compatibility of AVA amps with a Linn AV 5103

mrhighnotes

compatibility of AVA amps with a Linn AV 5103
« on: 13 Feb 2007, 05:18 am »
I have considered mixing the two to save on costs of amps. Any experiences that may help my decisions?

Linn AV5103
AVA Omegastar 240/3EX and 240EX
5.1 system.

avahifi

• Facilitator
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Re: compatibility of AVA amps with a Linn AV 5103
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2007, 02:50 pm »
The five channel amplifier configuration you ask about, (stereo OmegaStar 240EX plus three channel OmegaStar 240/3EX) should work just fine with your Linn processor.  The amplifiers are easy to drive, are very very quiet, and will power all but the most inefficient loudspeakers with great musicality and no grain or glare.  You can stack the two amplifiers (3 channel unit on top).

In looking at one Linn review, http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/PowerAmps/Linn/LinnAV5103AV5125.php
 I did notice the reviewer said there was a bad "thump" through the speakers with one configuration of equipment.  He did not go into detail.

If the thump is an on or off transient generated by the Linn, they you will need to follow the "golden rule" of using audio equipment - - - namely all source equipment on first, then wait a few seconds, and power amplifiers on last.  This will prevent any source on-transient problems from reaching the speakers.  At turn off, reverse the process, power amplifiers off first, wait until the sound dies out, and then the source units, including the processor, off last.

This is true with any amplifiers used with any source unit (preamp, processor, etc.) not just with AVA amplifiers.

Note that new AVA preamplifiers and DACs are designed to protect the speakers.  They have a time delay relay that keeps the outputs disconnected from the amplifiers until the preamp circuits have turned on and stabilized.  The relay also provides an "instant off" so that any off-transients are also protected against.  Thus you can turn the system on or off in any order, or all at the same time, without risking damage.  Note too that the relay is not in the signal path.  It simply shunts the output signal to ground when energized and is out of the signal path when the equipment is playing.

I hate to tell you this, but we are simply swamped with orders right now, the word is really getting around about out new generation products.  The lead time is six weeks now.  However, with credit card orders, we do not charge out you Visa or Mastercard until the equipment is ready to ship.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine