Tyson's NX-Ottica Tower Review

WarmColors

Re: Tyson's NX-Ottica Tower Review
« Reply #20 on: 24 Feb 2020, 05:54 am »
Play a recording of dogs barking at loud volumes!  Haha, just kidding.

I dunno, maybe you could get something made similar to what the old Vandersteen speakers uses, where they had a frame with acoustic fabric all the way around, something like this:

Hahaha, then i would be sleeping with the dogs if the wife found out i did that!

That's exactly what i was thinking building a frame of some sort to be able to place acoustic fabric but i don't want to ruin the MTM sound waves too much coming from the back of the speakers. (I am indecisive still between the monitors only MTM no woofers) I would just need to place fabric on top, on the back and on the side where the "wave" is.
I should be okay with adding the one frame so it can support all three acoustic fabrics, it shouldn't change the sound signature too much correct?

DeeJayBump

« Reply #21 on: 24 Feb 2020, 02:08 pm »
I would lean to some grill/covering that is removable, so it's off when listening, and on when not playing the speakers.

heywaj10

« Reply #22 on: 24 Feb 2020, 02:13 pm »
It'll do exceptionally well.  For complex music like that, what you need is a speaker that does 3 things.

First, create a large soundstage for the music to be able to breath in.  Otherwise it all sort of collapses into a mushy wall of undifferentiated sound.  That's what most speakers do.  But not the NX-Ottica.

Second, have exceptional timing.  There's a few things that contribute to that, but having the tweeter set back so that it aligns with the woofers' voice coils gives you a big win there.

Third, have exceptional detail that is not fatiguing.  This is probably the hardest to get right.  You need a midrange driver that is exceptionally fast and has a super clean rise and settle time.  And you must have a tweeter that is highly transparent but not bright.  The NX-Ottica crushes it in both these areas.  The only midrange I've heard that comes close to the detail level of the NX-Ottica is the Accuton ceramic mids - the Accutons are highly detailed but they are also quite cold and analytical sounding IME.  For the tweeter, some of the new beryllium tweeters get close but none of them are OB so you get a lot of detail but it sounds closed off in comparison.  And those tweeters are a LOT more expensive.

Well, I guess I can't ask for a better response and insight than that! In my experience so far, the "best" I've heard that wasn't in the stratosphere price-wise was the Vandersteen Treo. While I wasn't 100% sold on the tweeter, everything else about that speaker was largely what you described above. It allowed the music to breathe within the soundstage, and had super clean, tight, articulate bass (even if the quantity wasn't the greatest). Seeing as how the NX-Otica is ~1/3rd the price, this may be the winner I've been looking for.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #23 on: 24 Feb 2020, 04:01 pm »
Well, I guess I can't ask for a better response and insight than that! In my experience so far, the "best" I've heard that wasn't in the stratosphere price-wise was the Vandersteen Treo. While I wasn't 100% sold on the tweeter, everything else about that speaker was largely what you described above. It allowed the music to breathe within the soundstage, and had super clean, tight, articulate bass (even if the quantity wasn't the greatest). Seeing as how the NX-Otica is ~1/3rd the price, this may be the winner I've been looking for.

Yeah man, I listen to large orchestral music mostly and some electronica (both of which can be very complex) and I am spoiled with the world-class speed of the Neo10 drivers in my Super 7 speakers at home.  When I went to Danny's one of my big fears is that the midrange driver in the NX-Ottica just wouldn't be able to keep up with what my Super 7s can do.  But I was wrong.  That OB midrange driver he uses is blazing fast and insanely detailed.  But it's also extremely well controlled and self-damped.  Trust me, that is freaking hard to get right and is very, very rare.

And of course the other smart thing he does is load that Neo3 in a deep waveguide.  IME, the Neo3 in a deep waveguide AND in OB config is pretty much the best tweeter out there.  For dome tweeters, a couple of the beryllium tweeters come close (but they sound closed off because they are not OB).  Of the other ribbon tweeters (like RAAL) have similar detail and delicacy but just aren't robust and dynamic sounding like the Neo3 in this config.  The only tweeter I've heard that's on par with it is the ESS Heil AMT that is massive and goes down to 800hz.  But it's so long you run into issues of poor off axis (vertical) dispersion.  And those are $340 a pair.  So the deep waveguided OB Neo3 is somewhat miraculous for the price, IME. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #24 on: 25 Feb 2020, 05:06 am »
I had the  NX-Otica's for a number of years ( first  pair built after we sent the initial prototype to Danny) and have now  owned the Super 7's  for  approx  a year.  One is not better  than the other, they are  actualy quite similar  in sound assuming you  add subs to your  NX-Otica's.   The mid-range is different,  it is slightly  faster and slightly  more   detailed with the Neo 10  of the S7's but,  they  give up some  warmth/musicality to the  NQ mids of the  NX-Otica's.  Not  as much  reach needed by the subs  either as the  NX-Otica's  will  reach down deeper  before  bringing inthe subs.

Agree with Tyson too,  the  Neo3 in an OB config behind the deep  waveguideis  hard to beat .  Had  2 models with closed back  Neo3's previously and really  liked them, but, opening up the rear side   after being physically aligned withthe voice coils of the woofers   is a big step up

Love my Super 7's   but  miss my Otica's at times too

jay

Sonicjoy

« Reply #25 on: 25 Feb 2020, 02:31 pm »
Tyson and Cap. Interesting comparison. Thanks for that. I'm trying to get up to speed on all things GR and these discussions are very helpful.