The Absolute Sound Likes what We are Doing!

avahifi

The Absolute Sound Likes what We are Doing!
« on: 8 Oct 2010, 07:16 pm »
The Absolute Sound, Issue #207, Spring 2011 Buyers Guide, really treats us well:

A new half-page very positive mini-review of our Ultravalve amplifier, along with a big photo.

Very positive comments about our Transcendence Eight+ vacuum tube preamp, along with a big photo.

Another nice feature photo of our Ultravalve vacuum tube amplifier on the High End Amplifier first page, along with the real expensive stuff.

A bit further in is information about our new AvaStar hybrid preamp and Vision DAC/Preamp too.

All and all, as good as it gets.  I am happy today.   :)

You can hear it all at room 2000 at the RMAF, I hope we see you there.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

P.S. Too new for a mention by the TAS press date is another awesome new AVA product, the Vision Hybrid DAC.  This beauty finally probably makes vinyl obsolete.  Hear it at RMAF too.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: The Absolute Sound Likes what We are Doing!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2010, 07:23 pm »
P.S. Too new for a mention by the TAS press date is another awesome new AVA product, the Vision Hybrid DAC.  This beauty finally probably makes vinyl obsolete.  Hear it at RMAF too.

My DAC did that for me years ago...   :thumb:

martyo

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2010, 07:58 pm »
Thats great. :thumb:

You deserve it. 8)

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2010, 09:09 pm »
Hi Frank,I just got my Absolute Sound in the mail before I even read your post.That was a great full page ad,I think a first for you.I saw your tube amp and preamp get fantastic writeups specially in the back page where the Ultravalve was named in the 30 greatest bargins in (High End) audio.It's kind of like Pete Rose finally getting into the Hall of Fame,even though you didn't cheat by buying advertising all these years like almost all audio manifactures,the Fame came to you....Great Job......sincerely..Mark K.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2010, 10:16 pm »
Great News Frank..

Congratulations on the good press.

I REALLY LIKE MY ULTRAVALVE AMP...

One of these days when the piggy bank gets full I will get a DAC from AVA!

All the best

Alex

:banana piano: :beer: :violin: :drums: :guitar: :rock: :bounce: :dance: :jester: :wine:

rcag_ils

« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2010, 11:29 am »
Congrats, well deserved, Frank.

But I still don't think even the best DAC in the world could make the vinyl obsolete, unless they can make CDs sound like vinyl records.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2010, 12:50 pm »
If that DAC is playing 24/96 files then it does make vinyl obsolete, at least in my eyes (or to my ears)
 :D

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2010, 01:58 pm »
 Cool. Have been an avid fan of TAS since issue #2. Best of luck. Nice to hear some good news for a change.

charles

rcag_ils

« Reply #8 on: 9 Oct 2010, 02:56 pm »
If that DAC is playing 24/96 files then it does make vinyl obsolete

24/96 files = vinyl? Maybe a hearing check might help.

Brett Buck

« Reply #9 on: 9 Oct 2010, 03:59 pm »
24/96 files = vinyl? Maybe a hearing check might help.

Absolutely. Vinyl was obsolete, from a high fidelity standpoint, in 1985.

Brett

rcag_ils

« Reply #10 on: 9 Oct 2010, 04:09 pm »
from a high fidelity standpoint, in 1985

Hmmm....let's see, the first CD player came out in 1979, CD players stayed pretty much low end until maybe 1992, about the time when Frank started making DAC (good stuff) by the way....manufacturers struggled to make digital to sound like vinyl......even today, their favorite line is our CD players sound almost like vinyl.....now Frank said "This beauty finally probably makes vinyl obsolete." See the word "probably" but not quite. Not knocking Frank in any way, I am the proud owner of two of Frank's DACs, Ultra, and Omega. I think I like digital going through a good DAC, but vinyl always sound better.

So what are you talking about? "pops and clicks" again?

trebejo

« Reply #11 on: 9 Oct 2010, 07:02 pm »
Well, snap crackle pop sure is a pain. There is also cost of maintenance of a large collection, and inconvenience of having to flip over the record every 20 minutes, and the whole ritual of getting a record out, etc.

The theorem that says that you can get all the info up to N hertz with a sampling rate slightly over 2N hertz is fine, too. Fourier theory is fine, too.

There remains the issue of implementation. That's where the devil has his little shack.  :icon_twisted:

Now Frank claims that he has found a silicon sword to slay this evil dragon, and who the heck am I to say he's lying? Well, maybe he's doing a little marketing speak, but really it's just a little itty teeny bit of that and I think we can cut him some slack because, in the end, it seems to be informed by the bigger picture.

What's that bigger picture that I'm referring to, you ask? (You did ask, didn't you??). Ok, let me flesh that out.

If you absolutely, positively cannot stand the idea of having a silicon transistor in your signal path, then, true, vinyl will give you a way to avoid that problem. You must put that problem on one side of the scale, and consider the imperfections associated with capturing a sonic waveform and etching it onto a master platter which is then pressed in an industrial process onto thousands of vinyl platters, which is then transported (hopefully sans heat) to the record store, which is then transported (once again, sans heat) into your living room shelves. After you've dealt with all those considerations, we proceed to the aforementioned snap crackle pop headaches; to which we must add the engineering challenges associated with getting an eety bitty teeny tiny little stick to, say, oscillate a magnet inside a coil, out of which must come 10 electronic octaves of music with perfect accuracy.

And finally, vinyl was a fluid the last time I checked (which was quite a while ago) and back in the day we worried about records warping if they sat vertically on a shelf for decades, and of course a worse fate if you stacked them horizontally. Might be a false myth, but you gotta worry about it.

