another 'cables do matter' post

drphoto

« on: 9 Dec 2003, 03:22 am »
I'm not going to say that changing cables transformed my system from one that sucked to one that is great.

What I will say, is changing cables (and in my experience....speaker wire matter at least as much as IC's) took me from something I could barely tolorate to something I will officially call...."doesn't suck".

I'm not gonnna name names here.....'cause I'm sure it's very system dependent. Just try different stuff. You may be supprised at what your own humble rig may have to offer.

ABEX

« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2003, 05:43 am »
Number one thing I recommend people to do is experimemt to see weather there are differences instead of going by what others say.

That is the golden rule I live by in audio.

EXPERIMENT!!

Fathom7

« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2003, 04:39 pm »
Number one thing I recommend people to do is experimemt to see weather there are differences instead of going by what others say.
:D

Amen to that ABEX.  The matter of cables is IMHO very system  :o dependent.  What sounds wonderful in one place may not in another. :cry:   I've gone through several digital cables for example and currently have what I think is a great cable in that spot. :wink:   Next up are the IC's where I've tried a host of things and finally settled on what works.  :bounce:  The concept of "synergy" is one that really applies to audio.  Each piece you have contributes something (since not many systems are absolutely neutral) and those additions (or subtractions) are cumulative.  Once you decide on the basics of your system -- then IC's become almost like tweaks in a sense.  They contribute or detract dependent on what the pieces at either end are doing. :?:

There are few cables and wires that are "knowns" as far as solid recommendations.  In my case, the Known is the speaker wire -- I'm running JM Reynaud Trentes -- these guys are beautiful but most particularly so with JMR wire into them.  It's really not a luxury item for these.  As for the other IC's -- I've got a host installed and they are not the same make.  Some are used because they work (Nordost Black Knights from my old ReVox A77 to the amp since they fit the old output jacks on the back of the tape deck) :?  another cable from the CD player to the intermediate (jitter box) and still other cables from the DAC to the AMP and still a different cable between the jitter box and the DAC.  :o  They are chosen because they work not because they were reported to work.

One suggestion to make is:  Settle on the main components of your system and try to understand it's characteristics first.  Then, consider what you read as suggestive of which direction to head for IC's and speaker wire/cable.  Once you've done this, take it one segment at a time. :roll:   Changing too many items simultaneously only adds to the confusion of auditioning or determining.  :banghead:  This is a fault I have.  Sometimes an expensive one.  BTW -- anyone want to buy some IC's?  I've got a couple of extras.  PCs too.

:rotflmao:  :rotflmao: