Sapphire M3's - Gallium Nitride Amps

TapestryUntied

Re: Sapphire M3's - Gallium Nitride Amps
« Reply #60 on: 15 Sep 2022, 04:29 pm »
catluck,
Can't wait to hear your impressions between the two amps. I'm debating trying one or the other when my M3s are ready. I thought I'd be driving to SLC to pick them up next weekend but it turns out the woofers were delayed coming in from Spain and are in customs now

RonN5

« Reply #61 on: 15 Sep 2022, 05:43 pm »
catluck,

I will also be interested to hear your impressions.  Leo (Orchard Audio) has one of his Ganfet Ultra dual mono amps on tour to members at SHF and I am in the cue to get one to try in about a month....and I will report back.  It will run it in two systems, mine with the M3 Sapphires and a buddy's with the Magnepan 3.7i.

My Sapphires sounded great with the 2Cherry (non ganfet class d) which I would describe as low distortion but some residual 3rd harmonic.

They sound maybe even slightly better (more tonal density) with my current amp from Wells which is a high bias Class a/b...with 2nd harmonic residuals.

The Ultra, per Leo, is intended to be super low distortion, straight wire with gain...so I'm thinking it will sound slightly different than either the Cherry or the Wells...tbd.

catluck

« Reply #62 on: 16 Sep 2022, 12:45 pm »
Should receive the Orchard Starkrimson monos today.  I'll replace the MiniGan 5's listen and let you know what I hear.  FWIW, the MiniGans continue to impress mightily. Listening to Houston Person/Ron Carter (Chemistry) and the sound is detailed, rich, .... couldn't be more satisfied.  I don't think.

morganc

« Reply #63 on: 16 Sep 2022, 04:13 pm »
catluck,

I will also be interested to hear your impressions.  Leo (Orchard Audio) has one of his Ganfet Ultra dual mono amps on tour to members at SHF and I am in the cue to get one to try in about a month....and I will report back.  It will run it in two systems, mine with the M3 Sapphires and a buddy's with the Magnepan 3.7i.

My Sapphires sounded great with the 2Cherry (non ganfet class d) which I would describe as low distortion but some residual 3rd harmonic.

They sound maybe even slightly better (more tonal density) with my current amp from Wells which is a high bias Class a/b...with 2nd harmonic residuals.

The Ultra, per Leo, is intended to be super low distortion, straight wire with gain...so I'm thinking it will sound slightly different than either the Cherry or the Wells...tbd.

Ron will you ask him if he’d be open to an AC tour here for Spatial owners and/or former Cherry owners?  I’d love to hear that new Orchard amp.  TIA if possible and if not no biggie. 

lazbisme

« Reply #64 on: 16 Sep 2022, 06:11 pm »
Yes, please! I signed up for the other tour but surely one for this group would surely go much faster.

morganc

« Reply #65 on: 16 Sep 2022, 06:17 pm »
Agreed.  I miss my Cherry Mesgachsino amp and would like to here the Purifi offerings with opamps from VTV and Apollon Vs the Gan amps here Vs Orchard as well as the AGD amps. Would be a great shootout to have them all in one place or at least half of the above and I'm freaking tired of buying and selling amps to demo them!

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #66 on: 16 Sep 2022, 07:07 pm »
Ron will you ask him if he’d be open to an AC tour here for Spatial owners and/or former Cherry owners?  I’d love to hear that new Orchard amp.  TIA if possible and if not no biggie.

what a great idea.  if a number of us find that the amp sounds as good as the reports below indicate, he will make a number of sales from us spatial geeks.

Don_S

« Reply #67 on: 16 Sep 2022, 07:23 pm »

Why limit the tour?

morganc

« Reply #68 on: 16 Sep 2022, 08:06 pm »
I was proposing where to start the tour, didn't mean to limit anyone. 

Don_S

« Reply #69 on: 16 Sep 2022, 08:08 pm »
I was proposing where to start the tour, didn't mean to limit anyone.

