OmegaStar EX Integrated Control Amplifer

avahifi

OmegaStar EX Integrated Control Amplifer
« on: 3 Feb 2007, 06:15 pm »
I finally have some decent info and photos posted at our web site now about our new integrated amplifier.

The link is:  http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipment/control_amplifier/index.htm

Oh yes, turn off the pop-up window blocker in your web browser to see the larger versions of the photos at the bottom of the page.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

modular747

Re: OmegaStar EX Integrated Control Amplifer
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2007, 07:40 pm »
This one should be a real winner.  You're right that there isn't anything else on the market that compares with its value (or absolute performance).  Please note the typo of "function" in the second line of the second paragraph.

Zero

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2007, 07:45 pm »
Frank,

That looks like a very good piece!  :thumb:   
Sucks to be broke!   :lol:

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2007, 10:34 pm »
As an owner of the 170EX (in a Dynaco Stereo 120 chassis), I must say that this amplifier is very musical, muscular and holographic! 90 watts with any medium to high effiency speaker will be more than enough power.  :drool:

W

Zheeeem

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2007, 10:52 pm »
I finally have some decent info and photos posted at our web site now about our new integrated amplifier.

Looks really nice, Frank.  If you made an Ultra integrated, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

BrianM

« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2007, 02:21 am »
So what exactly are you giving up going with the integrated over separate amp/preamp  (other than power)?

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2007, 05:26 am »
I couldn't get the mouseovers to work on the small pics- too bad, as I was curious to see the "innards" in more detail. Even from the small pics, looks like a much cleaner and less congested layout than your previous integrated in the smaller chassis (does the unit depicted have the phono input, though?) . Think you have a real hit on your hands, Frank!!!!  :D

(PS- Mouseovers worked with other browsers but not OmniWeb.)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 4 Feb 2007, 08:09 am »
...I was curious to see the "innards" in more detail.

Looks good....good luck with the integrated Frank !! :thumb:

CE2

« Reply #8 on: 4 Feb 2007, 12:44 pm »
 :cry: :cry: :cry: Yup, mouse don't enlarge images.  I sent note to webmaster from site, also. 

TjMV3

« Reply #9 on: 4 Feb 2007, 01:10 pm »
It worked perfectly for me.  All I had to do was move my mouse over the pic and it automatically enlarged.

Looks real nice, Frank.

avahifi

« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2007, 01:17 pm »
Turn off popup blocker in your browser.

avahifi

« Reply #11 on: 4 Feb 2007, 02:48 pm »
To answer BrianM's question, "what are you giving up?"

You are giving up about 30 watts per channel in power 90W vs: 120W for the OmegaStar 240EX amp because we cannot cram any bigger power transformer in this package.  You are also giving up upgrade flexibility because you have two components (preamp and amp) in one package and cannot upgrade one or the other in the future separately - - -  if you want more power later, you have to replace the whole thing.

You gain price savings.  The package costs about $150 less than the price of the separates.  You also gain space savings and convenience.  Only one component to deal with.  You also gain the assurance of improving your existing preamp and amplifier all at once, rather than doing it piecemeal and maybe matching a great amp or preamp with a so-so other component and not realizing all of the sonic benefits of AVA equipment.

It probably also has a better "wife factor"  :)

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

dB Cooper

« Reply #12 on: 4 Feb 2007, 02:53 pm »
That last one is a biggie...

BrianM

« Reply #13 on: 4 Feb 2007, 03:18 pm »
Well, it looks like a hugely appealing product. May you sell a million of them.

Right now I'm envisioning a really sweet "budget hifi" system for a smaller room, involving this new integrated, maybe some Ellis 1801s, and (if you're feeling indulgent) an Omega DAC. If you bought the speaker DIY kit you'd come in a little over 3 grand for a sound that would probably be tough to beat...

I seem to have trouble with the concept of "more power" in terms of the sound quality/satisfaction. I assume that at a given volume the two amps will sound basically identical. There seem to be two schools, one that "you can never have too much power" and two that "this little amp is more than enough power." I guess that amounts to wishing I had enough play money (or connections) to switch back and forth between components and speakers and see what the actual differences were.

WEEZ

« Reply #14 on: 4 Feb 2007, 04:30 pm »
Frank, is there room to cram in the buffered tape driver curcuits?

Brian, 90wpc is enough for most anyone except CE2.... :lol:

:duh:

WEEZ!

CE2

« Reply #15 on: 5 Feb 2007, 03:52 pm »
 :P :P :P :P  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:  Like driving an Audi A6 Bi-Turbo w/Quattro  Once you do, you can never go back to something less.  Once 4800+ WATTS brings it all ALIVE, anything less don't do it for me. Of course AVA pristine WATTS.

kbuzz3

« Reply #16 on: 6 Feb 2007, 04:09 am »
It needs a silver faceplate.   8)

silver face plate And id buy one in a second.....

guest1632

« Reply #17 on: 6 Feb 2007, 02:11 pm »

The link is:  http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipment/control_amplifier/index.htm

Oh yes, turn off the pop-up window blocker in your web browser to see the larger versions of the photos at the bottom of the page.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Hi Frank,

You didn't mention how many switching positions do you have, like CD Tuner, Aux, etc. Also, no possiblility of adding the tape loop?

Ray

Toka

« Reply #18 on: 6 Feb 2007, 03:20 pm »
Looks like another winner! Can't believe all you get for the price.  :o

avahifi

« Reply #19 on: 6 Feb 2007, 07:58 pm »
The OmegaStar Integrated Control Amplifier has six sets of selectable inputs, one set, "Special" used for phono if so optioned.  It has two sets tape outputs and one set line outputs besides the speaker outputs.  It also has a high quality headphone amp built it.  We can install the buffered tape outputs or the phono board, but likely not both at the same time, have not tried that yet.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine