Android Hotspot

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Android Hotspot
« on: 26 Feb 2011, 06:46 pm »
Doesn anyone here use their Droid as a hotspot?  If so, how do you do it? 

Scott F.

Re: Android Hotspot
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2011, 08:24 pm »
Yep,

I'm using it right now as my home network went down and I'm too lazy to go reset the router.

Basically all you do is turn on the Hotspot app. You'll have to configure the app's security settings to allow your laptops to connect. After that, just go into the wireless settings on your laptops, 'refresh' your available network list and click on your Droid in the list and connect.

Pretty simple. It took me about five minutes to get it set up and start surfing the first time.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2011, 10:14 pm »
Yep,

I'm using it right now as my home network went down and I'm too lazy to go reset the router.

Basically all you do is turn on the Hotspot app. You'll have to configure the app's security settings to allow your laptops to connect. After that, just go into the wireless settings on your laptops, 'refresh' your available network list and click on your Droid in the list and connect.

Pretty simple. It took me about five minutes to get it set up and start surfing the first time.

Which app?  Linky.   :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2011, 10:25 pm »
Which app??? I have Droid Eris...upgrade to iphone on Verizon in August but this would have been really handy a couple days ago..

Scott F.

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2011, 12:10 am »
Well, it should already be install on your phone :scratch: If you go to the 'All Apps' menu, it should be there and named Hotspot.

If It's not, it manes me wonder if your phone has a capability of acting as a wifi hotspot.

Which phone do you have? I'm running the Evo 4G (Sprint).

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2011, 01:32 am »
Well, it should already be install on your phone :scratch: If you go to the 'All Apps' menu, it should be there and named Hotspot.

If It's not, it manes me wonder if your phone has a capability of acting as a wifi hotspot.

Which phone do you have? I'm running the Evo 4G (Sprint).

:scratch:  I've got the original Droid (slide out keyboard).  So you go to Marketplace and use the droid apps and HOTSPOT is the one?  I seem to get a few of them...

Scott F.

« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2011, 02:19 am »
:scratch:  I've got the original Droid (slide out keyboard).  So you go to Marketplace and use the droid apps and HOTSPOT is the one?  I seem to get a few of them...

Well, I can't say for sure as mine came preloaded on my phone. That said, take a look at the apps availible and find the one that works with the Android platform (software) revision you are running. It "should" work.

Be sure to read the ratings for each of the developers as the users doing the rating usually let you know if the app works reliably. Also, there are several forums out there that cover the Droid. They can be a tremendous help too. Here is the one I passively read on occasion;
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/#android

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2011, 07:58 pm »
I just got my Evo 4G too.  I dropped my Touch Pro 2 (Windows Mobile) in the snow and didn't realize it .  By the time I found it after the snow melted, it wasn't any good.  :oops:  Anyway, mine came preloaded with hot spot as well.  Good stuff.  My only "complaint" is battery life.  The way I use it, it needs to be charged everyday.  I can't go the weekend without charging it.  At work I just synch it to PC which charges.