Can Odyssey Amps lose power under heavy load conditions?

Phil A

Re: Odyssey Amps lose power
« Reply #40 on: 23 Dec 2013, 10:21 pm »
Happy Holidays to all as well

hukkfinn

« Reply #41 on: 27 Dec 2013, 12:49 pm »
I am not yet sold on any peticular amp, but am moving close to the Kismets in Strato cases, as I really dont need fancy cases to make good sound...

I just got that done.   My "new monoblocks" just arrived Monday... now waiting for the break-in to finish.

Arcticdeth

« Reply #42 on: 27 Dec 2013, 06:23 pm »
I just got that done.   My "new monoblocks" just arrived Monday... now waiting for the break-in to finish.

PICTURES....OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN......... :D

where are you located ????  are you in the midwest..??  I can bring beer and food, should you feel like auditioning them..
if not, please post some updates in thr coming weeks / months.

hukkfinn

« Reply #43 on: 29 Dec 2013, 03:56 am »
PICTURES....OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN......... :D
  where are you located ????  are you in the midwest..??  I can bring beer and food, should you feel like auditioning them..
if not, please post some updates in thr coming weeks / months.

I'm in Delaware.
You are welcome to come hear them!   So far they have been playing for a few days straight, turned off for a couple hours each day to bring the caps back down of course.
I'm not hearing any change ... yet.
I've written Klaus an email asking what kinds of changes I should expect.   I assume there will be big changes, and that break-in will be 200 or so hours... but maybe not??

Arcticdeth

« Reply #44 on: 29 Dec 2013, 12:58 pm »
I'm in Delaware.
You are welcome to come hear them!   So far they have been playing for a few days straight, turned off for a couple hours each day to bring the caps back down of course.
I'm not hearing any change ... yet.
I've written Klaus an email asking what kinds of changes I should expect.   I assume there will be big changes, and that break-in will be 200 or so hours... but maybe not??

please keep us updated,...as kismet in strato cases is what I woulf get ( with every upgrae available and then some...)
Delaware, that's a long drive to hear music,......... looking forward to your updates in a couple months....................

Arcticdeth

« Reply #45 on: 30 Dec 2013, 10:00 pm »
i think I will try these kismet in stratos cases mono's.  I have heard so much good about them. With very few negs.
I am a budget audiophile, I THINK im an audiophile, as i listen to a lot of music, and love a great sounding stereo.
I dont have the worlds best speakers, but I DO have a good ear for what comes out of them.

I think I will be happy with these. I may require a month or 2 to get the funds for them but I hope in the long run I will be happy. I can never pop for Mcintosh, or Krell , price jacked up to have a name badge on it. All these reviewers can not be wrong with these amplifiers. Ans as I am "slowing" doen in my LOUOD all the time mode, I think these will fit right in with my BIC dv-64 and 84 towers. such a smooth tweeter in these, and Gary Moore is right in front of me with the....cough...cough....Emotiva 500 Watt mono's running them now. They do sound sweet . I am hoping for a more detailed, rounded high end, as well, as a less in your face sound. The EMo's are a great amp for kicking your face in, no doubt about that. I am older now and looking for a smoother, relaxed amplifier, I think I have found it with these. Ill be on here for a while, so I will post again when  they are in my possession. til then, cheers to everyone in here for your input and knowledge !

R

B70valkyrie

« Reply #46 on: 15 Jan 2014, 04:50 pm »
Have a pair of Khartago "Monos" with some "upgrades" (more capacitance as I recall).  Have run them 24/7 for the last 5 years - no problems. 

As for their "power" - my speakers are AR-9s with the impedance protection circuit in the bass crossover section REMOVED.  So those speakers go down to about 1.7 ohms (two 12" in parallel) in the lower bass (original design had a cap/coil to keep the impedance higher in that part of the spectrum).

The "Klaus" amps handle this low impedance load, at high volumes with absolute ease (playing track 1 of "Dark Knight").  Surprised me as I felt that the amps would give up in with such an extreme load - but no, the amps just sail through these demanding passages.  Their ability to be stable and source current in the face of such an extreme load really surprised me.

I do sense some strain from the amps when I am running at high volumes - but that is more in the mids and lower mids - it may NOT be the amps but I think it is.  OR it might be my room overloading.  (or my ears ;-)).

I keep wanting to "upgrade" but the Khartago's are just damn fine amplifiers with incredible current reserves - and they sound so good - accurate, musical, extended, dynamic. Just great amps.

