Can you recommend one living jazz muscian that I should know about

simoon

The question OP is a bit open ended. There are so many different styles, genres, and subgenres of jazz, all can be, and are far, different.

So, I will post several recommendations of various genres.

First off, M-BASE is a style, that despite being in some pretty odd time signatures, still has tons of groove. Started by sax player, Steve Coleman (winner of the McGarther  genius grant a couple of years ago), but there are many others in the genre.

Here a sample. Drum solo for the first 2 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhRO_ROkjl4

simoon

Acoustic bass player, Michael Formanek.

One might call this post bop, but that's a bit broad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oWHu8_vHF4

simoon

Some pretty complex (harmonically and time signature), fusion by Austrian guitarist, Alex Machacek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBarB-I8NpY

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
British scene artist like Moses Boyd were already mentioned earlier, so a big +1 to those, but also have to add in GoGo Penguin. Super good simple 3 piece. Other ones to add would be The Bad Plus, BADBADNOTGOOD, Mammal Hands, and Fred Hersch and another +1 to Brad Mehldau Trio. Their cover of Alice In Chains "Got Me Wrong" is so good.

jdbrian

Lots come to mind- Fred Hersh Trio, Herbie Hancock, Benny Green, Jacky Terrasson, Ahmad Jamal- These are all piano players. And, yes Ahmad Jamal is still alive and still playing. If you want to be amazed by a 87 year old piano player, just search  YouTube for his videos.
Can’t forget Bob James or Lee Ritenour. They were both part of a group called Fourplay which is worth checking out.
Vocals- Jane Monheit, Melody Gardot, Cassandra Wilson and Canadian vocalist Holly Cole who recently recorded a very good sounding album.
If you are looking for something demanding in terms of dynamics- Return of the Headhunters with Herbie Hancock.

gonefishin

Thanks for all the awesome recommendations!

The main motivator for my post is to compile a list of living musicians that I would love to see in concert (should covid restrictions lighten up in the future).  Asking for recommendations is simply because there are so many skilled musicians (both well known to many and regionally known) that I don't know well enough. 

I've had too many musicians that I could have seen during my lifetime and frankly should have, but I passed up the opportunity. 

Thanks,
 Dan

Freo-1

Chris Botti.  Incredible talent.  A cross of Chet Baker and 50s Miles Davis. 

twitch54

. And, yes Ahmad Jamal is still alive and still playing. If you want to be amazed by a 87 year old piano player, just search  YouTube for his videos.

I couldn't agree more and since the Op asked for performers 'while still alive' I'll add another fav of mine ….

BeeGie Adair, seen her multiple times and never fails to impress !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOtUIMrJUyc

Larkston Zinaspic

DigIndig

Since you're goal is to see some incredible musicians live while you can, the best answer of who to see is "whoever is playing near you." If you have a jazz club nearby, stop in sometime and ask the staff there who's coming that they consider a "do not miss." They will rarely steer you wrong.

If you want my advice, one living jazz musician I think everyone should see at least once is Chihiro Yamanaka. Here in the US she is virtually unknown, but in Europe and Japan she's a star. Probably the most brilliant pianist I know. And if you happen to catch her with her New York trio (with Yoshi Waki on bass and John Davis on drums), you are in for a real treat with some of the finest musicians on the planet. These are the guys she records with, and for good reason. Yoshi plays all over New York, and John pops up here and there when he's not touring with Cassandra Wilson or Leslie Odom Jr. (of Hamilton fame).

Freo-1

I couldn't agree more and since the Op asked for performers 'while still alive' I'll add another fav of mine ….

BeeGie Adair, seen her multiple times and never fails to impress !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOtUIMrJUyc

+1

Larkston Zinaspic

Isao Suzuki, like Ahmad Jamal, is still going at 87....

https://youtu.be/iJczoKTycAw

Would love to have some proper vinyl reissues of some of his ensemble jazz from the seventies....

jjss49

chris potter as mentioned above is simply brilliant

i would suggest gonzalo rubalcaba == tremendous talent

Lefatshe

the British scene is fantastic right now.

Moses Boyd
Sons of Kemet
Nubya Garcia
Shabaka Hutchings (The Comet is Coming)
Yazmin Lacey
Theon Cross

From Chicago
Makaya McCraven

From Norway
Hedvig Mollestad

Thanks for this list of very contemporary "alive" jazz musician that people should know about (I agree with most, and will look into the ones I don't know). Here's my list of some that are "alive" and have been around a long time, and more up-and-coming musicians.

Bassists:  Dave Holland, Buster Williams, Linda May Han Oh, Larry Grenadier, Ben Allison
Pianists:  Vijay Iyer, Ethan Iverson, Jason Moran, Robert Glasper, Helge Lien
Drummers:  Jack Dejohnette, Mark Guiliana, Terreon Gully, Jeff Ballard
Vibraphone: Gary Burton, Stefon Harris
Sax:  Archie Shepp, Charles Lloyd, Kamasi Washington, Immanuel Wilkins

So many, and such great music. 

jjss49

just heard the wonderful dave holland live this evening at sfjazz, playing alongside jason moran, ravi coltrane, teri lynn carrington... lovely tribute to the recently passed geri allen

dave holland is still in absolutely tip top form... just brillant...

Merryvale92

Cecilie Strange

Jeff_From_Michigan

Cecilie Strange

Beautiful music, thanks for the rec!

sanlanman

Scott Hamilton. He's getting up there in years, but his body of work is for the most part excellent traditional Saxaphone Jazz.