Transcendence 8 (T8)

avahifi

Re: Transcendence 8 (T8)
« Reply #20 on: 8 Mar 2007, 01:30 pm »
The new T8 (and Ultra SL and EC) mother boards, equipped with up to eight high voltage active regulators (one for each half of each tube), a full groundplane layout, and all that good stuff, are simply too big to fit into the previous generation small chassis (12" x 3.5" x 11.5" deep).

The best we can do in the small chassis is a used T7 SLR hybrid or first generation T8 tube unit with one active high voltage regulator.  Both are really nice and appear used in the $600 - $800 price range when available.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

jrebman

« Reply #21 on: 8 Mar 2007, 06:12 pm »
Thanks, Frank.  I'm going to go back to the drawing board and see if there isn't a way to stack the T8 with my Denon 2910 -- no, not directly on top of each other but rather with a a short, sturdy maple platform with built-in legs straddling the Denon and the T8 on top.  Gotta go and make some measurements...

martyo

« Reply #22 on: 8 Mar 2007, 09:53 pm »
Frank,

Kinda funny that for so long you were asked to put everthing in a bigger chassis, eventually you did, and now someone is asking for a smaller one. It sure keeps it interesting!

rlee8394

« Reply #23 on: 9 Mar 2007, 09:49 pm »
jrebman,
That Denon 2910 should be able to support the T8 no problem.

jrebman

« Reply #24 on: 9 Mar 2007, 10:48 pm »
Ron,

I'm sure it will, but I just don't like putting audio components on top of each other.  Too many problems with vibration, potential for stray magnetic fields from one unit bleeding into critical gain components in the other, etc.

Anyway, there is still a lot to consider before I make any changes, if I even decide to do it.  Just checking out possibilities right now.

-- Jim

jrebman,
That Denon 2910 should be able to support the T8 no problem.

Toka

« Reply #25 on: 14 Mar 2007, 06:55 pm »
Man, reading these threads is like standing downwind of a barbeque when you haven't eaten in days.  :drool: I like to torture myself, I guess. Motivation to save money if nothing else.  8)

weirdo

« Reply #26 on: 14 Mar 2007, 08:02 pm »
how can I get a 1,700 purchase under the radar?   Hmmmmmm.

Wayner

« Reply #27 on: 14 Mar 2007, 09:41 pm »
Promise her (and do it) that you will do things like housework; i.e. vacuuming, dusting, cleaning the bathrooms, things like that. You might even try to get good at the laundry. I would also try buttering her up with a few nights on the town. get her loosened up with a little vino, to put her in a good mood, then while showing her the new diamond earings you got her, I would ask if a T8 is O.K. She may fall for it and then your in man.

Good luck  aa

dB Cooper

« Reply #28 on: 14 Mar 2007, 11:18 pm »
Get on your knees and....  aa

...beg  :roll:

Charles Calkins

« Reply #29 on: 14 Mar 2007, 11:38 pm »
Just get rid of her!!!!

Cheers
                                    Charlie

dguev

« Reply #30 on: 15 Mar 2007, 04:55 am »
Disable your old preamp so it need repair. Box it up and tell your wife you'll send it to AVA for "repair". Have Frank "transform" it to a new T8. When you get it back, unbox it then tell your wife you just got it fixed.

ricmon

« Reply #31 on: 15 Mar 2007, 07:36 pm »
I wonder how the new T8 sounds compare to the old TR7?  Anybody had a chance to comapre the two units?

Airheads4Ever

« Reply #32 on: 15 Mar 2007, 08:20 pm »
how can I get a 1,700 purchase under the radar?   Hmmmmmm.

There's always the theory that it's easier to get forgiveness than permission.

avahifi

« Reply #33 on: 15 Mar 2007, 09:40 pm »
The new T8 is a lot better than the old T7 hybrid, and "different" than the new Ultra hybrids.  It is really hard to explain the difference between the T8 and the Ultra.  The T8 plays bigger, a bit softer, and with a very tiny bit of "tube" midrange.  Many people will like this best.  The Ultra has more focus, resolves into things a bit better, has no tube sound at all, is a bit more dynamic (both are VERY dynamic) and is probably more true to the actual recordings.  Many people with like this better.  :)

The Ultra has a low (560 ohm) output impedance and very high output drive current, so can drive low impedance loads and long cable runs better.  If this is an issue (the T8 is designed to be flat into a 10K input impedance in parallel with 1000 pF - a very nasty load) then the Ultra is the better choice.  For normal cables and amplifiers, either will work really well.

The T8 costs less (base price $1099) vs: $1449 for the Ultra.

You guys figure it out.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

martyo

« Reply #34 on: 15 Mar 2007, 10:58 pm »
Thanks Frank.
With my T8 and 550 still 4-6weeks away, I find myself rereading your descriptions on the AVA site. After awhile I was getting a little anxious thinking I might be just settling for 2nd best. I PMed a fellow AudioCircle member who gave us his take from the RMAF on a thread after the show. After his very articulated description of the two preamps and their differences and now yours, I know I have made the right choice for me. I really think it would be hard to make a wrong choice in this situation.
Both of your descriptions were very similar. I'm still pretty anxious, but it's a positive anxious!!!!

Thanks,
Marty :drool: :drool: :drool:

Listens2tubes

« Reply #35 on: 29 Mar 2007, 11:13 pm »
Frank,
        How about an outboard power supply with the eight regulators that don't fit the 12" case.  :drool: A kit or maybe a board layout drawing with instructions. Can you take the schematic and separate the power circuit or regulation?

avahifi

« Reply #36 on: 30 Mar 2007, 12:21 am »
Oh dear, outboard power supplies result in long wires and excessive lead inductance.  This causes unforseen RC underdamped resonances and nasty things to happen to the audio.  We want to keep supply paths as short as possible and shielded.  An outboard power supply does not allow this.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine