Virtue Two.2 and speaker bi-wiring

littletree76

Virtue Two.2 and speaker bi-wiring
« on: 3 Apr 2011, 03:12 pm »
May I know any concern to apply bi-wiring to connect speaker outputs of Virtue Two.2 to a pair of KEF iQ10 speakers on my desk ? For single-wiring, respective positive and negative terminals of both high-frequency and low-frequency inputs of speakers are linked whereas all links are removed for bi-wiring to allow differential inputs for independent high/low frequency inputs of speakers.

Since cable lengths between the Virtue Two.2 and both KEF iQ10 speakers are 1.5 meters, any advantage to use bi-wiring over single-wiring ? Of course with bi-wirng and differential inputs, all noise and interference along the cables are eliminated before signal reach inputs of speakers. The speaker lines run along with other data/power lines on crowded desktop.

Followings are audio setup for my iMac computer:

21.5" Core i5 iMac [USB 2.0]
-> HiFace Evo USB-to-SPDIF converter [BNC]
-> Benchmark DAC1 [fixed level RCA]
-> Virtue Two.2 (full range bass and volume pot enabled)
-> bi-wiring or single-wiring ?
-> KEF iQ10 speakers (aluminum 0.75" tweeter / 5.25" woofer in Uni-Q configuration)
« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2011, 02:34 am by littletree76 »

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
Re: Virtue Two.2 and speaker bi-wiring
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2011, 05:08 pm »
I dont bi-wire but I also dont use the crappy brass jumpers that come with speaker terminal plates.
those flat steel factory jumpers destroy the sound quality so if your stuck using them instead of decent jumpers (yes I can build them for you) then hook the speaker wire from your amp to the top set of posts (the tweeter) so you dont loose detail through those cheap jumpers.
I have tried True bi-wiring, single bi-wiring and shotgunning. i'm back to single wire with my Virtue Nirvana jumpers.
however the shotgunned cables look cool as hell :)

doorman

« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2011, 05:43 pm »
At the risk of starting a war, any of the speakers I've owned in the past, with bi-wiring provision, didn't benefit at all IMHO by doing so.
Maybe it was the speakers, then again-----

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 2011, 08:02 pm »
I agree 90% of the time.
I have heard differences in some of the speakers I've built but it depends on the parts & wire used inside the speakers, still the difference is minimal.
some people hear a huge difference, apparently my ear isn't that good and I dint have enough $ invested  in my system ?
who knows.

littletree76

« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2011, 02:15 am »
Thank you for your quick responses.

I made a mistake in my initial post (mistake corrected), the speaker model used for my iMac computer should be KEF iQ10 instead of its big brother KEF iQ30. I like this series of speakers because of its Uni-Q configuration (for better sound stage) and clear, clean and neutral sound signature with high-end frequency response extended all the way to 40kHz. Specifications can be found in following KEF website: http://www.kef.com/en/loudspeakers/q-series/iq10

Yes most jumpers used in my previous speakers are crappy mental strips, Klipsch RB-61 with soft/thin brass jumpers and Mordaunt-Short Mezzo with curvy steel jumpers. But those provided by KEF are slivery multi-strand short cables (made of silver ?) which I suppose have better construction than those crappy ones. I do believe that any conducting material used in analog signal path (in this case) does make a difference regardless of length (3-inche jumper in this case). Look like I have to open up the speakers and also upgrade all internal wiring with perhaps JenaWire multi-strand cables ?