Phono Stage for Candela?

James^

Phono Stage for Candela?
« on: 21 May 2020, 04:14 am »
Any dedicated VINYL listeners using the Candela pre-amp (in front of Odyssey amps)?

I am thinking about a Candela pre-amp,
but I have never had, or needed to do the "separate phono stage" thing before.

I would be looking for a tube phono stage

Any comments, suggestions or far-ranging discussion welcome.

Thanks,

James

urbanshaman

Re: Phono Stage for Candela?
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2020, 01:52 pm »
I have a newer line stage preamp, and I have some older functioning preamps that are not as useful to fully use -- they lack remote control, have noisy switches, lack modern rca in/out plugs, etc. I use the phono stage from an older preamp by running a cable from the tape out plugs. "Back in the day" most preamps had decent to great phono stages, and now the trend is towards stand-alone pricey phono stages. Some may say using an old preamp instead of a new phono stage is electronically inferior, but I have found that it works well.

Phil A

Re: Phono Stage for Candela?
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2020, 03:17 pm »
I have a newer line stage preamp, and I have some older functioning preamps that are not as useful to fully use -- they lack remote control, have noisy switches, lack modern rca in/out plugs, etc. I use the phono stage from an older preamp by running a cable from the tape out plugs. "Back in the day" most preamps had decent to great phono stages, and now the trend is towards stand-alone pricey phono stages. Some may say using an old preamp instead of a new phono stage is electronically inferior, but I have found that it works well.

Yes - some of the older preamps had really nice phono stages (like CJ).  While it may not be on their website (it's not tubed), Odyssey makes a really nice phono stage -

https://www.stereophile.com/content/caf2016-herbs-wrap

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=158974.0