Any of you had problems with Rockbox on Imod?

Loftprojection

Any of you had problems with Rockbox on Imod?
« on: 21 Apr 2007, 06:41 pm »
Just got a brand new imod from Vinnie at the Montreal show!  I started by loading the battery and testing it with the loaded software to make sure everything was ok.  Since I would really like not to have to use itune, I immediately decided to load Rockbox and use my extensive library of flac files. 

Downloaded Rockbox from rockbox.org, current build for "ipod color/photo". 

Unzipped and loaded everything as described in the manual.  Did the ipodpatcher and reboated the ipod. 

Then it took at least 2-3 times of pressing the "menu/select" buttons before this thing finally booted with Rockbox.  Loaded a few flac files, started playing one and about halfway through the first song, zap, the player stops working.  Same thing again, takes 2 to 5 times of pressing the menu/select button before this stupid rockbox finally decides to boot. 

So I messed around with it a while, shuting it down and trying to reboot it.  Finally decided to re-download the software in case I did not select the right one by mistake and reloaded everything.  Uninstalled and deleted rockbox first then reloaded. 

Same problems with rockbox.  I dual booted back to the ipod software and everything works fine.

So any ideas?  As far as I know there are some of you running rockbox, is it often a problem that it stops in the middle of a song like that or it takes 5 minutes to be able to boot it?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2007, 12:40 am by Loftprojection »

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Any of you had problems with Rockbox on Imod?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2007, 07:20 pm »
Hi Loftprojection,

I moved this topic from the RWA forum to the Square Circle because what you describe is not related to just the iMod...this applies to any iPod being loaded with Rockbox.   

In the past, I have come across a few versions of Rockbox that were not stable.  You might want to try loading an older version (you can find them in the archive).  The build that I am using was created on April 2nd.  It seems pretty stable... loaded up just fine, and doesn't seem to lock up. 

I'm sure that there will be future builds (they come out every day) that will be more stable.  Rockbox is still Beta software and always being improved upon. 

Let us know if this helps,

Vinnie

Loftprojection

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2007, 12:36 am »
Thanks Vinnie, I'll try the April 2nd version tomorrow and let you know.  Up to now the half a song I was able to listen to played nicely!  :lol:

Loftprojection

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2007, 03:11 pm »
Now works!   :thumb:

I went with Vinnie's advise this morning.  Reloaded the imod with Rockbox version April 2nd and now everything is fine.  For some reason the April 21st version does not mate well with my imod, go figure!

I'll definitely stick with this version for a while! 

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2007, 03:34 pm »
Now works!   :thumb:

I went with Vinnie's advise this morning.  Reloaded the imod with Rockbox version April 2nd and now everything is fine.  For some reason the April 21st version does not mate well with my imod, go figure!

I'll definitely stick with this version for a while! 

Hi Loftprojection,

Glad it is now working! 

Rockbox is definitely not perfect (it is still beta software) and has its bugs, but if you find a version that is stable... hold onto it!  8)

Enjoy your iMod!

Vinnie

JDUBS

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2007, 04:10 pm »
Guys, there has been some issues with the iPod Photo, Rockbox, and .flac playback.  The build that I recommend is located here:

http://mikeage.net/content/rockbox-custom-builds/

Its been the first and only build I've had on my iMod and its been completely reliable with NO issues whatsoever since I installed in a few months ago.

Btw, I really love my iMod.  I use it for portable duty with a LaRocco PRII portable amp and Shure e5c headphones...a really resolving combination, especially when paired with .flac files.

-Jim

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2007, 04:24 pm »
Hi Jim,

THANKS for sharing this info... I'm going to give it a try!

Glad you are loving your iMod!  8)

Thanks again,

Vinnie

JDUBS

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2007, 04:16 am »
Hi Jim,

THANKS for sharing this info... I'm going to give it a try!

Glad you are loving your iMod!  8)

Thanks again,

Vinnie

You got it Vinnie!  I honestly don't think a better portable .flac solution exists.

If anyone has any issues with Rockbox, feel free to shoot me a pm and I can try to help out.

-Jim

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2007, 05:14 am »
You got it Vinnie!  I honestly don't think a better portable .flac solution exists.
-Jim

I'm echoing Jim's opinion.  Vinnie helped install the Rockbox in the 1st place, so I didn't have to worry about installation issues, and my iMod played flawlessly ever since.  It's really cool to have both portability, superb sound quality, and over 1,500 .flac (still growing) songs in hand at any time.