Laptop for Off Ramp Turbo

Brucemck

Laptop for Off Ramp Turbo
« on: 16 Oct 2006, 02:08 am »
Got the Off Ramp Turbo running.  Terrific device: without upsampling (see below), and without being broken in, it matches the performance of my Meridian 800, which upsamples to 24/96, and is overall about the best transport I've ever heard.  With the price taken into account, the Off Ramp clobbers the 800.

Can't run the SRC upsampler, as my tiny laptop (great form factor) doesn't have the horsepower to run the unpsampler, even with everything else turned off ...

So, can anyone recommend a reasonably inexpensive laptop with (a) enough processor to run the SRC code; (b) 250gb hard drive; (c) silent in operation (my work laptop "clicks" frequently as it does disc searches); (d) USB2 connectivity

Suppose longer term it would be nice if it were "Vista ready", but suspect that's going to be a moving target for quite awhile.

Thanks.

audioengr

Re: Laptop for Off Ramp Turbo
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2006, 06:49 pm »
I recently did an hp pavilion 8000 series for a customer and it worked great.  I upgraded it to 2GHZ CPU and 240 Gbytes of disk as well as 2 Gbyte of RAM.  Has a 17" widescreen, which I find invaluable.  Bought it directly from hp website for about $1850.00

Steve N.