For Audio by Van Alstine owners...............................

Wayner

What single tune could you offer up as a great demonstration song to impress you friends listening to your new Audio by Van Alstine equipment. (CD or vinyl) please specify which medium.

I'll start: This is really tuff, but tonight it's on vinyl. Andreas Vollenwieder - The White Winds, The White Boat, Hall of Stairs, Halls of Mosaic (Meeting you) The Glass Hall (Chose the Crystal). Yes, that is one song. 1984 CBS records, recorded DIGITALLY then put on vinyl........SHAME ON ME!!!!!!!!!

That's my choice.

Wayner  aa

clipped

Track 6 , "Hell Freezes Over" , Eagles. Hotel California.

I listened to it at Frank's with a buddy of mine and Frank actually wanted to see the disc. I guess he liked it , or maybe it was the cat :lol:

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
"Down to the Nightclub", Tower of Power, Bump City (vinyl).

Actually, unless I was demonstrating the DAC, any demonstration track would be on vinyl.
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2009, 02:00 am by oneinthepipe »

WGH

It's all vinyl for me:

For the jazz lover: "Saguaro", Ron Carter Quartet, Piccolo - great sonics in a live setting.

For the Rocker: "Ride Across the River, Dire Straits, Brother in Arms - well recorded with terrific separation, each instrument has its own space

For the Chicks: "Hard to Thrill", JJ Cale & Eric Clapton, The Road to Escondido - mellow, accessible, impeccable sound.

Just for Fun: "La Habanera", Yello, Yello One Second - Dynamic! This album is recorded at a low level so turn those AVA pre-amps up to 12:00 and wait for the drums and bass, your windows should rattle.

OK - one CD:

Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong, Ella and Louis - Every song is special. The sound of this 1956 studio album is perfect, you can tell both Ella and Louis had a great time making this recording. It is impossible to listen to just one cut.

Wayne

boead

"Down to the Nightclub", Tower of Power, Bump City (vinyl).

bump-ty, bump-ty, bump'  8)

rockadanny

(All CDs ...)
(Sorry, I broke the one-track rule already. I could never choose just one track for anything.)

Diana Krall - Live in Paris - track: A Case of You
Rahsaan Roland Kirk - The Inflated Tear - track: A Laugh for Rory
Art Pepper - Art Pepper + 11 - track: Move
Weather Report - Black Market - track: Black Market
Terje Rypdal - Chaser - track: Chaser
Adrian Belew - Side Three - track: Troubles

(That's as close to one track I could get. AVA is just too good for only one track!!)

sueata1

Remastered CD's
Michael Jackson,,,,Thriller,,,,,Billy Jean,Thriller
Bob Marley,,,Most any but Exodus is special
Lou Reed,,,New York,,,
Too many to list but this is a good start,,,

Happy listening,,,
Mel

martyo

DVD in 2 channel: Diana Krall Live at the Montreal Jazz Festival (Also available on CD)

Cuts 1-2-3;

Sometimes I Just Freak Out-->All Or Nothing At All-->Stop This World  aa  8)

turkey

One disc I use for comparisons is: Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue; An American in Paris by the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra on Telarc.

I generally use just Rhapsody in Blue, although An America in Paris is nice too.

jrtrent

What single tune could you offer up as a great demonstration song to impress you friends listening to your new Audio by Van Alstine equipment. (CD or vinyl) please specify which medium.

There is always a context to these things--my friends would know the strengths and limitations of my pre-AVA system, which was strong on tunefulness, pace, rhythmic coherence, and dynamics, but weak in instrument localization, soundstage depth, and transparency.  To demonstrate the difference, I'd select the opening Andante from Mozart's Notturno for 4 Orchestras (London Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Peter Maag, on a London lp).  The placement/distance/space among and between the main and echoing orchestras is more plainly revealed by the AVA electronics and adds to the listening experience.

Zheeeem

Probably Furtwangler's 1942 version of Beethoven's 9th symphony.  It is a magnificent performance and highly evocative, and all of this comes through brilliantly despite the less than perfect recording.

