A few questions about new 9B-SST.............

_andy_

« on: 9 Oct 2005, 11:44 pm »
Hi, just received this amp on Friday w/ my new preamp and have it wired in my system, i've a few general questions.......

i) is there a  general rule of thumb to the order in which one should power things up in the system? Should it be for example: dvd >> preamp >> amp when i power things on and then the reverse on shutdown? ...or the mirror image of that?

ia) further to above, i've been powering amp down manually for now, but always very last......i've noticed a very faint click/pop on power down (preamp already shutdown).....
normal?.....i've not noticed any power-up sounds.

ii) by the way, i've chosen to hook everything into a surge/conditoner that has programable  remote trigger support of it's outlets........but i can remote trigger directly off my preamp too.... am i better off triggering 9Bsst directly off preamp or having preamp trigger the surge outlet to power amp off that way?...kind of a convoluted question..

iii) my pre will ouput 15v at full ouput...is it accepttable to use 4v range on amp w/ balanced inputs?

....thx for any advice and suggestions.

Regards,

Andy.

ScottMayo

Re: A few questions about new 9B-SST.............
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2005, 12:42 am »
Quote from: _andy_

i) is there a general rule of thumb to the order in which one should power things up in the system? Should it be for example: dvd >> preamp >> amp when i power things on and then the reverse on shutdown? ...or the mirror image of that?

As long as no sound is being played, it doesn't matter. If sound is still being played, I'd kill the source first. For power on, turning the amp on before the source gives it a second to get charged up, but you're not going to cause harm with any order.

Some older preamps (not Bryston's) tended to go into oscillation briefly when powered off. If you have one of those, amp off first and on last is a good rule of thumb.

Quote from: _andy_

ii) by the way, i've chosen to hook everything into a surge/conditoner that has programable remote trigger support of it's outlets........but i can remote trigger directly off my preamp too.... am i better off triggering 9Bsst directly off preamp or having preamp trigger the surge outlet to power amp off that way?...kind of a convoluted question..

It probably doesn't matter, but I'd have the preamp directly turn the amp on and off via the trigger input, since they are designed to work together. The amp probably doesn't need power conditioning, by the way, but it probably can't hurt, either.

Faint pops are power on/off are harmless. Anything plainly audiable from 10' away is probably not right.

_andy_

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2005, 12:30 am »
....thx Scott...i set the preamp up to trigger the the amp on/off 3 sec after preamp powers on/off...i had to trigger the outlet on my surge-suppressor since my sub-amp has no trigger
input and i wanted to trigger my 9B and sub amp.

The power-off 'pop'-sound is almost inaudible.....quieter than 9B relay click when it powers off.....you have to 'try' to hear it, so i'm assuming it's a non-issue.

nicolasb

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2005, 05:47 pm »
Personally I like to turn off the power amp first, then the source: even if the amp itself does pop or click, there's nothing you can do about it short of disconnecting the speakers; but if the source or pre-amp pops/clicks, then the speakers will get the full impact of it if the power amp is still switched on. Once the power amp is turned off, the speakers are protected.