NX-otica in a narrow room

Rthomeint

NX-otica in a narrow room
« on: 30 Jul 2022, 04:02 am »
Hello all, I have a question for the group. I have a room that is 11 feet wide and 28 feet long. I am currently using a pair of Martin-Logan Electromotion esl that are placed 15 inches from the side walls. The room has absorption and diffusion at the primary and secondary refection points. Can the NX-oticas be placed in the same location as the Martin-Logans? Is the dispersion pattern of an open baffle different from the dispersion pattern of an electrostatic panel? I placed an order for a pair of NX-otica a few days ago. I want to make sure the NX-Otica will work in my room.

Badd99

Re: NX-otica in a narrow room
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2022, 11:22 am »
Being open baffle they are very forgiving of being close to side walls, they just need room behind them. My room is 11ft 6in wide and nx otica work very well... But I have full front wall and side wall qrd diffusers.

I know you said you have room treatment so you likely will be very happy. If not add more qrd diffusers to the side walls, not just in front reflection but behind the speaker on the sidewall as the speaker is a dipole.

Kaiju2189

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2022, 06:07 pm »
Badd

Are you using servo subs as well. My room is 11’ wide 19’ long. Speakers are 50” off the short wall. Oticas are my current long term build goal, along with a couple of double stack servos. Building some Encores to get some veneering practice currently😁

I have some older Spatial Audio Open baffle speakers now that are 20” wide and am trying to imagine how I would set up Oticas with servo subs situated behind / beside….ish them.

Would love to see a pic of a set up if you you or anyone has one, in a room that is about an 11’ wide.

Badd99

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2022, 02:10 am »
Badd

Are you using servo subs as well. My room is 11’ wide 19’ long. Speakers are 50” off the short wall. Oticas are my current long term build goal, along with a couple of double stack servos. Building some Encores to get some veneering practice currently😁

I have some older Spatial Audio Open baffle speakers now that are 20” wide and am trying to imagine how I would set up Oticas with servo subs situated behind / beside….ish them.

Would love to see a pic of a set up if you you or anyone has one, in a room that is about an 11’ wide.

Yes I have a pair of triple servo subs. Servo ob subs are amazing in small rooms because they don't pressurize the room and it's so much better sounding. No room rattle!!

I don't have a finshed dedicated room pic with gear atm but it's 11'6"x21' with full qrd diffusers and giant diy ceiling absorption. Amazing sounding.

russellberg

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2022, 03:40 am »

My room is not quite as narrow as yours but perhaps this is helpful.  Mine is 13' wide.  The Oticas are 42" off the back wall and 30" off the side walls.  I just have the one H frame but I also have one of Danny's sealed subs behind the listening position.  I am completely in love with this setup.