Trust your ears

AzTunes

Trust your ears
« on: 2 Jan 2022, 08:40 pm »
Greetings,

Well, it’s been a while since my last post and thought I would share some of my audio experiences. Recently I’ve been involved with fine tuning my room and wanted to share some insight on speaker placement. This is truly one of the most critical (and rewarding)adjustments one can perform  on their system. I have ben using a equilateral triangular setup and wasn’t really satisfied with some of the mid- range tonality of my room. I spent a few day’s recently adjusting speakers and the results were simply astonishing! Before repositioning my speakers I was convinced my Kismet power amplifier wasn’t complimenting my Focal Aria 926’s. Was I wrong! Bass got tighter the mids woke-up ( high frequencies were already very good). All due to some worth while speaker adjustments
My room is pretty tight acoustically, My listening SPL in this room is in the mid 70’s. At this listening level the room becomes transparent… truly amazing sonics!

I’ve have an OTL SET headphone amplifier (Feliks Euphoria W/ Focal Clear headphones ) I use periodically and was impressed on how the two systems compare to one another.  By this I mean linearity, detail, clarity. It’s really amazing…

The moral to this story; spend some time adjusting your speakers, use the math to rough-in their position. Use your ears to fine tune their placement.

Dishman442

Re: Trust your ears
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2022, 01:54 pm »
Thanks for your post and the good information!  I’ll also be going through positioning challenges soon I hope.

AzTunes

Re: Trust your ears
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2022, 09:18 pm »
Thanks aDishman442,
When you get to your speaker positing I would recommend using Klaus’s setup disc. It’s very useful for this effort. Additionally, I found placing my speakers (towers) on tile (I have concrete flooring with heavily padded carpet on top of it) the fine positioning of the speakers became way easier.