If the speakers are up to the task, then some Telarc Bach organ music, Like Michael Murray's performance of Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor from The Great Organ at Methuen.

For "world" music, again with speakers that are up to it, Baile de Almut from Radio Tarifa's album Temporal.

All on CD.

stereocilia

Track 6 , "Hell Freezes Over" , Eagles. Hotel California.

I listened to it at Frank's with a buddy of mine and Frank actually wanted to see the disc. I guess he liked it , or maybe it was the cat :lol:

A friend of mine always listens to this one when evaluating a system; he points out that the percussion at the beginning is really useful for judging bass accuracy -- makes sense to me.

ricmon

Vinyl recommendations:

Frank Zappa Sheik Yerbouti
          Yo' Mama [Live] , Rat Tomago [Live][Instrumental] these track are true audiophile quality.  If you haven't head this album you should...........amazing sonics.........sounds very,very live.  :thumb: :thumb:

Artist:  Earth, Wind & Fire
Album:  Last Days and Time
Year:  1972
Remember the Children .................this track has searing horns a lot of energy and dynamics  packed in those grooves. 

Sit back and turn up the volume and let the fun begin.

ricmon

OK - one CD:

Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong, Ella and Louis - Every song is special. The sound of this 1956 studio album is perfect, you can tell both Ella and Louis had a great time making this recording. It is impossible to listen to just one cut.

Wayne

Wayne this recording is very dear to me.  I got it on cd first but now I only play the vinyl version.  Also this is the one album that makes me miss my Ultra 550.  The vocals through the 550 were magic.       

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Frank Zappa Sheik Yerbouti
          Yo' Mama [Live] If you haven't head this album you should...........amazing sonics.........sounds very,very live.  :thumb: :thumb:

Truly one of the best live recordings ever produced. :thumb:  Man, Frank got it. He obviously knew how to control the mastering process to ensure an uncompressed sound, even back then.

Another Frank sure knows how to take advantage of this fact and make it sound like it was intended to sound. :thumb:

For me, the one single song is Keith Don't Go on the "Live Acoustic" album by Nils Lofgren. Just a great recording and production. This is just one guy on stage playing a great tune. You can actually "hear" the crowd sitting there with their mouths hanging open. A must to turn up a bit and friends go "Wow."

Have fun,
Jerry

rockadanny

I just gotta add one more very impressive, electrifying track which never fails to give me goose-bumps powered by AVA ...

Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin, Paco DeLucia - Friday Night in San Francisco - track: Mediterranean Sundance / Rio Ancho.  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
CDs, don't have the TT up & running yet, & like rdanny more than 1, cause 1 is the loneliest number.

John Abercrombie: Timeless, title cut

Terje Rypdal: After The Rain, title cut, though whole cd/album is outstanding imaging.

I have the vinyl on both and am looking forward to re-acquainting with the originals hopefully in the not too distant future.   :thumb:

Ten Years After: A Space in Time - I'd Love to Change the World

Traffic: Low Spark of High Heeled Boys, title cut

orientalexpress

Alison Krause -greatest hit-first 3 tracks,and the duet with Tim Mcgraw
Rodrigo Gabriela-track #6 stairway to heaven,#7 Orion

lapsan

charmerci

CD- Dave Grusin's Discovered Again -

Cripple Creek Breakdown
Sun Song
Keep Your Eye on the Sparrow

This CD was originally recorded direct-to-disc to the metal master. (I assume the CD recording came from a master reel-to-reel tape at the original session.) My old Sheffield Lab CD has a high level of background hiss (there have been subsequent releases since mine, none of which I have heard) but outside of that, the soundstage is incredible. Every instrument sounds exactly like it should. The drums, bass, piano, guitar and percussion sound like they are in YOUR room with you.

orthobiz

CD- Dave Grusin's Discovered Again -

This CD was originally recorded direct-to-disc to the metal master.

I'm not home so I can't check, but I'm just about positive these guys played live-in-studio right into the record cutting lathe, I'm not sure the tape was involved. Agree with the great sound!

Paul