Introducing the MCP-18 Audiophile Multichannel Preamp

jmotzi

FYI - The MCP-18 remote does not have discrete button commands for selecting the various inputs.  The following RS232 commands are available but NuForce has confirmed that there are no corresponding Pronto (IR) hex codes for these discrete input commands (“the current software doesn’t allow it”):

Sicd          Change Source to CD
     Sidvd        Change Source to DVD
     sibal          Change Source to BAL
     si7ch1-1   Change Source to 7.1CH-1
     si7ch1-2   Change Source to 7.1CH-2

So with regards to inputs, it’s not possible to operate from a known state with an IR Remote but rather it requires scrolling up or down through the inputs :(
I hope that someday there will be an update…….

JM
Downingtown, PA

RichPark

Re: Introducing the MCP-18 Audiophile Multichannel Preamp
« Reply #81 on: 17 Aug 2014, 01:15 am »
So you are calling this preamp a TOAD. Toggle/Cycling-Only Actuated device.  I know this is a lame solution, but one could write a macro to scroll to the correct input and turn on the device corresponding to that that same input. Then assign another button to scroll back and then turn everything off.  This is an awkward solution and even more awkwardly written. This solution has worked for me in the past when I had a problem with turning on a Sony TV to watch cable or play a bluray. This will only work if you have a remote which will do macros

« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2014, 03:19 am by RichPark »

RichPark

« Reply #82 on: 17 Aug 2014, 01:27 am »
This preamp is definitely a great deal at its current price.  I tried it with my ncore and it lacked depth. I had difficulty understanding any sung lyric. Especially if there were a cacophony of instruments.  All of the sonic details were audible but they appeared to come out of a single dimensional plane.  At first I thought I had a speaker out of phase, but after I pulled the Ncore and put in my ancient Jeff Rowland Model 1 the curtain was drawn open and a deep musical stage spread out in front of me. (hyperbole alert) 

You need exceptional electronics to make Shane McGowan's voice intelligible  in the whirling compositions of the Pogues. This combination has worked wonders with "Rum Sodomy and the Lash". 

I  then selected Sting "Soul Cages", Jeremiah Blues (Part 1) and the music envelopes the entire wall as each musician weaves an incredible sonic tapestry.  On "The Wild Wild Sea" the drums are stellar with this current set up.  The thwack of the drums, during this piece, appear to fill a large space between both of my speakers and I cant stop wondering how this ancient amplifier can be driven to create such beautiful music by such a reasonably priced preamp.  I am genuinely hooked. 

Yes I admit the remote looks and feels like a blister pack of Suphedrine. I will definitely have to figure out a way to program another remote.
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2014, 03:11 am by RichPark »

RBen

« Reply #83 on: 30 Sep 2014, 04:15 am »
Hey guys I just found this thread I know its a little old but any body got more info or thoughts or mini reviews on the MCP-18 ?I have a Bel Canto Ref 500s Amp and a OPPO 105 sonus faber grand piano speakers but no preamp. Im thinking it would work well with the MCP-18 .

Doug_Mann

« Reply #84 on: 13 Oct 2014, 07:36 pm »
Hi RBen.  Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but what are you currently using for your volume control?

I don't see how you could go wrong with the MCP-18.  You can use the excellent quality multi-channel output of your BDP-105 and still have a couple of MCP-18 inputs left over for other multi-channel or stereo devices if needed.

I've been using an MCP-18 for about a month as the volume control for a pair of home-built active speakers that use an MCP-18 channel for each of the four frequency bands (low, mid, high, super-high) per speaker.  The MCP-18 does seem to be extremely transparent; it operates smoothly and silently; and it give the impression of a well-engineered component that's worth significantly more than the current price.  Good luck with your system!

Doug

John Casler

« Reply #85 on: 14 Oct 2014, 10:16 pm »
Hey guys I just found this thread I know its a little old but any body got more info or thoughts or mini reviews on the MCP-18 ?I have a Bel Canto Ref 500s Amp and a OPPO 105 sonus faber grand piano speakers but no preamp. Im thinking it would work well with the MCP-18 .

As a NuFORCE Dealer, I have had significant experience with the MCP-18.  Also as an OPPO Dealer, I have had the same with their players.

