Salk Veracity HT-3 Speakers

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
Re: Salk Veracity HT-3 Speakers
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jan 2007, 03:31 pm »
About 6 years ago I read Rod Elliot's (Elliot Sound Products)commentary on Bi-Amping.  Rod writes very well, and appears very knowledgeable. His commentary on Bi-Amping was quite convincing.  Following his commentary it would appear that anyone wishing to obtain the very best possible sound surely must Bi-Amp.

A few months after this read I had the opportunity to hear my speakers and some $3k Totem's in a Bi-amp'd configuration using two Marantz PM-17 amplifiers.  I was able to a/b the single amp and bi-amp configurations.  I was unimpressed with Bi-Amping.  Sure, it sounded on-par with the single amp setup, but arguably didn't sound any better - at least to my ears.  The salesman at the store conveyed the audible impact was present, but agreed that it was very minimal.  I suppose the difference between bi-amping and single amping was on par with bi-wiring versus single wiring - very small. 

However, this is just my opinion.  Other's are welcome to disagree.

I suggest saving your nickles for a VanAlstine 350/550 and some HT3s - sooner rather than later.  @ 2 years ago the HT3 cost $3500, but the law of supply and demand will continue to precipitate higher prices.  The HT3 is a killer speaker, and should cost $10k IMO.  Oh, yes, and Frank's 550 Fet Valve will remain a stellar product.

Dave

BrianM

« Reply #21 on: 5 Jan 2007, 04:01 pm »
Interesting. Would the 350 do for powering some HT3s?

Toka

« Reply #22 on: 5 Jan 2007, 04:08 pm »
About 6 years ago I read Rod Elliot's (Elliot Sound Products)commentary on Bi-Amping.  Rod writes very well, and appears very knowledgeable. His commentary on Bi-Amping was quite convincing.  Following his commentary it would appear that anyone wishing to obtain the very best possible sound surely must Bi-Amp.

A few months after this read I had the opportunity to hear my speakers and some $3k Totem's in a Bi-amp'd configuration using two Marantz PM-17 amplifiers.  I was able to a/b the single amp and bi-amp configurations.  I was unimpressed with Bi-Amping.  Sure, it sounded on-par with the single amp setup, but arguably didn't sound any better - at least to my ears.  The salesman at the store conveyed the audible impact was present, but agreed that it was very minimal.  I suppose the difference between bi-amping and single amping was on par with bi-wiring versus single wiring - very small. 

However, this is just my opinion.  Other's are welcome to disagree.

I suggest saving your nickles for a VanAlstine 350/550 and some HT3s - sooner rather than later.  @ 2 years ago the HT3 cost $3500, but the law of supply and demand will continue to precipitate higher prices.  The HT3 is a killer speaker, and should cost $10k IMO.  Oh, yes, and Frank's 550 Fet Valve will remain a stellar product.

Dave

I appreciate the honest (and detailed) reply...thanks!  :thumb: I am surely saving all that I can...almost feel like a clocking is ticking down on the gear I desire...buy now or cry later.  :cry:

barnestn

« Reply #23 on: 5 Jan 2007, 07:49 pm »
If you think that you may have enough "nickels" saved within a year and you are sure you want the HT3s, then go ahead and contact Jim.  In the past, Jim has been gracious in allowing a minimal payment (say $100.00) to lock in the current price of the HT3s for one year.  If he will do this, then you will have up to 12 months to actually place your order.   Normally, Jim does this when he knows a price increase is forthcoming but you can always e-mail him and ask.  By the way, the money to lock-in a price is also applied to the purchase so you don't lose any money unless you change your mind.  I've had my HT3s and AVA electronics for a few months and while tastes vary, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with this combination.  Good luck!!

Toka

« Reply #24 on: 5 Jan 2007, 08:05 pm »
Hmmm...thanks for the tip! Part of my problem is I may be relocating due to work, but if I can hammer out some sort of schedule, I will certainly look into that. I feel a little better now.  :green:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #25 on: 5 Jan 2007, 09:07 pm »
The new Salk V3 MAY be in the $3500 price range as an alternative choice.

David Ellis

« Reply #26 on: 5 Jan 2007, 10:32 pm »
What's the V3?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #27 on: 5 Jan 2007, 10:34 pm »
What's the V3?

Half of a V6!!!   :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, it has been a very long week.

It is Jim's newest creation using Visaton drivers:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=34863.0

George

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #28 on: 5 Jan 2007, 10:47 pm »
Half of a V6!!!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought that half would be a staight three ?  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I must be havin' a long week too.... :wink:

Cheers

CE2

« Reply #29 on: 6 Jan 2007, 04:03 am »
 :D  There is no substitute for lotsa CLEAN fast WATTS.  I use 4 AVA OmegaStar EX Hafler Pro  500's..using 2 Ultra Bridge...4 amps makes it all come alive, there is no such thing as distortion, edge, or lack of SLAM and IMPACT like the LIVE EVENT.  My 4 Ohm speakers love the reserve, and use it well.  4 AVA OmegaStar EX Hafler Pro 500's are about 4800W RMS...The Ultra Bridges work GREAT.....Bi wiring is useless, without the amps hooked to the other ends.  3 15A AC lines feed the stuff off of 6 Furman  units..3 Pro-PF units and some PM-8 series II Bi Amping is very addictive, there is no substitute for POWER!!! Any good speaker will always sosund better, .  Originally one amp then 2, bass opens up, more defined, more control, then when ya quad amp, it's ALIVE!  Why reproduce sound at home if it don't sound like the live event...that's what it's all about.  Making it LIVE!!! AVA does it well.

avahifi

« Reply #30 on: 6 Jan 2007, 02:57 pm »
A single Fet Valve Ultra 350 is plenty of power for any of Jim Salk's loudspeakers.  I have tried a bridged setup with two Ultra 550 amps, and there certainly is something to what CE says, but most of us don't have the bucks for this kind of sonic overkill.

