Looking for new speakers-interested in the beautfiul SongTowers

trnqk7

I am looking for a new 5 channel setup and while I have a lot of listening left to do, I have been struck by the design of these Song series speakers.  I'm interested most strongly in them and the Dali Ikon series (Ikon 6's l/r, Vokal 2 c, Ikon 1, bl/br).  My question(s) are these:

1)Will my current receiver (Denon 2807) even be able to power these speakers as they are a 4ohm load?  I know it "can" power them, but to a reasonably loud level?  (95dB on my current speakers was more than loud enough it seemed).

And 2) (this is kind of a loaded questions perhaps...) Why should I consider these over the Dali Ikon series if my receiver is able to safely handle them?  The Ikon's blew away B&W 600 series and RBH TK towers with what I would consider respectable, tight bass, great midrange, and very good highs with the dual tweeter design-what would set the Song series apart?

3)Any word on the price of the Song Surrounds yet?  I understand the lack of pictures, but was curious on price-point...

Thanks for the help in advance-I'm just trying to find answers to satisfy my curiosity before I go out and spend $2500-$3000 on speakers ;)

trnqk7

Anyone?

fsimms

I have a panasonic receiver that cost me $250 new.  It runs my HT1's and the SongTowers to loud levels without any problems.  I use it when I am not listening to music as my $3,000 McCormack amp heats up the house.  Of course the McCormack sounds better.  :thumb:

TomS

You might PM "KevinK".  He's tried both a Panny XR and Onkyo 805 with his SongTowers, both with excellent, though different, results.  Tom

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Hi   I doubt that any owners of the ST's have heard the Dali's, so you might not get any replies.  The amplifier issue is a non-issue.  Both speakers present 4-ohm loads, and both are reasonably sensitive and easy to drive.  I haven't had the pleasure of hearing the Dali 6.  All I can do is make a couple of general comments based on the Stereophile measurements for the 6 (http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/706dali/index3.html).   Hopefully, the ST cabinet is not as resonant.  The ST's highs should be somewhat less pronounced, since the 6's shelve up above 9 kHz.  Most speakers have a peak of some kind around 1 kHz, which is certainly the case with the Dali.  I believe the ST is smoother in this range, although I couldn't be sure without having Stereophile test one to make sure our measurements are consistent.  The Dali's appear to be tuned to around 35 Hz, using a conventional ported design, and the woofers are larger.  Therefore, they might play a little lower.  On the other hand, many people prefer the bass quality of a properly implemented transmission line, so I can't predict which you would prefer.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I briefly tried my SongTowers with a Denon 3808ci and it had no issues driving all three of them to HT levels.

I would imagine that you shouldn't have any major issues.

I can't compare the SongTowers to the Dali speakers in terms of sound, but I am very confident in saying that the SongTowers will represent a better value and provide more bang for your buck.

I can highly recommend the SongTowers. 

George

jsalk

trnqk7 -

1)Will my current receiver (Denon 2807) even be able to power these speakers as they are a 4ohm load?  I know it "can" power them, but to a reasonably loud level?  (95dB on my current speakers was more than loud enough it seemed).

At 110 watts per channel, you would have no problem powering the SongTowers.

And 2) (this is kind of a loaded questions perhaps...) Why should I consider these over the Dali Ikon series if my receiver is able to safely handle them?  The Ikon's blew away B&W 600 series and RBH TK towers with what I would consider respectable, tight bass, great midrange, and very good highs with the dual tweeter design-what would set the Song series apart?

Not having heard them, I can't comment on the sound quality of the Dali's.  But I am under the impression they are sold at retail.  If so, the retailer is getting about 40% margin for carrying the brand.  If the SongTowers were sold at retail, they would be about $3000 - 3500.  This may provide at least one basis for a relative comparison. 

We are obviously biased and realize that there are a lot of good speakers on the market in this price range.  But we feel the SongTowers are something very special. 

3)Any word on the price of the Song Surrounds yet?  I understand the lack of pictures, but was curious on price-point...

With the OW1 tweeters, the SongSurrounds will most likely list for $895 per pair or $795 per pair if purchased with a pair of SongTower QWT's.  We'll set the final pricing next week.

- Jim
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2008, 02:09 pm by jsalk »

trnqk7

Thanks for all of the informative replies.  Answered a few of my questions and added a few more, but in a good way.  I have some thinking to do now-thanks again!

ptlurking

All,
New member here...
I will be auditioning a pair of Song Towers today.
I'm very excited...I hope they sound as wonderful as everyone says!

Pete

Big Red Machine

All,
New member here...
I will be auditioning a pair of Song Towers today.
I'm very excited...I hope they sound as wonderful as everyone says!

Pete

Note to Jim:  another order coming your way :wink:

Pete, where do you live?

R Swerdlow

I briefly powered my SongTowers with my Denon AVR-1800 receiver rated 75 wpc at 8 ohms.  The manual said to use 6 ohm or higher impedance speakers.  I only did this for about 10 or 15 minutes, but they did not trigger the overload protection.  I know someone else who uses an Outlaw RR2150 stereo receiver, http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html, 100 wpc at 8 ohms and 160 wpc at 4 ohms, to drive his SongTowers and it also works fine.

I now use an outboard amp (B&K EX4420) and the Denon AVR as a pre-amp with my STs.  The amp is rated at 200 wpc at 8 ohms and 350 at 4 ohms.  Although this may be overkill, the SongTowers easily handle this kind of power.  But the key point I want to make is that although the SongTowers' impedance goes as low as 4 ohms, they do not go any lower.  They seem to be an easy load for most medium to high powered receivers or amps as long as they are stable at that impedance.  There are quite a few speakers sold, whose makers claim a nominal 8 ohm impedance, but in truth go lower than 4 ohms at some point in the audio frequency spectrum.  I think your receiver should work fine with SongTowers.

2) (this is kind of a loaded questions perhaps...) Why should I consider these over the Dali Ikon series if my receiver is able to safely handle them?  The Ikon's blew away B&W 600 series and RBH TK towers with what I would consider respectable, tight bass, great midrange, and very good highs with the dual tweeter design-what would set the Song series apart?

This very afternoon, I will be demoing my SongTowers to someone (Hi Pete) who is bringing his B&W 602s to do a direct comparison.  Maybe there will be some comments afterwards.
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2008, 03:06 pm by R Swerdlow »