Now before you object that CDs have their physical issues as well, may I remind you that we are talking about 0s and 1s and plastic CDs are but one way to transfer them; nowadays all my 0s and 1s are on double-backups on hard drives and I'm pretty sure that they'll survive with full integrity longer than I will.

So I'd say that the obsolence of vinyl in hifi is a valid assertion. There can be exceptions, but they are expensive and time consuming, and if we do a proper cost-benefit analysis then the next step is almost certainly not to transition back to vinyl, but rather to donate to your local symphony, jazz clubs, and music academies.

So it's fine if you want to work harder to get better sound! But please consider putting that additional hard work into the pocket of working musicians and concert hall workers first, and record-company executives and lawyers last.

trebejo

« Reply #12 on: 9 Oct 2010, 07:14 pm »
PS: Dammit, we're hijacking Frank's thread and I'm guilty of it too.  :duh:

Frank, congrats! Wish I was there to see your new goodies...

Brett Buck

« Reply #13 on: 9 Oct 2010, 07:37 pm »
Hmmm....let's see, the first CD player came out in 1979, CD players stayed pretty much low end until maybe 1992, about the time when Frank started making DAC (good stuff) by the way....manufacturers struggled to make digital to sound like vinyl......even today, their favorite line is our CD players sound almost like vinyl.....now Frank said "This beauty finally probably makes vinyl obsolete." See the word "probably" but not quite. Not knocking Frank in any way, I am the proud owner of two of Frank's DACs, Ultra, and Omega. I think I like digital going through a good DAC, but vinyl always sound better.

Pops, clicks, grotesque distortions, that sort of thing. The reproduction of sound with a minimum of distortion. I can't address " I like it because it makes me happy".

Brett

gregmav

« Reply #14 on: 9 Oct 2010, 07:55 pm »

The first CD player came out in 1979???????

Did I miss something?  I thought it was around October of 1982?   :?

avahifi

« Reply #15 on: 9 Oct 2010, 07:59 pm »
What I am suggesting is that our new Vision Hybrid DAC will deliver the intangible emotional involvement into the musical performance that has until now been only reserved to vinyl.

We can't measure it, but we do have a very good idea as to what our electrical engineering efforts were to get it.

It is not only the new Vision Hybrid DAC, it also took more work on our best preamplifiers and power amplifiers too.  All work together to present you with a really wonderful listening experience.

Hear the system at room 2000 at the RMAF.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

rcag_ils

« Reply #16 on: 9 Oct 2010, 08:06 pm »
Well, snap crackle pop sure is a pain. There is also cost of maintenance of a large collection, and inconvenience of having to flip over the record every 20 minutes, and the whole ritual of getting a record out, etc.

Pops, clicks, grotesque distortions, that sort of thing.

As far as the vinyl's "pops and clicks" argument, it's probably one of the oldest come-back line from the CD guys. When you go to a live concert, is the environment at the concert hall, or stadium totally dead silent? NO. Do you still enjoy the music and performance? YES. Would you still enjoy the concert when the people sitting behind you just keep talking and would not shut up? Probably not, or maybe. So if the "pops and clicks" on the vinyl are not excessive (I am sure the vinyl guys wouldn't have any of those), vinyl records are still more enjoyable than CD with the properly set up equipment. If you have excessive "pops and clicks" on your record, then it's a bad record, and should be thrown away.

Whatever that makes you happy, that's all it counts. I've handled records for years no differently than anyone else, except maybe more carefully than some, and I've had no problem. So the vinyl manufacturing and transportation process must have worked. I don't do stupid things like leaving vinyl records out in the sun on a hot day, just clean them and play them. If that bothers you, then vinyl is not for you, and it has nothing to do with the musical quality between the two.

When I get lazy, that's when I put the CDs in, and listen to them through the Ultra DAC, or the Omega DAC, I bought two DACs, just so I can hear the differences. They are good, but nowhere near to make my vinyl obsolete. I still find listening to vinyl records more satisfying. Don't get me wrong, Frank's DACs do make CD sound better, but vinyl records just have better musical quality, even I have to take them in and out the jackets, clean them, get up every 20 min or so to flip them over. I don't have that many warpped records, some people have records from the 1940's and they still play just fine.

Basically, you guys are just saying, "My DAC make your vinyl records obsolete, because I am too lazy to clean my records, too lazy to adjust my record player, or I am just too busy." Well think about it, what does it have anything to do with musical quality?

PS, I have not listened to Frank's latest DAC, but all I am saying is for it to make vinyl records obsolete is not likely. Music is analog.

rcag_ils

« Reply #17 on: 9 Oct 2010, 08:12 pm »
The first CD player came out in 1979???????

I am going by memory only, I seem to remember seeing a Technics vertical CD player in the fall of 1979, might have been in 1980 at a local stereo store , if I am not mistaken, I think Technics delivered the first CD player, anyway, it was a vertical player. I'll dig through my old Technics catalogs to confirm it.

roscoeiii

« Reply #18 on: 9 Oct 2010, 08:34 pm »
And where might we be able to get more info on the Vision Hybrid DAC?

Didn't see any info on the webpage.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #19 on: 11 Oct 2010, 02:13 am »
Frank's T8+ preamp is the real winner in all this. :thumb: And I own one. :thumb: I'll be calling all my buddies with their expenso preamps to point out the back page 30 Greatest Bargains in HIGH-END Audio list. Guys read um and weap. :lol:

See you guys in 5 days :hyper: I can't wait!

Neal :wave: