ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

Bigfish

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #1020 on: 14 Mar 2009, 12:08 pm »
Hey Randy:

I am listing to my Transporter right now with the EML Rectifier and Tung Sol Round Plate 6SN7's.  I agree with your comment that I think it will be very difficult to find a better sounding tube combination.  Maybe we now need to start a cord swapping thread! :lol:

Ken

Wayne1

« Reply #1021 on: 14 Mar 2009, 04:52 pm »
There is a possibility that Audio Circle may close down in the next 20 hours.

I would be very sorry to see that happen. For more information on this, please read this thread:http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=65923.0 .

I have FINALLY worked out all the bugs in building the Octal Adapters. I will now offer them for sale through my web site.

The price will be $125.00 per pair plus shipping in the US. It could possibly take up to 3 weeks to build and ship a pair, depending on demand.

Here is the link to my webpage where the adapters may be ordered

I hope AC will remain and we can discuss the sound of the Octal adapters with Bybee Inside in this thread at some point.

Berto

« Reply #1022 on: 14 Mar 2009, 07:58 pm »
British were coming, now they are here!
   Got three pairs of 50s long envelope Brimar 6SN7GTs. Mailman said "you came to the door quick" :P
   Although the seller claims it's impossible one pair seems to be DOA :scratch:
   Seller responded QUICKLY and insured he will resolve this if indeed I'm correct, just a bummer since he does not live around the block.
   I first put them in the Source and they sounded great, not as fast as TS rounds but otherwise as clear and as dynamic off the bat. I will NOT say they are better since the session was short. The differences were minor to be honest but I'm sure I can eventually dissect further. Surely more of flavor choice then a clear cut winner.
   I then decided to put the working quad of Brimars in my audio aero amp and WOW :drool: They blow the grey glass RCA VT-231's out of the water in this position, less tubey sound, just cleaner, more dynamic, more resolving, NO COMPARISON. RCA's are now BANISHED from my amp. Seller was right, Brimars are AWESOME!
   Then I threw  the RCAs in the MWTP. Wow, now suddenly I'm in love with them ,and now since my amp seems to have the proper tubes, I will concur w/Ted that the RCA's are now 90% of the TS round plates.  And I'm sure like most of us I could throw in any TOP NOTCH 6SN7s and hear differences (esp over time) but would prob thoroughly enjoy all of them as well.
   When I do replace the DOA pair I can say how they sound in the source eventually but doubt it be as good as the TS or RCA's b/c of past experience and what I read that mixing the 6SN7s give the best results. TBD still but so far I agree.
    If you can find them you will NOT go wrong with these blk coated 50s Brimars, there more along the same cost as RCA's, and most definitely sound better IMO, this presents themselves as a TREMENDOUS value!  HIGHLY RECCOMEND!!
   This thread has really helped my system, and now I'm excited to just ENJOY the music!

UPDATE: I'm the one that is NUTS! All three pairs work PERFECT, me the idiot jumped to conclusions but it turns out I did not have the tube with no spigot(guide pin) installed right, I got the quad in the amp and the pair in MWTP and it boy does it sound GLORIOUS, I will most def. post again in reference to how I like them compared to TS rounds and RCA's, just emailed the 30yr valve vet to tell him this rookie owes you an apology
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2009, 11:51 pm by Berto »

rydenfan

« Reply #1023 on: 14 Mar 2009, 11:07 pm »
I know I may be bucking the current trend here, but I threw my High Wycombe GZ37 back in today and I may prefer it over the EML. I feel like it has a bit more sophisticated and softer top end which works a bit better in my system. I reserve the right to change my mind  :wink:

Philistine

« Reply #1024 on: 15 Mar 2009, 12:28 am »
I know I may be bucking the current trend here, but I threw my High Wycombe GZ37 back in today and I may prefer it over the EML. I feel like it has a bit more sophisticated and softer top end which works a bit better in my system. I reserve the right to change my mind  :wink:

Hey David, forget the tube rolling - you have a power conditioner review to write. :thumb:

rydenfan

« Reply #1025 on: 15 Mar 2009, 12:55 am »

Hey David, forget the tube rolling - you have a power conditioner review to write. :thumb:

I need to make sure AC is going to still exist before I take the time  :o

funkmonkey

« Reply #1026 on: 15 Mar 2009, 02:15 am »
David, I do not have an EML to compare to, but the High Wycomb CV378 is a very nice tube.  I switch it out every once in a while but it always goes back in place.

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1027 on: 15 Mar 2009, 08:12 pm »
Has anyone tried the ElectroHarmonix 6h30pi tube (gold pin) in either the TP or their LS36.5?  I'd appreciate impressions compared to the Sovtek standard and the DR supertube in those two applications.  Dan pointed out that the EH is produced by Sovtek, but it was my understanding that it is produced in a different factory than their standard tubes, and to different standards.  Anyone using them?

Does anyone have any suggestions of where to get the best price on DR's currently?

Thanks in advance for any input.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2009, 05:47 pm by Marco Prozzo »

rpf

« Reply #1028 on: 17 Mar 2009, 12:27 am »
I've tried the EH 6H30pi gold pins in the 36.5. They are significantly better than the Sovteks, maybe halfway to the DRs. They are more forward than the latter but lack the harshness and aggressive forwardness of the former. My only concern about them stems from two posts on the Blue Circle website regarding problems with the gold on the pins of EH 6922s flaking off and causing damage to the amps they were used in. Don't know how prevalent or current that problem is: should probably post on a few forums to ask for others' experiences. In the meantime, I've removed them and gone back to the DRs.

I'm part of a group buy of supposed DRs from Russia that Mike ("ratso") organized here on AC. They just arrived in Chicago, the participants should be getting them over the next few days, and our impressions will be posted here. They were $75./pair, so, if they're real, it'll be a great source.

Rob

Bigfish

« Reply #1029 on: 17 Mar 2009, 12:53 am »
I've tried the EH 6H30pi gold pins in the 36.5. They are significantly better than the Sovteks, maybe halfway to the DRs. They are more forward than the latter but lack the harshness and aggressive forwardness of the former. My only concern about them stems from two posts on the Blue Circle website regarding problems with the gold on the pins of EH 6922s flaking off and causing damage to the amps they were used in. Don't know how prevalent or current that problem is: should probably post on a few forums to ask for others' experiences. In the meantime, I've removed them and gone back to the DRs.

I'm part of a group buy of supposed DRs from Russia that Mike ("ratso") organized here on AC. They just arrived in Chicago, the participants should be getting them over the next few days, and our impressions will be posted here. They were $75./pair, so, if they're real, it'll be a great source.

Rob

Hi Rob:

I am curious to know if you have the Platinum level of mods in your Transporter? 

Thanks,

Ken

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1030 on: 17 Mar 2009, 12:56 am »

Many thanks, Rob, for the input and the caution.  I also found this thread on Agon making comparisons of the EH to both Sovtek and DR's

Rob

I'd be all over that if it pans out to be the real deal. :thumb:  The best price I've found is around $200/pair from Europe :|.  Do keep us posted and feel free to ping me if you have any idea when and if another group buy might be possible.  

On another note, and as an addendum to my thoughts thus far on this thread; I've been utterly astounded at the difference rolling the rectifier can make in the sound of the TP.  I'm used to differences further from the source, which I've found are more subtle (changing the rectifier in an amp for instance).  I went from the stock NOS RCA 5u4G that came with my TP mod, over to a 1950's TungSol 5u4G.  Sadly I had no time to listen at the time and it sat there for a week occasionally being the DAC for playing DVD movies...but no music.  Then a week later I was astounded when I cued up a cut of music.  All of a sudden the bass was resounding and the low mids more full and clear.  The music seemed to have more body and heft.  It was as if someone had flipped a switch and I was at first very confused.  Then I noticed the big bottle that was sticking out of the TP and realized what had happened.  I had to test my theory so I put back the RCA.  Gone was the bass and the body.  All of a sudden Marilyn Monroe had turned into Olive Oyl.  So now I'm hooked.  Not ready for an EML, but I've ordered a GZ37 (Mullard RAF 1960's tall bottle) to follow up, given comments here on that rectifier.  I'd assume the coke bottle variant of the GZ would not fit into the hole in the TP, would it?  And what is the High Wycombe that keeps coming up here?  I assume that is the location of a plant that made them at some point like Blackburn is for 5AR4's?  I've not seen listings for that particular tube, but assume from comments here it is significantly more expensive than the $70 I paid for the 60's tall boy?

Again, thanks for all the contributions and very useful feedback here.

Bigfish

« Reply #1031 on: 17 Mar 2009, 01:07 am »
Not ready for an EML, but I've ordered a GZ37 (Mullard RAF 1960's tall bottle) to follow up, given comments here on that rectifier.  I'd assume the coke bottle variant of the GZ would not fit into the hole in the TP, would it?  And what is the High Wycombe that keeps coming up here?  I assume that is the location of a plant that made them at some point like Blackburn is for 5AR4's?  I've not seen listings for that particular tube, but assume from comments here it is significantly more expensive than the $70 I paid for the 60's tall boy?

Check this site for information on the High Wycombe GZ37:  http://www.mullardtubes.com/Mullard-GZ-37_Fat-Glass_GZ37/?ID=0&ProductID=155

Ken

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1032 on: 17 Mar 2009, 01:28 am »

Check this site for information on the High Wycombe GZ37:  http://www.mullardtubes.com/Mullard-GZ-37_Fat-Glass_GZ37/?ID=0&ProductID=155

Ken

Thanks, Ken.  Ah, well that's what I knew as a "Coke Bottle" - I'd never heard it called "High Wycombe" before.  So can that tube clear the hole in the TP case?  I'd think it would be too large.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1033 on: 17 Mar 2009, 01:31 am »
[
I'd be all over that if it pans out to be the real deal. :thumb:  The best price I've found is around $200/pair from Europe :|.  

Marco,
Partsconnexion, where many of us got our DR's, has them everyday for $165 matched pair, and sometimes runs a 20% sale.  Don't pay more, certainly,. but the group buy is a real find,  assuming they are the real deal..

The High Wycombe has been talked about numerous times on this thread.  David uses it as his go-to rectiifier, and mentioned it again just two days ago (a few posts back on this page) as being better than his EML.  Yes, it fits the TP fine (dwarfed by the EML).   There are many coke bottles, but only one High Wycombe.

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1034 on: 17 Mar 2009, 01:47 am »

Marco,
Partsconnexion, where many of us got our DR's, has them everyday for $165 matched pair, and sometimes runs a 20% sale.  Don't pay more, certainly,. but the group buy is a real find,  assuming they are the real deal..

Thanks, Ted.  I checked there and all I could find was 6N30-DR's for that price.  I assume this is not the same tube, is it? 

The High Wycombe has been talked about numerous times on this thread.  David uses it as his go-to rectiifier, and mentioned it again just two days ago (a few posts back on this page) as being better than his EML.  Yes, it fits the TP fine (dwarfed by the EML).   There are many coke bottles, but only one High Wycombe.

Yes, I've noticed.  Thanks for that clarification.  So how do you tell a High Wycombe from your standard fat-bottle GZ37?  Are there special markings to look for, or is it always distinguished by the seller?  What years was this produced?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1035 on: 17 Mar 2009, 01:57 am »
Same tube.  He's using the Reflektor wording on the tube (Russian alpha).

The High Wycombe is named for the area in England where it was mfg'd during 1950-55.  It has a CV378 nomenclature printed on it (not unique though), and is considered the best GZ37 out there.

Berto

« Reply #1036 on: 17 Mar 2009, 02:06 am »
   That High Wycombe sounds nice.  :drool:
    I'm listening to EML with 50s blk coated Brimars right now and been switching them with TS rounds tonite.
   If I would too analyze the music only I would say the TS sound better, if I was to say which one got me more musicaly involved, so far I would def give the nod to the one fourth the price and less aggressive Brimars :D
   Trying to get my hands on some Orange label Brimars now which supposedly sound AWESOME as well.  So far I consider them GIANT killers and might just sell the TS rounds and buy a High Wycombe for a lil rollin against the EML.  
   Maybe I can try a High Wycombe if someone wants to try some TS rounds.

Philistine

« Reply #1037 on: 17 Mar 2009, 02:08 am »
Tube World has the High Wycombe for $250:

https://www.tubeworld.com/topten.htm

If anyone is interested Wycombe is pronounced Wickome.

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1038 on: 17 Mar 2009, 02:25 am »
Same tube.  He's using the Reflektor wording on the tube (Russian alpha).

Got it!  Thanks.

The High Wycombe is named for the area in England where it was mfg'd during 1950-55.  It has a CV378 nomenclature printed on it (not unique though), and is considered the best GZ37 out there.

I'm still not clear on specifically what to look for. Given that there are other fat-bottle GZ37 with a CV378 nomenclature, what should one look for on the tube itself that will distinguish a High Wycombe from any other fat-bottle GZ37?  Is there a specific date code to look for perhaps?

rpf

« Reply #1039 on: 17 Mar 2009, 02:48 am »
The standard Mullard GZ37 and the High Wycombe are both "coke bottle" tubes but the latter are significantly fatter; as can be seen on the above quoted website (http://www.mullardtubes.com/Mullard-GZ-37_Fat-Glass_GZ37/?ID=0&ProductID=155) and also - perhaps more clearly - on this site: www.tubeworld.com (go to rectifiers, then GZ37/CV378). They do show up on Ebay and there are two or three available there now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/53KU-GZ37-COSSOR-VALVE-TUBE-BULBOUS-ENVELOPE_W0QQitemZ200282334223QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL?hash=item200282334223&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

http://cgi.ebay.com/1Pcs-NOS-CV378-GZ37-5u4g-GZ34-Big-Bottle_W0QQitemZ300300538966QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item300300538966&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Some of the pieces are labelled "Haltron" or "Cossor" while some have no brand name on them - none are labelled "High Wycombe" as this was the place of manufacture, as Ted stated.

It is definitely better than the standard GZ37 (which is a nice tube though).