Dry recordings

matevana

Dry recordings
« on: 20 Jan 2022, 05:56 pm »
Can anyone recommend a jazz track or album that sounds as if it were recorded in a very dry room?  I'm looking for material with almost no apparent echo or room reflections, as anechoic sounding as possible. I realize this is rare (often undesirable) but I'd like it for testing purposes.  Thanks in advance! 

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Dry recordings
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2022, 07:10 pm »
Give a listen to just about anything from soundliason

https://www.soundliaison.com/

Also ECM recordings.

This album by Tord Gustavsen is worth a listen

https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-ground-mw0000736311

matevana

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2022, 07:35 pm »
Thanks!  We listen to a lot of the same things. I currently own 4-5 of the one-mic recordings from Sound Liaison. The albums I have are mostly live recordings and the venues take on more of a hall-like character (you can really hear this on the applause at the end of each track). Well recorded tracks for sure though.  I also own The Ground from TG so I'll go back and check that one out. In my mind, I'm thinking maybe something like a jazz trio recorded in a small neutral room, with each instrument closely mic'd and no ambient mics used?  It's proving hard to find.   

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2022, 02:45 am »
To me it sounds a close-up recording but the performances are superb first class, one of my favor Jazz albums:

« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2022, 05:11 am by FullRangeMan »

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2022, 03:30 am »
Thanks!  We listen to a lot of the same things. I currently own 4-5 of the one-mic recordings from Sound Liaison. The albums I have are mostly live recordings and the venues take on more of a hall-like character (you can really hear this on the applause at the end of each track). Well recorded tracks for sure though.  I also own The Ground from TG so I'll go back and check that one out. In my mind, I'm thinking maybe something like a jazz trio recorded in a small neutral room, with each instrument closely mic'd and no ambient mics used?  It's proving hard to find.

Also check out Blue Coast recordings.  Usually single mic.

Anouar brahem Astounding Eyes or Rita ECM recording.  Dead silent background.

matevana

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2022, 09:51 am »
To me it sounds a close-up recording but the performances are superb first class, one of my favor Jazz albums:

This is good. Thanks for the suggestion.