Issues with SQ on BDP-3 - SOLVED!!

galyons

Issues with SQ on BDP-3 - SOLVED!!
« on: 17 Oct 2022, 01:41 am »
I just purchased a BDP-3 from a local audio enthusiast.  Sadly, I did not get to listen to it when I picked it up.  Today I got the Bryston installed and running.  I updated to the current firmware. I am having issues though. It plays music, but it is highly distorted. The music seems to be stuttering. Doesn't matter whether it is streamed through Quobuz or from the local disk. 

The Manic Moose interface is really challenging, so perhaps I have misconfigured something? I am running the BDP-1 to the DAC via AES/EBU.  I put my Auralic Aries back into the system just to make sure it was not a DAC issue, (ANK DAC4.1).  The DAC played fine.

I have a file of the sound, cannot figure out if I can attach it to a post.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Geary
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2022, 05:53 pm by galyons »

galyons

Re: Issues with SQ on BPD-3
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2022, 02:49 am »
I should add that there is a fine crackling noise. The noise is somewhat like the sound of a well worn vinyl record

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2022, 03:23 am »
HI - email Adam on this - atanner@bryston.com

james

galyons

« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2022, 03:45 am »
HI - email Adam on this - atanner@bryston.com

james

Thank you, James! Done!  I am loving the build quality of the processor and can tell that there is great music hidden in the mix! 

Cheers,
Geary

galyons

Re: Issues with SQ on BPD-3 - SOLVED!!
« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2022, 04:38 am »
I may have it sorted. It appears that the BPD-3 does not like my AES/EBU cable, a double run of Canare DA202.  The Auralic Aries loved it. It is my only AES/EBU cable so, time to improvise. I do not have a BNC/RCA cable, so I used a spare XLR/RCA cable from my home theater kit.  Not ideal to go from 110 ohm to 75 ohm, but at least there is no distortion. Who'da thought!! Damn nice music now!   Adam is off the hook for now!!

Again, my heartfelt thanks to James for a late Sunday evening reply!!  Pretty impressive!!

Cheers,
Geary

galyons

Re: Issues with SQ on BDP-3 - SOLVED!!
« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2022, 10:45 pm »
Well this was not quite solved. With Adam's help we determined that the audio output board had a fault in the AES/EBU circuit.  Adam ordered a new board, it arrived shortly after, and NOW... All is good! I was never really "down" as the BNC output circuit performed as designed.

My thanks to Adams for helping resolve the issue!!  Another testament to the user friendly design Bryston utilized to separate pc boards for each critical block function. A far superior, design but more costly, than the typical consumer electronics practise of one catch-all motherboard.

Cheers,
Geary