:thumb:

RonN5

« Reply #70 on: 17 Sep 2022, 01:10 am »
Here is the link at SHF… you might consider joining and then posting a request to join the tour. You have to agree to cover all the cost of shipping and insurance to the next person on the list… and to post an honest perspective of what you heard.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/orchard-audio-starkrimson-stereo-ultra-amp-tour.1148415/

morganc

« Reply #71 on: 17 Sep 2022, 04:31 am »
Sweet. Thanks

catluck

« Reply #72 on: 17 Sep 2022, 02:38 pm »
Listening to the Orchard Audio Starkrimson monos.  Contrasting with the Class D Audio monos.  Seems as though both present uber-clarity and transparency with profound bass.  There's something about GanFets; it's a kind of refined, elegant quiet.  The proverbial black background. Like the Class D Audio monos, the Orchards are dead quiet in operation.  No discernable hiss, noise, buzz with ear touching M3 tweeter cage. Excellent voice separation (clarinet, bass, guitar, etc.). Soundstage is WIDE with perhaps foreshortened depth (which could certainly be the fault of my setup/room and probably is).  There's a lilting quality in piano notes that is sooooo satisfying.  No absence of attack or decay but just a delicacy in presentation.... even when you listen louder than usual, the scaling in tone and dynamics remains balanced and, well, just musically consistent with what you'd expect to hear from the real thing.  This dynamic scaling/tonal consistency was immediately apparent with trumpet/fleugel. And I know because I grew up with a father who played trumpet during my entire childhood. I KNOW the sound of trumpet and its ability to go from soft to LOUD, like instantly. And whether Miles, Chet, Fats, Enrico, Thomas, etc., trumpets can scale dynamically... But these amps (both Orchard and Class D) hold the line without ever crossing over into strident.  Again, so satisfying.  And they do it with a tonal purity that you just have to hear.  The Orchard units weigh 2 lbs. (absent outboard power supply) and they sound absolutely amazing.  They're sitting on top of a pair of 100 lb. 845 monoblocks which I have not fired up since getting these GanFet units. I have no desire to. And that's really the tell.  Generally, my habit has been to pursue new/different when I felt l just wasn't getting what I was after in sound quality.  Maybe for the first time in 45 years of listening, I have no impetus to move on from GanFets. Could change, yes.  But there is definitely something new, crazy satisfying going on here. Can't make any statement yet re: which are better - Orchard or Class D?  The Class D chassis, is to my sensibility, is more elegant and aesthetically pleasing.  I'm not a huge fan of the Orchard outboard power supply but it's no big deal.  Listening to "Healing Power" containing sax, guitar and bass. Extraordinary. The M3's sound better than ever. FWIW.

Bingenito

« Reply #73 on: 17 Sep 2022, 03:12 pm »
Catluck

Well said sir. Looks like there is some good to 2022  :lol: The world is going to **** but the new era of power amps are killer.

genjamon

« Reply #74 on: 17 Sep 2022, 09:17 pm »
Catluck, are you using the single ended or balanced inputs on these amps?

catluck

« Reply #75 on: 17 Sep 2022, 10:28 pm »
As you probably know, the Orchards come with only XLR (albeit RCA adapters are provided). I'm all native XLR. I can say that the better the recording quality the more apparent the GanFet voice.  There does seem to be a GanFet "house sound" (and, yeah, I've know, I've listened to a whole 2 GanFet amps. I'm a big expert - yeah).  But with the Orchard and the Class D Audio units, their sound is, well, it's relaxed.  I keep thinking about the old saw, "you don't hear grain", you "hear" the absence of it.  Music seems more grounded, solid.... I actually think it might be the absence of noise/distortion but, admittedly, I have no F'ing idea.  Try to remember the first time you heard really good kit and you thought something like, "WOW...the tone is so pure... the bass so elegant...chewy...textured...the upper frequencies so clean and pitch-rich..."  It's like that.... all over again....  A reinvigorated interest in sound presentation. It's happened only a few times for me over the decades so, yes, I'm enjoying it.  But to keep it relevant to SA, the M3's were already satisfying but driven with GanFets.... I'm trying to contain my enthusiasm because I don't want to be subsequently embarrassed if I change my mind. But unless I'm not hearing what I think I'm hearing the M3's are performing at a level I've not heard previously and the only change is the amps.

Don_S

« Reply #76 on: 17 Sep 2022, 11:06 pm »
Paragraph breaks. The pause that refreshes. Guys, some of your posts are darn hard to read.

genjamon

« Reply #77 on: 17 Sep 2022, 11:13 pm »
Yeah I’m just wondering how much of a difference it makes to go balanced into these amps. I think Mick’s been using his singled ended and hasn’t been quite as effusive in his praise as you have been. He’s another 845 lover.

newzooreview

« Reply #78 on: 18 Sep 2022, 12:04 am »
Paragraph breaks. The pause that refreshes. Guys, some of your posts are darn hard to read.

+1 I good naturedly agree!

Thank you for your observations and comparisons of the GaN amps, however. It's intriguing, even if you are competing with Faulkner in prose style.

RonN5

« Reply #79 on: 18 Sep 2022, 12:43 am »
Morganc

Congrats… you are welcome.