OmegaStar EX Integrated Control Amplifer

kbuzz3

Someone please buy this and report back
« Reply #20 on: 11 Feb 2007, 05:07 pm »
Sorry but i really want to hear this thing, and ive already been the guinea pig on a bunch of other stuff (eg rwa sig 30s, oppo mods....etc)

ive admired ava products for a long long time but have yet to pull the trigger.

WEEZ

Re: OmegaStar EX Integrated Control Amplifer
« Reply #21 on: 12 Feb 2007, 01:54 am »
Frank, that is one neat little package.

weirdo

« Reply #22 on: 13 Feb 2007, 04:15 pm »

Looks very nice, best of luck with it. I hope you get reviewed in all the popular mags. At some point, we all need to coordinate resources and downsize the sheer number of hi-fi components we have. The integrated will help in that area. 

kbuzz3

current lead time to order one?
« Reply #23 on: 17 Feb 2007, 02:37 pm »
Anyone have any idea what the current time to get one after ordering. Dont want to  bother mr ava with minor questions

mark funk

« Reply #24 on: 17 Feb 2007, 02:49 pm »
Hello, I think right now it will take about six weeks.( They must build it for you! ) Well worth the wait and when it comes you well be vary happy:smoke:

avahifi

« Reply #25 on: 17 Feb 2007, 02:57 pm »
First of all, I am never bothered with "minor questions."  Your questions are important to you and I will try and answer each as carefully as possible.  Its what I do.  :)

Lead time right now is 6-8 weeks.   :o

Orders are running at double the rate of normal.  I don't know why for sure, but all the planets and moons seem to be lined up right for us right now.

Remember on a Visa or MC order, we do not charge your card out until we are ready to ship.  So the way to get something soonest is to order it right now.  :)

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

avadoro

« Reply #26 on: 17 Feb 2007, 03:22 pm »
It looks like a sensational prduct.
Very nice!!!

Is it possible to have it with silver faceplate?

modular747

« Reply #27 on: 17 Feb 2007, 06:04 pm »
Orders are running at double the rate of normal.  I don't know why for sure, but all the planets and moons seem to be lined up right for us right now.

Maybe it's that more and more are getting tired of all the BS out there and realizing that they can get the best at a fair and reasonable price.  No need to hire an astrologer to plan your production schedule.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #28 on: 18 Feb 2007, 04:30 pm »
To answer BrianM's question, "what are you giving up?"

You are giving up about 30 watts per channel in power 90W vs: 120W for the OmegaStar 240EX amp because we cannot cram any bigger power transformer in this package.  You are also giving up upgrade flexibility because you have two components (preamp and amp) in one package and cannot upgrade one or the other in the future separately - - -  if you want more power later, you have to replace the whole thing.

It probably also has a better "wife factor"  :)

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

If it can't be upgraded why is there no model name on the face plate :dunno:

It would have better "wife factor" if it had a champagne color face :deadhorse:

avahifi

« Reply #29 on: 18 Feb 2007, 05:19 pm »
"Wife factor" would be whatever color your wife likes best.  Ever noticed the choices in colors for any woman's things?  How many hundred faceplate options should we offer?

Upgraded, no model name on faceplate?  That means a new model name of faceplate any time we do upgrade, learned not to do that a long time ago.  I simply meant that to upgrade either the amp or the preamp section you have to send us or replace the complete unit, not just an amp or preamp as the case may be.  Simply less future flexibility.

Frank

rlee8394

« Reply #30 on: 18 Feb 2007, 09:17 pm »
Black goes with everything, is the most inconspicuous and unassuming of colors for a piece of electronics

Not to mention the most formal color. BrianM is correct and I agree, it doesn't matter the color. If you really need silver, champagne, pumpkin, Prince purple, or whatever in order to pull the trigger on ordering one, ask Frank to send you the spec's for the faceplate, for a $100 premium of course, and have Front Panel Express (http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/) carve you one.

kbuzz3

« Reply #31 on: 19 Feb 2007, 08:36 pm »
I respectfully disagree with the WAF thing.  Here are some unimportant but hopefully amusing points :

1) Wives dont give a @#$% about the color of a faceplate, only whether the gear is taking up space in the room or is too complicated to play a dvd for themselves or the kiddies when MR. audiophile is not around

2) Whether you want to admit or not, even the purist audiophile out there is somewhat influenced by the look of the equipment.  I, like most of you have owned a lot of gear.  I will readily admit that I have purchased some of it on looks as the deciding factor on gear--of course only after i have confirmed sonics. I have also bought very relartively inexpensive and ugly gear becasue the sound is so good (see restored classic sherwood integrateds). See PS below

3) A silver faceplate will increase AVA sales. I am, of course speculating here but im sure there are others who have not purchased ava gear based on looks.

4) maybe its possible that Frank--who I dont know at all-- likes his businesss the way it is.  That is selling alot of gear as is whilst keeping it personal.  Maybe its possible he does not want to offer a silver faceplate becasue he will need to expand,  costs workforce service etc. etc.

5) im not asking frank to stock all different color faceplates, just a silver option.  Would it be that expensive from a manufacturing end to stock two colors?

PS Ok now that i have vented. Should I buy the AVA integrated or a blue circle CS - which both cost about the same and both have an approx. 8 week waiting list.  The Blue circle is available in differnet color face plates and different color wooden knobs......but AVA has a 30 year tradition that IMHO (being around the audio game alot) has not been equalled in value per cost. Plus its made in the USA

BradJudy

« Reply #32 on: 19 Feb 2007, 08:48 pm »
It sounds like you've narrowed it down to two excellent options.  Both companies are very reputable (30 years/USA vs 15 years/Canada doesn't make much difference to me) and have a good product and service track records (from what I've seen).  I missed the chance to meet Gilbert at the RMAF, but I did meet Frank and (like many) enjoyed his no non-sense approach to his products. 

On a pure "speeds and feeds" level, you get more power and more input/output options with Frank's product. 

You can always replace knobs yourself. 

elcaptain88

« Reply #33 on: 20 Feb 2007, 01:42 am »
Regardless of color - AVA's stuff looks much better in person than the web photos, especially on the AVA website, would indicate. Just as nice as Bryston, etc. IMO. I'm a fan of black - so I'm happy.  :)

CE2

« Reply #34 on: 20 Feb 2007, 11:48 am »
 :roll: Lotsa companies have the one color, for decades.  McIntosh has been  blue meter  lights, green McIntosh logo, black face for what ,50+ years, it's their color.  RANE is black, with an optional...no BLACK.  HHB has been PURPLE CD recorders since day one. Tascam offers no options.  Most of these companies like AVA sell what the product does on the inside,  produce great sound and last forever.   Lotsa' fluff makers have all kinds of sculptured panels, and cases, then ya open up the cases, and theres nothing good inside. And ya paid a mighty premium for all that art work, with no benefit to the sound.  Simple cases for superb innards.  When I am listening to my stuff I ain't even looking at the electronics, I'm listening. 

pman

« Reply #35 on: 20 Feb 2007, 04:24 pm »
...have Front Panel Express (http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/) carve you one.

Is it just me, or is the way that Front Panel Express does labels really and truly ulgy? Reminds me of the 1960's PA equipment from high school.

BradJudy

« Reply #36 on: 20 Feb 2007, 06:24 pm »
pman - their work actually looks quite good.  It depends on picking a decent font and color combination - like most things, you can make it ugly if you want.  Take a look at some other examples from Head-Fi (last one is one of my amps):

http://photo.head-fi.org/data/500/Edwood_BelCantoDAC2_FPE_02.jpg

http://members.cox.net/juergen99/DSC01047a.jpg

http://www.bradjudy.com/pics/head-fi/PPA_2.JPG

rlee8394

« Reply #37 on: 20 Feb 2007, 08:16 pm »
I designed a face plate for my Super PAS Three, and another for two of my Ultimate 70 amps. :drool: Should be here in a week or so. I'll photo them and post for you if you like when they arrive.

pman

« Reply #38 on: 21 Feb 2007, 06:48 pm »
pman - their work actually looks quite good.  It depends on picking a decent font and color combination - like most things, you can make it ugly if you want.  Take a look at some other examples from Head-Fi (last one is one of my amps):

You're right. All of these look much better than FPE's own examples. They oughta take note. :)

Can you actually choose a font? Back when I played around with the program they had only one choice of typeface.

BradJudy

« Reply #39 on: 21 Feb 2007, 10:05 pm »
It's a limited list of fonts, but there are around ten options IIRC. 

When I did my amp more than 2 years ago there were multiple font options - you can't see it in that pic, but I used a script style font on the left hand side of the panel.