Possible problem With BHA-1

Brinn

Possible problem With BHA-1
« on: 6 Jun 2017, 12:44 am »
I bought a BHA-1 in February 2017 – it was a low s/n demo model. I was happy with the sound, but I soon noticed a crackling when adjusting volume.

So two weeks ago I sent it into Bryston to have the pot checked out (and LED colour changed since it was there anyway). It was not until they sent it back to me that I found out they could hear nothing wrong with it which is worrisome to me because there was a very audible crackling.

I was prepared to let it rest since Mike assured me that they gave it a cleaning and the crackling was gone, but now there is a constant buzzing in my headphones especially in high gain. I have it in the low gain setting, but the buzz is still audible. I don't recall a buzzing before I sent it to them.

To make matters stranger the buzzing disappears when I increase the volume knob to about 11 o'clock. All of this is of course with no music playing.

Perhaps I simply did not notice the buzzing before, but I'm sure things were dead silent – is it common to have a buzzing? The buzzing doesn't increase in volume when I adjust the knob except as I said it disappears at about 11 o'clock and increases when I put the volume to zero.

This is all rather disappointing but somewhat moot since I'd rather not send it off again.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Possible problem With BHA-1
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2017, 12:58 am »
Hi

It should be quiet. 

What efficiency are your headphones?

james

Brinn

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2017, 04:27 am »
Sennheiser HD 600 with silverdragon balanced stereo cable is all I can tell you hope that helps :)

The Gilmore Lite amp I used in the interim was silent and i'm pretty sure this amp was too. I'm kicking myself because a bit of crackling when I turn the volume knob was really a non-issue that I should've just put up with. This buzz/hum is not deafeningly loud, but annoying nonetheless when the music ends.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2017, 09:52 am »
Sennheiser HD 600 with silverdragon balanced stereo cable is all I can tell you hope that helps :)

The Gilmore Lite amp I used in the interim was silent and i'm pretty sure this amp was too. I'm kicking myself because a bit of crackling when I turn the volume knob was really a non-issue that I should've just put up with. This buzz/hum is not deafeningly loud, but annoying nonetheless when the music ends.

I would contact Mike again - where are you located.

james

Brinn

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2017, 04:41 pm »
Halifax, NS

I've isolated it to the balanced stereo socket (hum still there when ICs removed). And no hum when I switch to single-ended HP cable.

Maybe when LED was changed some solder got on something or something got "dinged"? Obviously I don't know what I'm talking about, but the proximity of the LED to the balanced stereo socket may mean something.

I don't know Mr. Tanner my problem with the pot wasn't addressed. If the tech is not in a quiet room this may not be addressed either. I have a feeling Mike is tired of me  :)

edit: No, the hum is there with the single-ended cable too just more faint