Decent CD player ?

BobC

Re: Decent CD player ?
« Reply #20 on: 15 Apr 2009, 01:26 am »
Given it's my first BR player I can't answer...but if you do some research you'll find...
1.  Only one at the price point that plays all formats
2.  General consensus is the BR playback is on par with the it's competitors (very good), but the SD DVD up conversion is superior.
3.  Proactive customer service
4.  Rabid fan club  :lol:

That was good enough for me given it was a $500 purchase....and I've been very pleased with it as a BR / DVD player.  If it breaks in more and the CD play improves to the level of my current reference (Arcam DV78) then I'll be thrilled, but for now the Arcam stays.  Also, if they ever add FLAC support to the media gallery feature I'll be really happy!   :D

But back on topic...I'd be really hesitent to spend $500 on a CDP and expect anything much better than the Oppo.  Maybe I'll find a ~$500 DAC that I could use with the Oppo as a transport...but it'll have to beat out the Arcam.  Hope to find time to compare the Arcam against the CA DACMagic that my local high fi shop now stocks.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #21 on: 15 Apr 2009, 01:27 am »
The original Rega Planet is well under $300 and still holds its own.  Ooooodles of reviews can be found on the net, I'm sure.

rahimlee54

« Reply #22 on: 15 Apr 2009, 01:44 am »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=66848.0 looks pretty good buy a fellow ACer, I have heard a couple arcam products two years ago and thought they were very good but out of price reach for me.  I wonder if they have any reliability problems.  If it is still for sale that is sent a pm earlier.

I am still checking out different stuff though that you guy are suggesting, I dont think another BR player is in order since I already have the PS3 but I may change my mind at some point.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #23 on: 15 Apr 2009, 03:04 am »
The original Rega Planet is well under $300 and still holds its own.  Ooooodles of reviews can be found on the net, I'm sure.

I have no idea how it compares to newer players, but the Planet was definitely an excellent value in its day.

I enjoyed the time I spent with mine.

George

Nuance

« Reply #24 on: 15 Apr 2009, 01:46 pm »
The nice thing about the Oppo is it handles all the advanced HT codecs internally or bitstreams them and does SACD via PCM or DSD..and on and on.
I am sure there are other cd decks that are as good or even better built, but this one is in the sweet spot for a great all around player for stereo to HT and beyond.

Alex
+1  From everything I have read, it's going to be a winner. 

So, does Oppo BD-83 outperform all these BD's by Sony, Panasonic and so on <$500 in terms of a picture quality? Just curious.
Check out the below thread.  It has comparo's from many people and various different players.  In short, after Oppo finishes the tweaks and officially releases the product, it sounds like it will be untouchable for the price.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1136139

turkey

« Reply #25 on: 15 Apr 2009, 02:20 pm »
I would recommend Oppo too, although if you're going to get a DAC anyway, it basically doesn't matter what you use as a transport. Pick any well-known brand of DVD player and you'll be fine.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #26 on: 15 Apr 2009, 02:23 pm »
Alex and Nuance,
Thanks for the links.
Do not mean to hijack the post, so the last ?-- what resolution of digital audio output (co-ax) do you get from  BD-83? Is it a standard 16/44 (or 16/48 kHz) or higher?
Art

denjo

« Reply #27 on: 15 Apr 2009, 02:48 pm »
I had a listen to Onkyo's audiophile-grade CDP (DX-7555) and was quite blown over by the build and sound quality and the reasonable price tag! Has anyone else auditioned the Onkyo CDP?

http://www.us.onkyo.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Compact%20Disc

tvyankee

« Reply #28 on: 15 Apr 2009, 03:26 pm »
hello

the oppo will put a raw pcm track out(coax/optical)) so this means it is output anything the disc has on it. it only puts  sacd over the hdmi output and also the anlog outputs as well.  this unit as far i as know is one of the units that will do this. for the money this unit really kicks ass. if you don't care that much about the video part i would go with 980 and not the 983.

when you hear a track that is real 96/192 you'll say to yourself thats what i've been missing. its really very cool.

good luck

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #29 on: 15 Apr 2009, 04:37 pm »
Art,

I just got off the phone with OPPO, I wanted to make sure of the answer I am posting for your question.

Digital coaxial and optical are only 16 bit.

