Icon-2 subwoofer question for 2.1 setup

Zep2575

Icon-2 subwoofer question for 2.1 setup
« on: 28 Oct 2010, 08:21 pm »
I have just installed the Icon-2 on my 2.1 desktop using Focal Sib speakers and an old JBL 10" 150W subwoofer.  I replaced a Trends 10.1, mostly to get the improved features of the DAC, headphone amp, sub out, multiple inputs, and front turn off.  Even the black case looks better on my desktop (why the white rubber stand for all colors though?) 

One question.  My old JBL 10" does not have an internal crossover.  (With my Trends 10.1 setup I was using a Line Out Converter for sub connection.)  The sub was purchased years ago as part of an inexpensive home theater 5.1 package and, admittedly, is probably marginal quality.  It will be a little while before I can upgrade though.  In the meantime, would inline crossovers, like the F-Mods, be advised?  Say at 70 or 100HZ? I assume that the Icon-2 is passing all frequencies to the sub and the sub is using whatever default low pass filter was built in (the manual doesn't say).   It sounds a little muddy but that may just be the sub no matter what I do.     

Thanks for any help.  And I look forward to hearing from other Icon-2 owners.  I'm really interested in their comparison to the original Icon.   

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Re: Icon-2 subwoofer question for 2.1 setup
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2010, 04:06 am »
The Icon2 line out passes all freq out since it might be used for other purpose than sub.
Even though the price goes up by 50%, the improvement over Icon is well worth it.  24bit/96kHz USB DAC, better headphone amp, double the power.