Anyone tried REDGUM gear with Magnepan 3.6's?

Pneumonic

Anyone tried REDGUM gear with Magnepan 3.6's?
« on: 13 Nov 2006, 07:42 pm »
Hiya, all.

I have an opportunity to buy a pair of Magnepan 3.6's which I would drive with a REDGUM RGi120 integrated amp.

Prior to making the 4+ hour drive out to listen to these I am curious if anyone has heard these paired together and if so what your thoughts are. Postive or negative.

I know that REDGUM gear is a nice synergistic match with Ambience ribbon speakers and am wondering if they would pair nicely with Maggie ribbons as well.

Thanks.

andyr

Re: Anyone tried REDGUM gear with Magnepan 3.6's?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2007, 07:51 am »
Hiya, all.

I have an opportunity to buy a pair of Magnepan 3.6's which I would drive with a REDGUM RGi120 integrated amp.

Prior to making the 4+ hour drive out to listen to these I am curious if anyone has heard these paired together and if so what your thoughts are. Postive or negative.

I know that REDGUM gear is a nice synergistic match with Ambience ribbon speakers and am wondering if they would pair nicely with Maggie ribbons as well.

Thanks.
Hi pneumonic,

Sorry, I've only just found the Aussie pie ... did you end up buying the 3.6s?  Do ya mind telling me what they were going for ... I've had IIIas for about 15 years and one of these days would like to get hold of some 3.6s!!??   :D

BTW1, Ambience ribbons are almost-full-range-ribbons coupled with a cone woofer; 3.6s (and my IIIas) are planar magnetic woofer and mid panels, coupled with a true-ribbon tweeter.

BTW2, you didn't specify how much power the REDGUM RGi120 integrated amp has.  If it's 120wpc (into 8 ohms) then I don't think this would be nearly enough unless the Redgum has a vastly over-specced PS which is capable of huge current output.

250wpc into 8 ohms (although Maggies are typically 4 ohms) and you're starting to get near it.  Actively biamping with 2 x 250wpc and you're in sonic Nirvana!!   :D

Regards,

Andy

Pneumonic

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2007, 07:46 pm »
Sorry, I've only just found the Aussie pie ... did you end up buying the 3.6s?  Do ya mind telling me what they were going for ... I've had IIIas for about 15 years and one of these days would like to get hold of some 3.6s!!??   :D

BTW1, Ambience ribbons are almost-full-range-ribbons coupled with a cone woofer; 3.6s (and my IIIas) are planar magnetic woofer and mid panels, coupled with a true-ribbon tweeter.

BTW2, you didn't specify how much power the REDGUM RGi120 integrated amp has.  If it's 120wpc (into 8 ohms) then I don't think this would be nearly enough unless the Redgum has a vastly over-specced PS which is capable of huge current output.

250wpc into 8 ohms (although Maggies are typically 4 ohms) and you're starting to get near it.  Actively biamping with 2 x 250wpc and you're in sonic Nirvana!!   :D

Regards,

Andy

Hi, Andy.

Thanks for responding.

No the deal for the 3.6's fell thru. My emails ended up going unanswered.  As for pricing.  I was trading my ML Sequel II's and adding $2250 cash.  Canadian funds.

As it turns out it's probably a good thing I didn't make the deal for I was informed that my 120 w REDGUM, even though it has a very flexible power supply that swings impressive transient RMS values, probably wouldn't have had enough sustained juice to power the Maggie's adequately in my room. Just as you intimated.

The Ambience speakers that I am looking for are the super slim 1800's which matches a SEAS driver to the ribbon. It's quite efficient (89dB) and easy to drive. Unfortunately ther are no Ambience dealers in my area, nor in my Country apparently, which complicates things immensely   :duh:

RooX

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2007, 10:24 pm »
which country are you in?

jules

« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2007, 11:01 pm »
Pneumonic's in Canada Roo  :)

jules

Pneumonic

« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2007, 03:07 am »
 Yepper I'm a Crazy Canuck.  It's not the first time us Canucks don't have access to certain audio products.  :scratch:  :banghead:

jules

« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2007, 06:10 am »
I think we can empathize with that here  :D

jules