They can support 2 channels up to 192Khz. so....

The 2 ch audio is spec'd at 16/192. No oversampling.

Alex
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2009, 06:27 pm by adydula »

Art_Chicago

« Reply #30 on: 15 Apr 2009, 06:31 pm »

Thanks a lot, Alex

mchuckp

« Reply #31 on: 15 Apr 2009, 10:28 pm »

So, does Oppo BD-83 outperform all these BD's by Sony, Panasonic and so on <$500 in terms of a picture quality? Just curious.
[/quote]

From what I've read of bluray players is that most of them perform very well for PQ and hard to tell the difference for bluray playback.  Where the Oppo excels is that you can adjust an insane amount of things for those perfectionists out there.  DVD playback is incredible with the Anchor Bay VRS.

If someone strictly wants bluray, I think you might as well go with a cheaper solution as long as you can deal with the slower load times.  If you want top notch DVD playback, like to tinker, or want enhanced audio like SACD, DVD-A, I think the Oppo is a bargain at $500.

sanlanman

« Reply #32 on: 16 Apr 2009, 01:56 am »
I have decided to go ahead and get a dedicated cd player instead of using my PS3, I was wondering if anyone could throw out some suggestions on a nice neutral cd player <500, I plan on using just this until I get I can get a DAC.  I'd like to be able to pop in DVDA and SACDs in just in case I get the urge but that isnt a deal breaker.  I couldnt really decide where to post this but I figured on this section would be good,since you can tell me what you think works well with salks.

Used is cool.

Jared

Back on topic. Jared, I would second the recommendation of the Cambridge Audio 540C. It was an Absolute Sound best player in its price range recommendation when it came out a few years ago. I have the next higher unit, the 640C and it was a significant improvement over my old NAD unit. I think the 540C has a digital output, so you could add a DAC later and use it solely as a transport.

Then again, I have had one high end HI FI dealer do a confessional demo using a cheap Panasonic DVD player and a Benchmark DAC into a high end amp/speaker setup, which rivaled any other player he had in his shop, including Rega.

doorman

« Reply #33 on: 16 Apr 2009, 02:57 am »

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #34 on: 16 Apr 2009, 03:45 am »
http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZCD.htm
Don

Another option would be to buy the TASCAM CD160MkII CD Player from Amazon for $275.00, of which the Decware is a modified unit, and use an external DAC, despite the initial cost potentially being higher, depending on the DAC.

Disbeliever

« Reply #35 on: 16 Apr 2009, 09:37 am »
The best value CD/SACD player  for High Quality sound on the market at present is the Sony SCD-XA5400ES exceptionally good with HDMI outputs for both RB CD & SACD both Stereo & surround.  The Sony whilst more expensive that the Universal Oppo 980H definately sounds better.

rahimlee54

« Reply #36 on: 16 Apr 2009, 11:10 am »
Should I be trying to get a DAC and less expensive cd player now as a opposed to waiting?  Should my question be DAC <500, with a oppo 980? Will this give me a better sounding system then a former flagship CDP?

Thoughts

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #37 on: 16 Apr 2009, 12:03 pm »
Should I be trying to get a DAC and less expensive cd player now as a opposed to waiting?  Should my question be DAC <500, with a oppo 980? Will this give me a better sounding system then a former flagship CDP?

Thoughts

Yes, in my opinion, based upon my limited experience.  You will also have more flexibility.

Nuance

« Reply #38 on: 16 Apr 2009, 12:55 pm »

Thoughts
Yes.  That's the only way I would go.  If something happens to the CD player, you can always get another cheao one and run it through the DAC.  Heck, you can use any old CD player that has a digital output when paired with a DAC.  The DAC in the DAC will render the CD player's useless, so why spend a bunch of money on a CD player AND a DAC?

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #39 on: 16 Apr 2009, 02:10 pm »

Thoughts
Yes.  That's the only way I would go.  If something happens to the CD player, you can always get another cheao one and run it through the DAC.  Heck, you can use any old CD player that has a digital output when paired with a DAC.  The DAC in the DAC will render the CD player's useless, so why spend a bunch of money on a CD player AND a DAC?

All transport don't sound alike and digital cables make a big difference in sound Don't kid yourself about that a a good transport is just as important as the dac

ED