Arcticdeth

« Reply #47 on: 22 Jun 2015, 12:03 pm »
New speakers purchased.  Energy rc-70's.
Onkyo p-308 pre
B&k pro10 mc pre

Parasound p-5 in que for purchase

This is what is currently being used.

Other amps/ pre's in basement storage.

Arcticdeth

« Reply #48 on: 22 Jun 2015, 12:09 pm »
The energy rc-70's just started opening up this past weekend. With a constant high volume playing many tunes. They are starting to sound awesome.

I am sure the kismets will not even strain driving these. Mid 90's spl 1 w/1m
Rated for 250 wpc. Probably peak not cont.  but havent read much on them. They are a very good speaker. Not bright, as past speaker. Need to get used to that.

Thoughts.......

Rocket

« Reply #49 on: 22 Jun 2015, 02:44 pm »
Hi,

I'm a bit confused.  I've read the whole thread did you ever buy a pair of kismets from Klaus?

Cheers Rod

Arcticdeth

« Reply #50 on: 22 Jun 2015, 03:00 pm »
Hi,

I'm a bit confused.  I've read the whole thread did you ever buy a pair of kismets from Klaus?

Cheers Rod

No i have not.  I am still in saving every penny mode.
Still need more time.  5k is not chump change for us on our measly income. Im about 2k out from having 5k.

But by then, who knows i may save another 2k and get the carver crimson 350's.   That is my only other option for amps. The emotiva xpa-1 1st gen are good. But even with the 500w, they have some fatigue after hours. And it is definitely NOT the energy-rc-70's, as paired with my sunfie sig in bi amp config, is a magical sound.  But when hooked to emotivas, something is missing from the sound.

geowak

« Reply #51 on: 22 Jun 2015, 05:43 pm »
I have had both Odyssey and Parasound. Since you are getting a Parasound preamp, I would get a pair of JC 1's. BTW system synergy is important...

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #52 on: 22 Jun 2015, 05:55 pm »

No i have not.  I am still in saving every penny mode.
Still need more time.  5k is not chump change for us on our measly income. Im about 2k out from having 5k.

But by then, who knows i may save another 2k and get the carver crimson 350's.   That is my only other option for amps. The emotiva xpa-1 1st gen are good. But even with the 500w, they have some fatigue after hours. And it is definitely NOT the energy-rc-70's, as paired with my sunfie sig in bi amp config, is a magical sound.  But when hooked to emotivas, something is missing from the sound.

Since this thread is not specifcally about Odyssey products I suggest you move this discussion someplace else.
Afterall, this is Klaus' site and I wonder if he is being well served by a subject line "Odyssey amps lose power".

KP

Arcticdeth

Re: Can Odyssey Amps lose power under heavy load conditions?
« Reply #53 on: 22 Jun 2015, 09:24 pm »
there, now its a question, not a statement.

i haven't heard of any power loss under normal conditions. 

but you people w ith Apogees, martin logans, Magnepans, etc etc, should probably answer in, as your speakers can top crazy low in impedance dips.

erniek

« Reply #54 on: 22 Jun 2015, 09:40 pm »
Reading this thread with interest and I feel the need to add something regarding dealing with Klaus and his company.  As one that also has a budget to which I can apply for these types of purchases I have been very satisfied with the bill of sale that Klaus is giving me. I took time to research Odyssey before buying and when I made the decision to buy my amp I have not been disappointed with how this company has performed. Klaus has been receptive to my input, answers my questions and leads me into what I feel are good sound purchasing considerations. I make the decision to buy his product and how I use it is not his problem or even concern. He tells us what he sells, what we can do with it, and how we can go further with it and I do not feel thrown off in any way. What he stated earlier in this thread about dealing with a problem someone had with one of his amps is what a good company will do to help a customer as best as they can, I too had a small problem with one of my purchases and he took care of it. Nothing special he just took care of it. To me that is what brings me back and even though I would like other pieces of hardware that other companies make it does make it more difficult to move away from was is working for you. For me I will continue to do business with companies like this whenever I can.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #55 on: 22 Jun 2015, 10:58 pm »
Very nice erniek! Thanks for sharing that.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #56 on: 22 Jun 2015, 11:10 pm »
Hear, hear, Eniek. I echo those sentiments whole-heartedly. My Kismet/Khartagos continue to serve in grand style.

Cheers,
KP