I will work perfectly, with your OPPO 105, and better than most other Preamps, it takes advantage of the 105's XLR outputs in 2 channel by having a pair of XLR inputs for Stereo use.

makdoogle

« Reply #86 on: 21 Oct 2014, 04:08 pm »
If you were to use the XLR outputs from the Oppo BDP-105 to the XLR inputs to the MCP-18 would this connection only work durring 2 channel operation?  If so would I have to change a setting in the Oppo for 2 channel operation or does it do that automaticly based on the source?
If I was watching a movie and wanted 5.1 would I have to connect the F/R and F/L RCAs in addition to the XLRs?

srb

« Reply #87 on: 21 Oct 2014, 05:18 pm »
The Stereo Audio Out jacks of the Oppo BDP-105 (both unbalanced RCA and balanced XLR) are dedicated down-mixed stereo signals regardless of any audio processing settings in the setup menu.  You would have to also connect the FL and FR RCA outputs for 5.1 playback.

Steve

John Casler

« Reply #88 on: 21 Oct 2014, 05:19 pm »
If you were to use the XLR outputs from the Oppo BDP-105 to the XLR inputs to the MCP-18 would this connection only work durring 2 channel operation?  If so would I have to change a setting in the Oppo for 2 channel operation or does it do that automaticly based on the source?
If I was watching a movie and wanted 5.1 would I have to connect the F/R and F/L RCAs in addition to the XLRs?

Yes, using the L&R XLR inputs will "only" send a stereo signal to the L&R XLR (or RCA) outputs.

The signal to the any of the outputs, (XLR or RCA) will be determined by whatever "INPUT" you select.

Your OPPO 105 will determine how many channels are active, and you will have to set it to the desired setting.

Check your OPPO manual regarding whether the XLR outs are active during 5.1 Playback.

(I see Steve already posted the answer while I was posting)

makdoogle

« Reply #89 on: 25 Oct 2014, 07:41 pm »
Next question: Are the 2 channel inputs (CD and DVD) straight 2 channel or can you use a subwoofer with these inputs?  Thanks.

John Casler

« Reply #90 on: 25 Oct 2014, 08:22 pm »
Next question: Are the 2 channel inputs (CD and DVD) straight 2 channel or can you use a subwoofer with these inputs?  Thanks.

The 2 channel outputs are STEREO.  There is no crossover circuitry in the MCP-18.

To use a SUB in two channel, simply add a "splitter" to each channel and run the left & right channels to a sub that has a low-pass filter input in it's amp.

Adjust the roll in frequency of the sub to match the roll off frequency of your L&R mains.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #91 on: 27 Oct 2014, 06:10 pm »
Hi John and makdoogle.  I have a MCP-18.  To solve the bass management issue I wired up a simple box with RCA jacks and resistors that sums the Left, Right, and LFE channels from the MCP-18 to one mono channel for the subwoofer.  I soldered 1/2 watt 1000 ohm resistors to each RCA jack input (3 total), and soldered the other end of the resistors together at the mono RCA jack output for the sub.  All input/output RCA jack grounds (collar) are connected together.  I added a balancing transformer so I could run a balanced line to my pro electronic crossover, but that won't be necessary for most powered subs.  This can be done with Radio Shack parts and a little effort.

Russ

jk@home

« Reply #92 on: 28 Oct 2014, 12:46 pm »
Thinking about one of these as a 6 channel preamp for a stereo system consisting of a pair of satellites and 4 subs (with the DSP x-over, EQ and DACs upstream). I understand that the L/R channels are said to be a higher quality type of volume control. Does this also apply when using the 7.1 inputs?

John Casler

« Reply #93 on: 28 Oct 2014, 04:28 pm »
Thinking about one of these as a 6 channel preamp for a stereo system consisting of a pair of satellites and 4 subs (with the DSP x-over, EQ and DACs upstream). I understand that the L/R channels are said to be a higher quality type of volume control. Does this also apply when using the 7.1 inputs?

Yes.

jk@home

« Reply #94 on: 28 Oct 2014, 04:33 pm »
Excellent, thanks John.

jk@home

« Reply #95 on: 1 Nov 2014, 02:14 am »
« Last Edit: 7 Nov 2014, 04:10 pm by jk@home »

RBen

« Reply #96 on: 16 Nov 2014, 10:34 pm »
Thanks  all but I have decided to save my money and work towards a upper end preamp. You know I sent Nuforce 3 E-mail and no response And yes i cked my spam hard to buy from a company that don't respond to E-mails  :(

jk@home

« Reply #97 on: 17 Nov 2014, 12:27 am »
I noticed the MCP-18 is not on the new Optoma NuForce product page, assuming it has been discontinued? Hope the existing ones will still be supported (warranty wise) by the new company.

http://nuforce.optoma.com/product.php

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Mr. Casler, what's the preamp's Voltage gain?
« Reply #98 on: 9 Dec 2014, 03:26 am »
I don't see that in the Specs table.

bh46118

« Reply #99 on: 10 Dec 2014, 03:04 pm »
I wonder how repairable the unit would be long term by someone other than NuForce ?