Pas 4i or T8

Listens2tubes

Pas 4i or T8
« on: 24 Dec 2006, 04:13 am »
Hi Frank,
         My preamp is a Trancendence Eight in Super Pas 4i clothing. Your upgrade of my Pas 4i to T8 status is superb. With one exception, the front plate should read "Trancendence Eight Vacuum Tube Preamplifier" instead of "Super Pas Four Vacuum Tube Hybrid Preamplifier". The lettering looks to have been steciled on during the finishing process. Is there a way to fill in the lettering, leaving the area blank? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

rlee8394

Re: Pas 4i or T8
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2006, 04:13 pm »
You could use a black crayon or Sanford Sharpie. The lettering was accomplished during the anodizing process of the faceplate. I wouldn't bother though, it's what's on the inside that counts. Enjoy your preamp for the music it provides!!

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2006, 06:15 pm »
It is a double anodized faceplate, the lettering is permanent, part of the metal (true on all AVA made products).  We can do new circuits inside, but it would be way too expensive for you and us to offer new faceplates for all possible old models when circuit upgrades are done.

Enjoy what it is, not what the faceplate says. We have no economical way to change that.

Frank Van Alstine

Listens2tubes

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2006, 02:10 am »
Well I was reading the October edition of Affordable$$Audio and came across this webaddress  http://www.frontpanelexpress.com which is accompany that will manufacture a single custom faceplate based on a customers design. Main obstacle is the amount of text involved. So I was thinking of making a sectional plate overlaying the current text area full height (see photo) or overlaying the right side including the power switch and headphone jack. That being approximately 1/3 of the faceplate could lead to some design augmentation. Like thickness or color or both. I know I'm being a glutten for punishment as I click the Post button, but, I am an Existentialist  8) so LET ER RIP!

avahifi

« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2006, 11:51 am »
Go ahead and give it a try.  Unfortunately, its a PC program and I am a MAC guy.

Regards,

Frank

yeldarb

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2006, 05:49 pm »
As a fellow 4i owner, how about telling me how the upgrade sounds?  I upgraded the tranny earlier but am curious (which has proven dangerous to my wallet) as to what improvements your $$$ buys.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2007, 11:02 pm »
Although my system was down for a while during construction :cry: after which, I felt the soundstage had broadened, the backround was blacker and inner detail enhanced. :P I have written in other threads that the T8 gets out of the way to let musicality prevail. My guess is that it is more resolving with it's excellent regulation scheme.  8) Frank may have something to offer on this.

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2007, 10:35 pm »
I'm listening to my T8 though my 170ex today with the volume control set at 10 o'clock. The album is YES, BIG GENERATOR. The turntable is an Empire 598 with a new Audio Technica AT440MLa. The speakers are a perfect pair of Dynaco A25XL's. I'm in awe.................This is the perfect system. At least, for me.  aa

rustneversleeps

« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2007, 05:32 am »
I too, have an Empire 598, can you tell me where to get parts like belt, and rubber mounts for the motor?

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb 2007, 12:34 pm »
I get belts from www.LPGear.com and they are spendy devils at $30.50 at last purchase time. They are the only source that I know of, so I would order a few. Motor mount grommets are a different story. I think they might have been an OEM type of product made for Empire by some rubber company. I would suggest hitting a hardware store and see if you can find some rubber washers that are close in durometer (softness) and about the same thickness. I will try to source them as well.

Also, I recommend the AT440MLa cartridge for the Empire, as I am the AT pimp!  aa

W

Listens2tubes

« Reply #10 on: 18 Feb 2007, 04:08 pm »
Hi Guys,
         For a belt you should try http://www.KABUSA.com  Kevin will help you for sure and his site has plenty of good info. As always, Enjoy!

plaf26

« Reply #11 on: 18 Feb 2007, 10:07 pm »
KABUSA's great. Also try Jerry Raskin's Needle Doctor at www.needledoctor.com.

Wayner

« Reply #12 on: 18 Feb 2007, 10:15 pm »
The Needle Doctor's belts are the wrong size.

W