W10 vs Multi-Core Processors

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
W10 vs Multi-Core Processors
« on: 1 Jan 2021, 12:57 am »
I recently discovered that if the PC has multiple processing cores, the W10 activate only one and disables the others. I activated the 4 cores of my PC in msconfig for a test and the machine seemed a little faster.

My PC default is 1 on the (Number of Processors)
Other options are 2, 3, 4.
Anyone would have experience in this matter?
Any drawback of activate all the 4 cores?
« Last Edit: 1 Jan 2021, 02:59 am by FullRangeMan »

srb

Re: W10 vs Multi-Core Processors
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2021, 02:26 am »
With the "Number of processors" checkbox unchecked (default) in System Configuration > Boot > Advanced options, Windows 10 boots with all processor cores enabled.  The checkbox is used to disable processor cores.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2021, 02:46 am »
OK thanks.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2021, 03:19 am »
I admit it's a bit confusing.  With the box unchecked, what you're seeing is just the first entry in the dropdown list (and greyed out as well).  It would have probably been less confusing if Microsoft constructed the list with actual number of cores first, descending to 1.

Note that this is a only a BOOT option, and even if you checked the box and selected "1", you would reboot with just one processor core, but once windows is fully loaded you would see that all cores are active.

You can verify this in Task Manager > Performance > CPU (right-click on the CPU graph and change graph from Overall utilization to Logical processors).

I think the only way you could disable a processor core for the Windows session would be in BIOS or UEFI.

debjit.g

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2021, 03:44 am »
I run W10 on a 8-core Xeon and all cores are active without any configuration. I also run a Windows Home server running on a 6yrs old 4-core Atom based m/c and that also utilizes all the available cores. All of today's operating system (Windows, Linux, OSX) are smart enough and written to use parallel computes. It would be very inefficient to run these OS with a single core active, unless the OS is written especially for a uni-processor system. There is absolutely no disadvantage to run W10 on a multi-core processor and in fact recommended.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2021, 03:52 am »
I admit it's a bit confusing.  With the box unchecked, what you're seeing is just the first entry in the dropdown list (and greyed out as well).  It would have probably been less confusing if Microsoft constructed the list with actual number of cores first, descending to 1.

Note that this is a only a BOOT option, and even if you checked the box and selected "1", you would reboot with just one processor core, but once windows is fully loaded you would see that all cores are active.

You can verify this in Task Manager > Performance > CPU (right-click on the CPU graph and change graph from Overall utilization to Logical processors).

I think the only way you could disable a processor core for the Windows session would be in BIOS or UEFI.
Thanks again.
I dont think its difficult or confusing, I have no prob to operate this box, since I work in the area since 1974:

Here in my PC W10pro64 build 1904/1 the check box is to open the processors set to selection for possible change. My doubt is another >> (Any drawback of activate all the 4 cores?)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2021, 08:09 am »
Well I have made some days of tests with four processors online and found seems there is a bit of extra speed, but seems some things are strange as Print Screen key that break the mouse  pointer for a few seconds, só I will return tô the default value, as I cant found sufice info on what these options do on the system.