DA-RMa in the Modwright room at RMAF2009

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
DA-RMa in the Modwright room at RMAF2009
« on: 28 Aug 2009, 07:50 pm »
Modwright will be using a pair of our DA-RMa speakers (cherry) in their room 1010 at RMAF!  this is the room right off the elevators on the tenth floor.  There is an amazing synergy between Dan's work and mine and we're really looking forward to this show! The pair is breaking in at the shop and I'm blown away by what the recent changes in the base (solid maple) and the new Cardas posts etc have done to the sound. The KWA 150 just makes these sing.... with authority. Thank you Dan for making a killer amp!

thanks,
Lou

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: DA-RMa in the Modwright room at RMAF2009
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2009, 01:56 am »
I can only imagine it will be an amazing sounding room :green: Just curious but how did the decision of the DA-RMa come about vs some of your other offerings Lou.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2009, 01:59 am »
Lou,

Happy to hear that you are working on the speakers now.

Way too many vendors leave the show equipment to the last moment and wind up using gear that isn't broken in and ready to strut its stuff.   :nono:

Hopefully I will make it out there and get to hear your room.

George
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2009, 12:43 pm by zybar »

JAMn Joe

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.jamnaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2009, 04:08 am »
George,

I'm glad they don't use broken gear :duh: But it should be broken in   :thumb:

Sorry, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to capitalize on your missing word :lol:

Hope you don't take it the wrong way, it just sounded funny the way you ended up writing it.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2009, 12:42 pm »
George,

I'm glad they don't use broken gear :duh: But it should be broken in   :thumb:

Sorry, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to capitalize on your missing word :lol:

Hope you don't take it the wrong way, it just sounded funny the way you ended up writing it.

Oops!   :oops:

I corrected my obvious mistake above.

Now that I think about it, I have seen examples where gear is not functioning properly (and it wasn't caused by shipping damage) at shows.

George

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2009, 04:10 pm »
I can only imagine it will be an amazing sounding room :green: Just curious but how did the decision of the DA-RMa come about vs some of your other offerings Lou.
hi Bill,  the Modwright room is smaller than mine and the DA-RMa won't visually overpower the room the way the Ulysses might. also I will have the Ulysses at the end of the hall in my room and it will be useful to also show the DA-RMa with essentially the same gear.
George, the speakers are all done and playing 24/7 with the KWA150's till the show. I'll pickup the 36.5 preamp next week!
thanks,
Lou

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2009, 04:21 pm »
That makes sense Lou. I was just curious. Good to see manufacturers not putting in their largest speaker just to show it off. Too many small rooms at shows seem to have speakers that are too large.
 We might have gear there but I will not be able to personally make it out. Wish I could be there to hear the Ulysses but maybe someday. :drool:

Audioclyde

« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2009, 12:34 pm »
Hi Lou,

I'm interested in your thoughts on the solid maple bases--I've partially filled the bases for my DA-RMa's and as you know I'm very happy with sound......but us audiofools are always ready and willing to look for improvement!!!

Thanks,

Randy

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2009, 12:15 am »
Hi Lou,

I'm interested in your thoughts on the solid maple bases--I've partially filled the bases for my DA-RMa's and as you know I'm very happy with sound......but us audiofools are always ready and willing to look for improvement!!!

Thanks,

Randy
hi Randy,
the new maple bases sit between the speaker and the original base. it couples with the speaker cabinet, further tightening up the cabinet/resonances.  the effect is a deeper more defined bass and overall better imaging.  with some isolation ie: EquaRack or Mapleshade footers between the original bases and the maple slabs the sound is further enhanced by using that to isolate the speaker from the floor.  this way we are isolating and coupling with two discreet systems instead of trying to achieve both with one system ie:spikes etc. it really is quite a difference!

thanks,
Lou

Audioclyde

« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2009, 11:43 am »
Thanks for the update Lou.  I'm traveling and know you are busy with show prep, but lets try to talk next week about some maple bases for my DA-RMa's.

Randy

jazdoc

« Reply #10 on: 6 Sep 2009, 03:39 pm »
Randy,

I can heartily recommend purchase of the maple platform.  The difference is readily audible. I presume the maple is neutralizing a cabinet resonance.  (Perhaps, Lou can jump in with his thoughts.)   I'm using the platform in combination with the EquaRack footers and the combination is an incredible improvement for the money.  You get more bass extension which is higher quality and more articulate.  A composer friend of mine who uses a subwoofer good to 20Hz was astounded by the improved bass response in my room after inserting the tweaks.  Secondly, the higher frequencies are cleaner and clearer.  Finally, the overall presentation is cleaner and more coherent.  Unexpectedly, the noise floor drops and my systems needs less power to produce adequate listening levels.  My theory is that the speakers are no longer having to work so hard to overcome vibrations transmitted back into the cabinet and drivers.  As another buddy of mine remarked that "the speakers have a better grip on the music". 

I'd be interested in "hearing feedback"  aa from others regarding these upgrades, especially those folks who have tried other isolation products such as the Mapleshade, etc.

Lou, I'll see you at RMAF, if not sooner!

Mark 

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 7 Sep 2009, 08:39 pm »
here's a pic of Dan's pair of ebonized walnut Ulysses with the maple stands. In 3-D the stands look even better with the walnut. The Modwright shop is really cool, and it's a great sounding room as well. I was there friday and had a chance to play a bit of guitar in there, what a treat!

Audioclyde

« Reply #12 on: 8 Sep 2009, 04:49 pm »
I played around a little bit a couple months ago, trying Herbie's big fat dots between the DA-RMa's and the stands, and then later (after removing the Herbie's), I tried some iso anti vib pads (the cork/rubber corrugated pads) under the spkr stands in place of the spikes.  I thought either of these tweaks/changes made things too warm and a bit muddy....so sounds like I need to try the maple bases.

Randy

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #13 on: 8 Sep 2009, 04:59 pm »
Lou,
Here's a better, more 3D pic.  Nice job!

dodgealum

« Reply #14 on: 9 Sep 2009, 01:14 am »
Lou:

Those maple platforms look pretty neat. Are they available for the DA-1.1's (i.e. to fit the footprint of the speaker) and  if so how would you recommend incorporating them into my setup?  How would the maple platform interface with the speaker bottom and what would I used between the bottom of the platform and my hardwood floor? 

Sorry I can't make it to RMAF--it looks like it is all coming together for a great demo!

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 11 Sep 2009, 08:19 pm »
Lou:

Those maple platforms look pretty neat. Are they available for the DA-1.1's (i.e. to fit the footprint of the speaker) and  if so how would you recommend incorporating them into my setup?  How would the maple platform interface with the speaker bottom and what would I used between the bottom of the platform and my hardwood floor? 

Sorry I can't make it to RMAF--it looks like it is all coming together for a great demo!
Mark, they would go between the plinth and the speaker, you could then add isolation blocks between the plinth and the maple base. that way you are accomplishing isolation with one set of components (spikes/plinth/iso-blocks) and coupling/resonance reduction with another component (maple base).  another option which may be visually cleaner is to have me install 1/4"-20 inserts in the bottom of the maple base and just use that with the speaker (no iso-blocks), this will get you most of the improvement (80% or so).

sorry I won't see you at the show, but I understand not being able to get the school to close for you....

best,
Lou