T8 or Ultra with U70's

rlee8394

T8 or Ultra with U70's
« on: 1 Apr 2007, 05:02 am »
Frank,
Since I intend to use my two Ultra 70's bridged with an original Fet-Valve bridge for power amplification for the foreseeable future, would one be able to realize the improvement of using an Ultra preamp over the T8? Or would the T8 be best through the U70's? I guess what I'm asking is would the U70's mask the benefits provided by the Ultra preamp? I also intend on replacing my Omega IV DAC with an Ultra DAC after the preamp upgrade, followed by upgrading to the Ultra Bridge. Group, feel free to chime in with your opinions!
Thanks.

martyo

Re: T8 or Ultra with U70's
« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2007, 12:06 pm »
Good Morning,
I have a T8 and 550 on order and I was getting a little anxious that I settled for 2nd best. Back in the "T8" thread Frank describes both preamps and a couple of other Audio Circle members that were at RMAF where they heard both preamps describe their differences very similar to Frank. Also at RMAF, before they swapped out the Ultra and T8 on the flagship Salk's, they had the T8 paired with the U70 driving Salk's #2 speakers. IMHO upgrading to the Ultra DAC would be an upgrade where T8 to Ultra would be like changing a NY steak for a Ribeye, more of a personal taste between two excellent items. I have to go eat some breakfast now, suddenly I'm very hungry.

rlee8394

« Reply #2 on: 1 Apr 2007, 07:37 pm »
Guys,
Thanks for your input. You both make good points. The reason I posted this directly to Frank is because obviously he is more intimately familiar with each piece of equipment. In any event, either would surely be an improvement over my original Fet-Valve SL. I still want a phono section, so maybe the T8 would be the best bang for the buck in this case. Thanks again.

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2007, 07:48 pm »
I'm listening to my T8 right now. Talking Heads, Naked is the album. This preamp makes vinyl sound damn good. I'm going to Frank's factory on Friday for the tube upgrade! You will like yours! Besides that, Frank has a great return policy. I own the T8 and just had my OmegaStar upgraded. The OmegaStar is no slouch either.

W  aa