Any Heard These Electrstatic Kits by ER Audio

bluesky

« on: 7 Jun 2004, 12:01 am »
Hi All

I recently came across these speaker kits but I have not heard or seen of them before.  

The site address is http://www.eraudio.com.au/Kits/kits.html

ER Audio are offering electrstatic speaker kits for around $2,000, however I have never heard of them before or seen any reviews of them and was wondering if anyone else has done so.  

I recently got some PCB's from Rod Elliott and mentioned them to him.  Rod said he may be getting them himself sometime down the track.

Any comments or information would be greatly appreciated.

As an aside I got one of those flea market bargains the other day.  It was a $1 Jim Croce LP from K Tel (remember them) and it sounds great, brand new by the looks of it too, I was quite pleasantly surprised at how good the recording was.  Especially after installing a new volume pot, an Alps from Chris Taylor in Melbourne for only $20 or $25 from memory.  This pot has 22 tiny resistors each channel  and is an absolute bargain for my money, it is much better than the Alps Blue I somehow managed to destroy whilst building my Aksa kits.

Ian

eslbarney

« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2004, 09:52 am »
Haven't had a look over here for some time so my response is a little dated but in answer to your question I have a set set of slightly modified ER speakers. They replaced Quad 57's and stacked Quad 57's and I have never looked back. Rob's service is excellent and the product is brilliant although it has flaws and will not be for everyone.

shooter

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2004, 10:01 pm »
I love my ELS 3, use with the bass contour network and a subwoofer crossover at about 90hz, what modification did you do on yours?

bluesky

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2004, 11:12 pm »
It is good to hear that someone has these new speakers.  Rod Elliott will be selling some kits shortly I believe and I have no doubt they will be well priced given Rod's attitude to giving good value for money, make that fantastic value for money. :D

Can you give us some idea of how they sound and what they do well and not so well at?

Were they easy to make and any comparisons would be really helpful.

Many thanks,

Ian

shooter

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2004, 11:57 pm »
I build these speakers over a year ago, playing 12 hrs a day in my business location, so far totally reliable, because lack of time they are still in some ugly nail together wood frame, but the sound! the detail and speed are unparrellal, no real deep bass though, on mine there is a very strong 50hz resonance when ran full range, may be from my construction with the light weight non rigid wood frame, but I crossoved over to a Muse 18 subwoofer with the Quad 63 personality card, it is not a problem any longer, they sounded incredible, most speakers sound veil compared to these, the sweet spot is very narrow even with the angled panels, I have many people walk into my business and totally blown away, one delivery guy thought a real Tibetan monk was chanting, It was funny to see his expression when he was peeking around the corner and thougt he would see a person. Take your time when builting the panels, and make sure you stretch the film on a large flat piece of glass, the super glue will take some practice to spread a even bead.
My other speakers are the large Apogee ribbon speakers, they don't get play much any more.

eslbarney

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2004, 09:25 am »
Mine were originally designed for a studio. The treble panels are not recessed to the rear of the bass panels, ala Quad. Instead they are one flat panel. I have made no electrical modifications but have mounted them in a rigid tubular stainless steel frame with a heavy timber plinth.
The panels themselves don't go super loud and they don't make deep bass. I like the bass of the Quad 57's, but for me, these, need reinforcing with a sub.  Plans on the drawing board for 2 dipole subs.
However, the transparency and detail are second to none. I think it comes from the use of very thin mylar and no dust jacket over the panels.
From a reliability point of view I have done things to the ER speakers I would never dream of doing to Quads. They are in the harshest possible condition and perform superbly every time. Can make a few strange noises in extremely wet weather but as I said mine are nearly outside. my Quads could never live where these do.
I have accidently switched the amps on and briefly put 225 watts straight into them. No problem. Blew the protective resistors and no damage done.
They are a little hands on and they do like serious power but I haven't had a speaker upgrade urge since I've had them.

barfind

« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2004, 03:55 am »
I looked at these a few months ago, but couldn't get any recomendation for power amp for the.. Hugh says dont use an aksa to drive them, and the only other amp I have is a 10w tube.

What are you guys driveing them with?

Nigel

bluesky

« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2004, 05:11 am »
Hi

I was wondering why Hugh advised against using his amps on these speakers?  Is there something unusual that makes them unsuitable?

I have Hugh's Akonics and at first thought they were just er "nice" but since I have ugraded my Shanling CDT-100 they really shine now.  I upgraded the clock (Guido Tent) and added Fred diodes, WE396A tubes and AD625 opamps and it has been a significant improvement.  I just wonder if I added the Nirvana Plus kit if it would take another step forward as well.

I do like the look of the line arrays at Zalytron, most comments from users state they are the bees knees especially with imaging and detail which is what I am after.  But if the Aksonics keep be able to keep up with any upgrades I make to the amp and preamp I don't know if I'll bother.  At the moment they just disappear when music is played, just what good speakers are supposed to do, and the imaging has improved as well.  Which just goes to show how improving your front end can seemingly improve your speakers!

Cheers

Ian

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 21 Oct 2004, 09:18 am »
Quote from: bluesky
I was wondering why Hugh advised against using his amps on these speakers?  Is there something unusual that makes them unsuitable?

Electrostatics are a capacitive load, which the AKSA doesn't like.