Anyway, a little know fact about the amplifiers, you can upgrade a new Ultra 350 to an Ultra 550 for simply the difference in purchase price (plus shipping) if you decide that you want more power after you purchase the "small" :)  ) Ultra amplifier.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

BrianM

« Reply #31 on: 6 Jan 2007, 03:20 pm »
Yo Frank, is that upgrade from 350 to 550 offer only good in the first 30-day window, or beyond that too? You know, just in case my stupidity metastasizes down the road. (The 350 is certainly plenty of power for my relatively inefficient speakers and not very large room.)

avahifi

« Reply #32 on: 6 Jan 2007, 05:07 pm »
Upgrade offer good until that model is superseeded by a newer version, and to owners of new amplifiers only.

Frank Van Alstine

CE2

« Reply #33 on: 7 Jan 2007, 10:12 am »
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) With each new added AVA amp, the sound got better and better.  From single 2 channel, to 2 mono, then 4 in mono..  Each time the bass got more defined, highs got smoother and smoother.  Each amp doing less, makes it all into sonic bliss.   Like the Audi RS4, with 420HP in that small car, don't mean you are doing 100MPH all the time, but when you wanna pull into traffic, no fear, it just goes!!  With lotsa reserve watts ready to go, when a great bass note with sparkling highs, and crystal clear mids, it all just happens like the live event!  4 OHM speakers I use, dip down into 3 or so, lotsa current needed, when needed the 4 AVA masterpieces deliver!.   :drool: With each update it gets better and better.  One question Frank, wouldn't say going to 10ga cord give the same electrical propertys as bi-wiring.  bi wiring without bi-amping seems all ya doing is running 2 wires in parallel, just increasing wire size, a single 10 guage (SoundKing maybe www.partsexpress.com , nice wire, mortally priced, never turns green either)  Since it termintaes at the same electrical point at the speaker.  Bi AMPING is a giant leap upward in transparency, separation etc. and making it all come alive. 

Toka

« Reply #34 on: 8 Jan 2007, 10:34 pm »
I don't want to belabor the discussion more than I already have, so I'll end with this...

Frank, just so I'm clear on what I'm going after here, in your opinion, would you consider the difference between one Ultra 550 vs. two 550's with the Ultra Bridge (on Salk HT3's) to be:

1. A noticeable improvement in some circumstances

2. A night-and-day difference across the board

3. So close its probably not worth doing

Again, I greatly appreciate your input...and for putting up with all the silly questions!  :oops:

A single Fet Valve Ultra 350 is plenty of power for any of Jim Salk's loudspeakers.  I have tried a bridged setup with two Ultra 550 amps, and there certainly is something to what CE says, but most of us don't have the bucks for this kind of sonic overkill.

Anyway, a little know fact about the amplifiers, you can upgrade a new Ultra 350 to an Ultra 550 for simply the difference in purchase price (plus shipping) if you decide that you want more power after you purchase the "small" :)  ) Ultra amplifier.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

avahifi

« Reply #35 on: 9 Jan 2007, 12:17 am »
I would start out with a single Fet Valve Ultra amplifier, the 550 if you are unsure of what you need.

I would direct the dollars for a second amp and bridge instead towards an Ultra SL preamplifier and Ultra DAC to get the very most out of the system. They are sooooo awesome sounding now.

A second amp and bridge would only come after that.  Yes, CE is correct with what he has, but he is running a set of enormous Legacy Whisper speakers that might need all the power.  I don't think the Salk HT3s do.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

EProvenzano

« Reply #36 on: 23 Jan 2007, 04:06 pm »
I'll send you some wires for testing Frank.

I know you are a lamp-cord guy, but perhaps Mrs. VanAlstine can convince you otherwise in a few regards.

Dave

Were you able to audition/test Dave's wires Frank?
Would you mind commenting?

Thanks

avahifi

« Reply #37 on: 23 Jan 2007, 05:20 pm »
 I have not had time to test the speaker wires sent to me yet.

Also, I will only be able to listen in mono, there are not two of a kind long enough to reach my speaker locations.

I will give a shot at it when I can.  Right now the work load is huge filling orders.

Frank

David Ellis

« Reply #38 on: 24 Jan 2007, 02:14 am »
Right now the work load is huge filling orders.

Wonderful  :thumb:

It's nice to know that you will be able to continue paying the mortgage and buying groceries!!

Dave

EProvenzano

« Reply #39 on: 24 Jan 2007, 08:54 pm »
groceries?...what's that?  more fries, more fries Frank!  :lol:

Thanks guys  :thumb: