Novice Needs Help With OB Build

taipan1013

Novice Needs Help With OB Build
« on: 16 Mar 2021, 08:22 pm »
I need your help please.  Below you will find a OB speaker I built.  I am not happy with the bass output.  I think I made a mistake of using the Eminence Beta 15A rather than the Eminence Alpha 15.  I am considering either trading the woofer to the Alpha 15 or adding an active crossover.  I would appreciate members recommendation on how a can improve the sound (particularly the bass response) on my OB build.

Thanks for considering to help.

I built the following open baffle speaker. 

<image.jpg>

<image.jpg>

Using the following components:

Tweeter

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-pt2c-8-planar-tweeter--275-085

Mid-Range

http://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w8-1808-8-neodymium-full-range-driver--264-894?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=G_MFG_TU_Products_Exact&utm_group=264-894_E_G100-200

Bass Woofer (2 bass drivers for each speaker)

http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-beta-15a-15-driver--290-410

This is the crossover design:

<image.jpg><image.jpg>

Sincerely,

Greg Edwards

taipan1013

Re: Novice Needs Help With OB Build
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2021, 10:37 pm »

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2021, 02:05 am »
Are you using one amp or two (three)?
I would use a separate amp with gain controls for the woofers; like Crown XLS xx00 / xx02 or a pair of plate amps.

ttan98

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2021, 03:56 am »
Hi,

I built something very similar to yours a few years back. My suggestions both for good sound and optimal costs in mind.

1. Between the tweeter and mid-range use passive xover, fairly cost-effective and not too difficult to design
2. Active 2-way using 2by4 MinidspHD, the one channel driving the Tweeter and mid and the other driving the 2 woofers in parallels, this way you can control the frequency response very easily. The sound is very good indeed.
3. The tweeter and mid-range use tube or solid stage to drive them, you don't really lots of power, an EL84 push-pull(not expensive) or even a single-ended tube or prefer solid-state use LM1875 or 3886, all these amps sound very good.
4. The bottom end woofers use a high powered digital amp, so many around and cheap too.

BTW the ALpha 15 is not really a real improvement on the Beta 15. You need to spend more money to buy a better 15 or even 12in woofers. Look at the SB Acoustics 12" or 15" open baffle woofers, I haven't heard them you still need to do more research before buying. For my system my woofers are my weak link, so spend more money on getting high-quality woofers.

Your speakers should sound very good once you finish with them. Huge sound stage, great clarity and openness.

Good luck.