

threadkiller

« Reply #36 on: 10 Apr 2012, 03:18 pm »
Since you're getting so much effect off your side walls, you may just have your speakers spread too far apart.  Try moving them more into the room.
Every audiophile thinks he/she needs to spread their speakers to the ends of the earth.  Too much spreading, I say!

code4246

« Reply #37 on: 11 Apr 2012, 01:27 am »
Not just audiophiles but audiophool writers.

There was an infamous article in Hi-Fi Snooze many years ago that said if you want a wide soundstage then just put your speakers in the corners of your room.

:lol:

threadkiller

« Reply #38 on: 11 Apr 2012, 05:16 am »
If I did that with mine I'd have a standing wave worthy of Pugent Sound.

Erocka2000

« Reply #39 on: 11 Apr 2012, 01:56 pm »
Honestly, my speakers are only about 6.5' - 7' apart.  Living in Brooklyn, space is at a premium.  I can't move everything to the right (to get away from the wall), because my kitchen table is right there.  And I don't want the speakers much closer together than 6'.  Such is the price I pay for living in the big city.